PDA

View Full Version : Riders step up

tle
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:48 PM
As everyone knows, the heat this past weekend was pretty bad all over. Here in Ohio, we hit low to mid 90s with bad humidity both days. Gemwood ran this weekend. Despite a few issues here and there with individuals, overall I am very proud (again) to be part of this sport. A meeting was held on Saturday at the lunch break with riders and officials to discuss the heat. Great tips on dealing with the heat for both horses and humans were given out by the vet and safety coordinator as well as the on-site EMTs. After that, (I ducked away to get some lunch) I guess the riders all decided that they would like the XC schedule on Sunday moved up to an hour earlier start time. Organizer and officials were happy to comply as long as we had the volunteers to make it run since we would need to call all our previously scheduled volunteers and see if they could come an hour earlier (6;30 for the briefing instead of 7:30). The riders stepped up to the plate and made it happen! Several of our early morning volunteers were riders later in the day. no one complained about the change in the schedule. And ti worked out perfectly. An hour after we were done, the skies opened up and we got hammered by a typical summertime afternoon thunderstorm. Rain in sheets with an amazing lightening show and significant winds.

Anyway... I wanted to post some good news. Major kudos to the riders who made it happen along with (of course) Laura and her staff and regular volunteers at Gemwood this past weekend. Ya'll did an incredible job in the heat. I dont' think we had 1 heat-related injury all weekend. :D

baxtersmom
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
We had five riders down there, they all had great rides and good time despite the heat! Kudos to the organizers and competitors!

secretariat
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:19 PM
My complements to you, Laura, and the officials for listening to the riders' suggestions and needs. 99% of the time, if you let the affected people make choices the best options are selected.

hhfarm
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:28 PM
In 20 years of eventing, the weather that blessed Gemwood this weekend may have been the hottest I've ever competed in!

All the more reason for HUGE pats on the backs to Laura, Paula, TLE, and the crew... I can only imagine how much more work this made for all of them, especially with so many changes in the schedule. But their hard work to change the schedule made everything so much better for the riders and horses.

It was a great event! Thanks to everyone for all their hard work!

slp2
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:40 PM
Don't know if you saw my post giving props to Gemwood in my "when is it too hot to compete" thread, but it's worth repeating.

Thanks so much for everyone who made the earlier x-c rides happen. Also appreciated the rider meeting that gave us some good information and let us make the right decision.

Despite the heat--our group survived and had a great time. My horse recovered great after x-c (with the suggested ice water sponging that the vet recommended) and I did fine too! Thanks for waiving jackets early--I didn't even pack mine! :D

NeverTime
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:12 AM
:)

Auburn
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:59 AM
tle,

"I don't think that there was 1 heat-related injury all weekend."

Gee, I wonder to whom you could have been referring? ;)

This past weekend was the year anniversary of my week long stay in the Miami Valley Hospital from heat exhaustion, because I did not hydrate while grooming for my friend at Gemwood. I am so thankful that everyone at Gemwood was looking out for each other.

Since a large portion of this nation is in the "heat bubble", every event needs to take the preparations that Gemwood did to keep their riders safe in the heat. Kudos to Laura, tle, the volunteers and the riders for making it a safe weekend. :)