PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Google Maps - Area II

Duckz
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:03 PM
I'm pretty new to the eventing scene, and I can never seem to keep track of where everything is an how long it's gonna take me to get there. Since I can't possibly be the only person with this problem, I present.....Area II in Awesome Map Form (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216556470123519659360.0004a8809913a690b623 4&msa=0)! The blue ones are recognized events, the red ones are venues with xc schooling, clinics, starter trials, etc.

Let me know what I can do to improve this map! :)

kcrubin
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:18 PM
Love it!! See if they can put a link to it on the omnibus site.

Beam Me Up
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:58 PM
AWESOME! Thanks! I bookmarked.

sarah88
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:40 PM
this is great!

gerut
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
Great - thank you!

wildlifer
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:55 PM
You must live in MD, LOL, I see a giant dot cluster. The Fork and Carolina Horse Park are not the same thing. The Fork is in Norwood, CHP is near Raeford.

ctab
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
Its so great!
HOW did you create it?

Duckz
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:58 PM
You must live in MD, LOL, I see a giant dot cluster. The Fork and Carolina Horse Park are not the same thing. The Fork is in Norwood, CHP is near Raeford.

Oh thanks, I think it's fixed now! Yes, I happen to be from Maryland, but all of those blue dots are straight out of the omnibus... I think we just have more venues up here :) If you want to send me starter/schooling venues in your area, I'll add them to the map!

Duckz
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:00 PM
Its so great!
HOW did you create it?

I went to Google Maps, typed in an address, then hit "save to map" and created a new map. Then I went to the omnibus and typed in the addresses for all the venues and saved all those to the same map. It was pretty easy!

tres grey
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:36 AM
...I'm drooling over here. When can I move up to Area 2?!

lstevenson
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:45 AM
That is cool!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

retreadeventer
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:55 AM
Can you add Olde Hope Farms? Earleville, MD. They have a whole season of unrecognized events. (You got it, I see it now!)
HAve you included Carousel Farms in Wilmington, DE. They are located on Limestone Pike. DVCTA puts on two unrecognized horse trials at that location.
And St. Augustine PC unrecognized. They take place at the old Middletown pony club course which is on Mitten Road, and the very end of Mitten Rd. in Chesapeake City, MD.

Duckz
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:41 AM
Added them, thanks!

LisaB
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:48 AM
So cool! Thanks!

kcmel
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:16 AM
Great job! Thanks!

oldpony66
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:17 AM
Another great schooling place is Burgundy Hollow Farms .... it's in Northampton PA. They also run three schooling events, starter through Novice.

wildlifer
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Oh thanks, I think it's fixed now! Yes, I happen to be from Maryland, but all of those blue dots are straight out of the omnibus... I think we just have more venues up here :) If you want to send me starter/schooling venues in your area, I'll add them to the map!

You can stick a dot on Mebane, NC, where there are schooling HT's and XC schooling at FenRidge. In Mocksville, NC, TTC has schooling HT's as well. In Tryon, right near the NC/SC border, there are recognized and schooling HT's, as well as XC schooling. And don't forget Southern Eighths in Chesterfield, SC, a beautiful long-format facility that has recognized HT's and XC schooling too. (Ok, that's technically in Area III, but I count it b/c it's closer to me than Tryon and it's practically on the border!)

Jul. 26, 2011, 10:05 AM
You rock!!

Duckz
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
You can stick a dot on Mebane, NC, where there are schooling HT's and XC schooling at FenRidge. In Mocksville, NC, TTC has schooling HT's as well. In Tryon, right near the NC/SC border, there are recognized and schooling HT's, as well as XC schooling. And don't forget Southern Eighths in Chesterfield, SC, a beautiful long-format facility that has recognized HT's and XC schooling too. (Ok, that's technically in Area III, but I count it b/c it's closer to me than Tryon and it's practically on the border!)

Ok, I think I've got it! Can someone clarify FENCE for me? I found a FENCE Equestrian Center in Tryon, NC that does Horse Trials, but on the Omnibus it shows FENCE as Area III and located in SC :confused:

curlykarot
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
You should add Gordonsdale - a great xc schooling course: http://www.gordonsdale.com/index.html

wildlifer
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:30 PM
Tryon is listed under Area III. I have no idea why. But it is in NC.

Duckz
Jul. 26, 2011, 06:47 PM
Weird. Oh well, I put it on there. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! It's great that we have so many amazing venues in our area :)

besum1
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:56 AM
Tryon is in NC, but Landrum is in SC and FENCE sits on the border- well basically. You have to drive through SC to get there so I guess since you do visit an Area III state they can count it as Area III?

I guess thats the problem with "border towns"- you never really know where you are!!! hehehe :)

canterlope
Jul. 27, 2011, 05:55 AM
Please add Green Hill Park Equestrian Center (3250 Spillway Lane, Salem VA 24153). Unrecognized events and cross country schooling (must be a member of the Park to school, but day passes are available and yearly membership fees are minimal).

Duckz
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:50 AM
Please add Green Hill Park Equestrian Center (3250 Spillway Lane, Salem VA 24153). Unrecognized events and cross country schooling (must be a member of the Park to school, but day passes are available and yearly membership fees are minimal).

Thanks!

barnworkbeatshousework
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:40 AM
awesome, thanks!

JP60
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:39 AM
That is some great work. Lots of manual processing so I hope folks in Area II give a big thank you and appreciation for the effort.

As a software developer I look at that and think, it would be cool to scrape information off UESA like, event, location, recognized or not, date run (as minimum), web link and load that into a database. Then a simple asp page could display all events, color coded by relationship to current date (red is past, yellow is current open, green is future, and providing a link to either the USEA information or the local website. Google maps, along with microsoft's map and yahoo all have the capability to programatically display points from data files. Now if I had time between the full time job, taking care of a small farm and horses, practicing, lessons, going to shows, and having a life I'd try to write that up.

FENCE is in area III. It is a fantastic location for shows. They recently built a great covered area that holds at least three small rings inside. The cross country is beautiful. I love this one spot where you are on top of a hill and can look over a valley towards the Blue Ridge mountains (or Smokies, I get them confused).

Duckz
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:56 AM
As a software developer I look at that and think, it would be cool to scrape information off UESA like, event, location, recognized or not, date run (as minimum), web link and load that into a database. Then a simple asp page could display all events, color coded by relationship to current date (red is past, yellow is current open, green is future, and providing a link to either the USEA information or the local website. Google maps, along with microsoft's map and yahoo all have the capability to programatically display points from data files. Now if I had time between the full time job, taking care of a small farm and horses, practicing, lessons, going to shows, and having a life I'd try to write that up.

Now we're talking :D USEA Omnibus - There's (Not) an App For That...but there could be! My head would explode in a rainbow of joy.

I missed my calling as a software developer :no:

Kairoshorses
Jul. 27, 2011, 02:27 PM
can I just say how jealous I am?!?! I hope y'all appreciate how many/how close these are!

WP
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:38 PM
THANK YOU!!!

SonnysMom
Jul. 28, 2011, 04:36 PM
I don't know if you want to add this farm as it is only xc schooling for LL -up to training only. I have driven by it a number of times and the jumps look nice.
http://www.roundthebendfarmxc.com/

kichiri_kachiri
Jul. 29, 2011, 05:51 PM
awesomeness!!! :D

also add:

http://www.elysianhills.com/
5571 John Barton Payne Road
Marshall, Virginia 20115

XC schooling
horse trials & schooling shows

retreadeventer
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:52 AM
Once again I amazed that we have so many and that Duckz is doing this. What a great idea. It needs to be a permanent bookmark!

Duckz
Jul. 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
Once again I amazed that we have so many and that Duckz is doing this. What a great idea. It needs to be a permanent bookmark!

CookiePony has been updating the list in the Eventing FAQs sticky at the top. People have added a few other areas in the other thread. We're getting close :)

And now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to fix myself a cup of coffee and bailey's and ponder getting dumped yesterday (by the guy, not the horse).

Ghazzu
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:02 PM
Apple Knoll Farm on Forest Lane, in Millis MA (Area I) has unrecognized events, schooling, and sometimes a recognized event.

wildlifer
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:05 PM
Stupid boys. But you've still got the horse, they're better anyway.

I did think of another one -- http://www.foxtrack.net
They're down in S. Pines as well here in NC and do GREAT intro, baby BN type schooling event on their beautiful little farm in a pecan grove. First HT I ever did, loved it, very friendly to newbies and I highly recommend it to anyone starting out.

BlueRidgeEventer
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:08 PM
Can you add Green Hill Park Equestrian Center in Salem, VA? There's a cross country course there open for schooling year round for members of the park (it's only $45 for a yearly membership). There are also a few schooling combined tests and a horse trials each year hosted by BREA, a USEA affiliate.

Duckz
Jul. 30, 2011, 01:28 PM
Apple Knoll Farm on Forest Lane, in Millis MA (Area I) has unrecognized events, schooling, and sometimes a recognized event.

I did think of another one -- http://www.foxtrack.net

Can you add Green Hill Park Equestrian Center in Salem, VA?

Got them, thanks.

FenRidge
Sep. 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
Cool!

lcw579
Sep. 7, 2011, 08:45 PM
Just an FYI re: Radnor

There are 2 open schooling nights held there a year. One after the pony club event rally in the summer (June or July) and the other on the Tuesday after the horse trials in October.

Also for those of you who are close: anyone can purchase a subscription to the pony club grounds and have access to xc schooling up to training level with water, a ditch and bank jump, a dressage arena and two fenced stadium rings (1 lighted) any time they want. There is even a wash stall.