PDA

View Full Version : bit fitting?

Mr.GMan
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:19 PM
I am looking for a guide on how to choose bits for your horse. Especially how to tell if it fits or not. Thanks!

ETA: we have started schooling first level. Currently use the KK aurigan, the one with the link in the middle...I don't think he is liking it. His teeth have been done. He gets adjusted, just does not like the contact with it anymore.

goeslikestink
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
I am looking for a guide on how to choose bits for your horse. Especially how to tell if it fits or not. Thanks!

ETA: we have started schooling first level. Currently use the KK aurigan, the one with the link in the middle...I don't think he is liking it. His teeth have been done. He gets adjusted, just does not like the contact with it anymore.

look here read page one

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178116

Petstorejunkie
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:56 PM
I can sympathize. I was actually going to start a thread on the evolution of bits as the horse progresses but had a feeling it would trainwreck.
I've recently gone through something similar with my horse. The reader's digest version is the quest for the right bit landed me at a dr bristol several years ago, and suddenly I had a horse that was willing in the bridle and HAPPY.
Time has passed and he has progressed, he's in a taller carriage of his body now as we are working up the levels, and suddenly that dr bristol caused teeth grinding, epic resistance, locking his neck and his tongue turned blue (and I wasn't pulling :eek:)
What I've concluded was that the bit created a strange angle when he raised his poll higher with the higher level work, and actually started to dig into his tongue.
I knew based on his mouth anatomy evaluation (shallow palate, fat tongue, small bar spacing, medium bit seat, sensitive bars, and a moderate lip) that he needed something thinner. He's now in a myler french link loose ring and is much happier. I'd prefer a myler french link eggbutt, but that's okay.