PDA

View Full Version : First Novice event!

Action42
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:33 PM
So I took my giant red horse and myself to the Carolina Horse Park this weekend for their starter horse trial. After a few BN events and a couple of wins, I decided to move on up.

It was really hot but my ride times had me done by 11:30 so we went on. His dressage warmup was lovely and we turned in a really nice test. There was one pilot error finishing us up with a 31.1 (should have been a 29.1, dang it). Had one rail in stadium also due to pilot error (let him get too flat on the way into the 2 stride). XC had me a little intimidated especially a max height table that was jump #8 we rolled on nicely, jumping out of a nice hand gallop. The ex dressage horse himself didn't even look at anything. The table came up and I meddled a little too much with his stride and pace so we got a little close but he rocked back and saved us both. Good boy! He galloped right through the water, jumped nicely through an a,b that was a feeder 3 strides to a down bank and finished in fine style, 18 seconds under optimum. We did manage to lose one of our shoes along the way (a special plastic shoe, nonetheless) but I could not have been happier with him! We ended up in 2nd (would have been 1st if not for my error in dressage!) and I am just thrilled.

Now I'm looking forward to our next event, maybe we'll move up to recognized and shoot for the AEC next year. :-) Just had to share. Pictures are here!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100231112680249.2566333.11820846&l=34ea3e35c8&type=1

Heliodoro
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:50 PM
Congrats! I just completed my first Novice too!

OMG, you competed in the South this weekend? I was in VA until Saturday and would have melted out on any course!

KC058
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:54 PM
Congrats!! Hoping to do my first novice here soon!

eventer_mi
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:44 PM
Congrats! and thanks for posting - I am planning on moving up to Novice with my red guy soon, and it was very helpful to hear your course description and the pictures that accompanied it. I scratched from that show, due to the heat, so kudos to you for doing as well as you did. You two look very capable! Maybe see you at Five Points?

Action42
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:50 PM
Eventer - I sure hope so! What div were you in? Maybe we can meet up! Send me a PM if you want. :-)

SweetieG
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:13 AM
Congratulations! Your guy looks a lot like my mare. Almost identical markings. Is he a TB? Maybe they're related. ;)

My goal is to qualify at Novice for AEC's next year, too. Maybe we will see you there! Fingers crossed!

Oh, and you probably know this, but no bell boots allowed in dressage at the recognized shows. Wouldn't want you to get the E before ever really getting started. :) Sorry you still lost a shoe on xc. Were you able to find it?

Noctis
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:15 AM
Congrats! He looks great! And ditto re the bell boots in recognized dressage! He looks like an absolute blast! The Pony will be coming out at Novice next season too!

Action42
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:11 AM
Thanks guys, I do know about the bell boots but since it was a schooling trial I asked the TD ahead of time if I could leave his boots on. We normally spend our time in the USDF/USEF dressage ring where we can't wear boots either.

We never did find the shoe. :-/

He is a branded Hanoverian, 17.2hh by Acord II. He is a blast but NOT an easy ride. I'm just so proud of him. :-)