PDA

View Full Version : Do skunk repellents work?

SLW
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:21 PM
Damn skunk is back...under my hay, nesting. I flushed her out a few weeks back and she stayed away until this week. :mad:

Online I see a number of skunk repellents. Do they work or does anyone recommend something else to reduce/stop the blasted critter from moving in??

Once I kill this one I would like to not have to deal with this anymore.

I.hate.skunks.in.my.barn.

cowgirljenn
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:56 AM
I had them under the tack room floor, burrowing into my barn aisle (and creating sink holes). I got one of the skunk/small animal repellants at Lowe's, just hoping it would work. I think it has - I haven't seen signs of a skunk or smelled one in a while.

SLW
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:35 PM
Hey thanks. At the clinic today a client suggested mothballs but I have used those in the past without success. They do make deadly holes don't they??

rmh_rider
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
Repellants such as loud music, dogs everywhere, giant pythons or boas, a well secured barn/house, electric fences set low, .22, and/or moving to another house and property? Yes they can work.

Play the loudest heavy metal music with alot of bass.

Also, do some searches and get up to speed on skunks and their m.o.

I HATE skunks. We have had some issues with them. I am happy the smell does go away. But in one area, it hasn't and it has been a year or two.

SLW
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:40 PM
We are on small acerage. Evidently I have the Ivanna Trump of skunks, she prefers my nice large barn over the small vacant shed with old hay in it and wood piles at the edge of the property. As I said above, I made the barn nest uncomfortable for her a few weeks back by uncovering it and hosing her down. Next step is the .22 since my goofy passive methods don't work. My JRT would kill her if I gave him the command but I hate to jack around with exposing him to rabies. No boas but abundant black snakes and the occasional copperhead.

Online there are many products advertized as deterrents and that makes the most sense to me- humane, a "live and let live" outcome and no problematic wildlife in my barn. In Kansas, skunks are the #1 animal to carry rabies so once they move in, the game is different. ;)

rmh_rider
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:25 AM
Caution on the "live and let live" they will come back to stay due such lovely accommodations.

Maybe you should let your Jack get after the skunk. Not much to the dog (meaning the dog is small) to wash, get the soap before hand so you are prepared to wash immediately. Your dog has HAD a rabies shot to protect against. I also doubt the dog would get bit. They are fast and I am sure your Jack knows what he is doing.

One of my Toy Manchester Terriers has taken out many mocking birds who have invaded our blueberry bushes. The bushes are double netted btw, but still they get in. We do toss the bodies over the fence, and Mr/Mrs Grey fox has an easy snack. We are now at a bird count of 26.

Maybe dog power is what you need now. If you see the skunk, get it with a 22 then there is no risk of your dog to be exposed to rabies.

You can trap it. If you do that watch all videos you can online to learn how/what to do.

I smell mr/ms skunk this morning somewhere but not near my barn. Hope he/she doesn't come here! If so I will play horrible music in the barn 24/7/365 until it leaves, then seal up where it came in. My dogs will tell me it is gone. And they will tell me something is there.

Good luck.