PDA

View Full Version : trainer for Cross Country

sorabird
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:41 PM
So, I'm considering sending my horse out for training for cross country. I want to take her out eventing, but neither of us have cross country before. Plus work is being crazy so I barely have time to ride. She jumps around at 2ft6" at home with no problem, but could use more impulsion. I haven't lived up here very long, so I don't know what's around here. It would need to be within three hours, which is basically the NYC/Philly metro area. Any suggestions for where to find someone or should I just try to do it on my own?

scubed
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:20 AM
Sally Cousins is great at starting all sorts of horses cross country www.sallycousins.com

SLR
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:04 AM
Doug Payne in NJ www.dpequestrian.com

asterix
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
If you have the funds to send her to someone (both of those recs are good), do.

If you have access to a good event trainer, take lessons.

Don't start her xc yourself if you have no experience with it; very easy to create problems that are very hard to solve later on!

Enjoy the sport, it's a ton of fun.

Highflyer
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:39 PM
I also recommend Sally! She's one of the best xc riders out there.

That said, I have always started mine myself, and if you are reasonably confident and the horse is sensible and somewhat brave and you have access to a good trainer who will go out with you to school, that's a good option, too.

sorabird
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:03 PM
I also recommend Sally! She's one of the best xc riders out there.

That said, I have always started mine myself, and if you are reasonably confident and the horse is sensible and somewhat brave and you have access to a good trainer who will go out with you to school, that's a good option, too.

Thanks for the info! I used to ride with Jennifer Holder in Midland, NC but since I've moved back to PA I'm in hunter jumper land and the closest x-c trainer is 1.5 hours from me, probubly 2 pulling a trailer. I've jumped judged a lot, so I have some idea of how it goes, but I Glory wasn't ready when I was at Jennifer's and then I had to move for work. I rode with the trainer in Milford once, and he says he only likes horses with lots of energy, which doesn't describe my horse. I've been trying to get a trailer, but have been thinking about putting the money into training instead and waiting on the trailer. I'll contact both Doug and Sally and see what they say.

retreadeventer
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:47 PM
I would like to suggest Sinead Halpin, too, she's very near to where you are, as well. I think you would like her too -- she's very nice and will give your horse the personal attention she may not get in a very large barn with lots of horses to be schooled every day.

Most of us have learned to accept travel distances as just a part of life in eventing! So 2 hours for a good quality lesson is about par, but I think training is a good idea. Good luck! :)

Cameraine
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:26 PM
Sinead Halpin is fabulous, and right there in NJ.