PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo, vets for a prepurchase in/near Lexington, KY?

deltawave
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:11 PM
I think I may have found him! The new horse, that is . . . the human man of my dreams has been around for 19 years. :lol:

WHAT a fun ride I had--I got up at 6 to drive down, rode, and drove all the way back in thunderstorms, smiling the whole way. :D

I am NOT being coy--I promise everyone will hear all about it ad nauseam if and when the time coms--but the "not yet vetted" stage is sensitive for sellers, so out of respect I am keeping things quiet for now.

There is no way on God's green earth I will have the time to be there for this vet check unless I schedule it in . . . oh, NOVEMBER. So this will have to be done without me. I'm OK with it, but would love it if anyone had any particular names to share. I know Hagyard and R&R, of course, but are there any specifics you can recommend?

Thanks. :)

goodmorning
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
Think there's also a thread asking the same question in h/j land :)

Good luck!

QHEventr
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
There are some very good vets in the area. If I were having a horse vetted, I would hands down use Chris Newton, at R&R. He is a brilliant sporthorse vet, and works on some of the top event horses in the nation. I wouldnt trust anyone else as much to vet one for me. He is wonderful!! (super busy though, so availability may be tough)

Johanna

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:24 PM
Dr. Newton at Rood and Riddle!

AKB
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:25 PM
You may want to ask the seller to video the prepurchase exam so you can review it with your vet if you have any questions.

Years ago, we bought an actively eventing OTTB in Florida. I insisted that the seller trailer him to a well known clinic (and paid her to transport him). When I talked with the clinic vet, he told me that usually he has a list of findings on a horse. In contrast, this horse was perfect. He did not recommend x-rays, so we naively did not get them.

After we got the horse home, I thought the horse didn't move quite right. We took him to our usual vet at the vet school. Her first comment as he trotted off the trailer on the pavement, was "does he always move like that?" He was lame in all 4 legs (navicular, hock changes, a little ringbone, etc). We kept him going for years, but it was a big effort. I don't know how an experienced vet at a big name clinic missed all of those findings, but he did.

Sorry to be the worry wart, but do be careful when you buy a horse from outside your geographic area. Be particularly careful if you are not present at the vetting. If you and your vet see a video of at least the flexions, the pavement jog and pavement lunge, you will feel reassured.

I hope it all works out, and he is Mr. Perfect!

scubed
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:29 PM
Also have had horses vetted by Dr. Newton and was ver pleased

RedRyderKy
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:40 PM
I'll recommend Dr Jennifer Feiner at Hagyards, she is an active
Eventer and was very involved with horses during WEG and I believe the Olympics in China. There is also Dr Duncan Peters at Hagyards whom I dealt with during a lease of my horse.

deltawave
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
Assuming all of the vets at Hagyard (for instance) would charge the same? Or is it by practitioner?

LAZ
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:32 PM
I have (and would) use Chris Newton if it were at all possible. He is a great vet as well as understanding what event horses do--he's vetted a couple for me down in Lexington when I couldn't be there and I have complete faith in him.

eponacowgirl
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:52 PM
Team Taco and crew use Duncan Peters at Hagyard for their lameness stuff. :)

FlightCheck
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:46 AM
Do it next week and i will be your representative!,,, ;;-)

RedRyderKy
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:07 AM
DW- Not 100% sure of an answer regarding prices between vets at the same clinic.

annikak
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
Any of those names are great. I personally love Jen (because I think she's great, practical, rides, did USPC, is well trained) but you cannot go wrong in any case. :-). Great place to have to vet a horse!

riderboy
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:42 AM
Chris Newton. No question. He's a great vet, he events and he teaches. He knows all sides of sporthorse vetting.

FoxChaser
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:29 AM
You have a PM :)

deltawave
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. :)

I do not have any particular beliefs in the abilities of a PPE to divine the future, and am not entirely sure I care much about more than the basic X-rays, neuro tests, and reasonable, non-aggressive flexions. So I'm not altogether sure I need the "vet of champions" here. :lol: This would, in fact, be only the second horse I've ever vetted! The horse is reasonably well-built, good feet, easy on himself movement-wise and young. Frankly these things mean MUCH more to me than muttering incantations and squeezing their legs. ;)

I'm looking for skeletal "deal breakers" and occult neuro weirdness. :lol:

Waiting for a call back from R&R. :)

evntr5218
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:32 AM
i second the reccomendations of Jen Feiner or Duncan Peters at Hagyards!!! Both fantastic vets and are very involved in the sport horse side of things at the clinic.

CookiePony
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
We've been working with Dr. Peters but have also interacted with Drs. Feiner and Newton and think highly of both. All three have volunteered their time to classic-format events. Echoing annikak that LEX is a good place to find a vet!

SLR
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:59 AM
Chris Newton hands down. Absolutely up front, no BS, no worrying about CHA, Speaks in layman's terms. Setting up a "relationship" with him means he'll also be available to you at KHP, because he's usually there. I've had him care for horses in between his rides! Super guy. He's ridden thru intermediate, done YR's, really understands rider/owner issues.

clivers
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:16 AM
No recommendations from me, just a "fingers crossed" and possibly early "congrats"!
When we vetted Franklin the PPE vet emailed the xrays to our vet at home and they discussed them together. For me, not knowing the ppe vet and how high she sets the bar, it was helpful to have our home vet put it all in perspective :)

Hannahsmom
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:30 AM
I'm a big fan of Duncan Peters. Of course he was best man at my brother's wedding way back when! Was always good at picking horses. Chris Newton is another one I'd go with. Sounds like you have some great options.