PDA

View Full Version : I'm BACK! + Long Awaited GVH Re-cap

Heliodoro
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm sure some of you have missed me. I'm also sure some of you really haven't noticed...

I've been down in Virginia for my Army training for the past two weeks. I really don't know why anyone would voluntarily live in there in July! I'm just happy I'm back where the heat index stays below 100 :D.

Onwards to the re-cap:

GVH HT was freaking awesome! Ground was a little hard and it was warm for some, but my rides were at 8:30am so it was just about as perfect as you could want! Learned I memorized my dressage test wrong... in the ring... in front of one of my riding idols, Doug Payne! One too many half circles at the canter, ah well won't do THAT again. Goober was very obedient and followed my cues, totally pilot error, to which someone else said "ya know, it's better that it was pilot error and not that you couldn't get him to turn or stop!" But we did score an 8 on our left canter circle :cool:, which is pretty much unheard of for my horse!!! Ended up with a 39.1, sitting in 7th place, not our best, but our first Novice test and my boneheaded error, I was happy with it.

Sunday was jump day. I was first from my barn out on course. I had walked it 3 times over the weekend, I had it all mapped out, knew where I had to kick-on and where to come back. SJ went numerically, so I was 7th in. After doing jumpers all spring, the sj looked really long ("ooo a galloping lane!") and had a few questions, but very appropriate. After the first 3 riders, I knew this was not going to be a dressage show! Rails were falling, one rider took out a jump, the rider 2 before I was to go fell... I turned my horse the other way! I got in there and got the job done, though my riding skills went out the window! My self-deprecating reminders during my vocal narration on course, were apparently heard in the patrons tent. Thank god my mouth filters were in place :eek:! Goober saved my bacon more than once and a few times he started to back off, but spurs in and by George he went over! We ended up with on rail at the white oxer #8, but again thrilled with our round. We moved up to 6th after SJ.

Loved that they gave riders cold water bottles after both jumping rounds! Stopped by my trainer's husband on my way to xc so he could put Goober's front boots on. Once booted, we went on to jump the log out in xc warm up and then headed to the start box. The course flowed really well, especially since it was new to everyone with it running backwards from years past. I had 3 combinations on the Novice course, including a tight-ish bending line at fence 5, a water crossing combo and a feeder to ditch. I was mostly concerned about 5AB and the brush fence that was placed on a hill side with a interesting left turn approach. Once we tackled 5AB, I knew we were golden. Being a hunt horse, he attacked the hill and that brush jump was foot perfect with the drop some 5 strides after. I need to relive those 2 jumps for the rest of my life, they felt that great! We finished double clear xc, though we were a bit on the quick side. I wanted to keep him forward with lots of impulsion, I didn't even set my watch. I met those goals and was thrilled with the results!

We came home with 4th place at our first Novice event! And then I shipped off to VA that evening...

SEPowell
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:58 AM
Glad you're back! And glad you and Goober had such a great day. I didn't get there until noon so I missed your whole ride. I had a job writing in dressage so I barely had a chance to look up. I loved my job, but darn that I missed every one of your rides.

So, congratulations on your first novice, and a super one at that!

EventingJ
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:19 PM
I saw your sj round from warm up, you guys looked great! I thought the GVH Novice course was a bit tough, was also my mare's and I first Novice outing - but she ate everything up!

Will we see you at GVRDC next month?

Heliodoro
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:12 PM
GVH certainly had some merit, I was surprised by the bending line combo on my first walk! Really love my trainer who knows how to push us out of our comfort-zone, but never in a dangerous manner. Our last xc school was phenomenal, she didn't tell me we were mastering Training and "soft" Prelim questions until the day after!!

I am so planning on GVRDC. Can I recruit your hubby for photos?

EventingJ
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:23 PM
I think I was just expecting an easy course, and got a little nervous when the course was completely redone - lots of combos including the water, and I was a little nervous about the brush to the bank down (down banks are my bugaboo since I fell off at that exact down bank last year when the mare took a leaping dive off it lol, but I've pretty much overcome that).

DH would certainly take pictures! I didn't realize who you were at GVH, until I heard the announcer say your horse's name and had to wonder why it sounded so familiar.