PDA

View Full Version : Those with hay fields....

A3dayeventer2009
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:01 AM
We want to build our own barn when we get back to the states (currently hubby is military and we're stationed in Germany).

To make this post short and sweet, would it be wise to buy property soon and start having hay taken off of it to sell for the next few years? I know it makes the quality of the grass so much better for pastures to have hay taken off of it, but my main question is, would I be able to make enough off of it to counter taxes, payments etc?

A3dayeventer2009
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:20 PM
bump

lawndart
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:24 PM
I think that would depend what quality grasses or legumes are presently on it. If it is Alfalfa or timothy, it would be best to have someone farm it until you are ready to use it yourself.

If it is just grasses, just having someone mow it once a month or so (depending on growth) and letting the cuttings lay for mulching/self fertilization would be best. Not a heavy mulch, you would have to cut when it is below a foot or so of growth. Once grass goes to seed, it quits growing, so you want to mow before that.

SuperAlter
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
Ehh, Once hay is in the barn for more than a year it is usually sold for less. Really, I dont think stocking it would be worth it. After you pay the farmer to mow and bale,pay help to get it actually IN the barn ( I dont know if you planned on flying over to help with this ) and if you dont have a barn to keep it in that doesnt help much either.

Nes
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
I know there are a few people around here giving away standing hay for free. I don't know they quality, but that might give you an idea. Having someone cut/bale/etc. for you is really only worth if you're using the hay yourself.

That probably varies quite a bit depending on where you're moving :yes:

A3dayeventer2009
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:43 PM
Thanks everyone. Kind of sounds like it's not worth it.

tasia
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:49 PM
Depends. My hay guy only charges me if I buy his half of the hay. I pay for fertilizer, weed spray and pesticide. I get my ag exemp on my taxes, hay for my horses and usually enough hay to sell to cover my expenses. I bought my property and hayed it for a few years before I built my farm.

monalisa
Aug. 5, 2011, 10:26 AM
I think you would have trouble finding people that would reliably do the work for you since you are not here to supervise. Finding people where I live who will actually show up and do the work on a regular basis is very difficult, if not impossible.

okggo
Aug. 8, 2011, 04:00 PM
Location is everything. We had more than one neighbor contact us when we moved in asking if they could cut our fields for hay and we have mainly fescue, some clover, and yes...weeds.