PDA

View Full Version : Anyone With Racehorses That Have Had Tie Forward Surgery? Improved Performance?

MintHillFarm
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:25 PM
I have one that is going into Cornell for a treadmill exam while being scoped. It is being recommended that "Alex" have a tie forward surgery...

While he is a show horse and not a race horse, I would like to hear from some TB and STbred people about their experiences on improved performances after the surgery?

Laurierace
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:42 PM
My filly who displaced badly won the maiden special weight first time out after the llewelyn procedure. She won an allowance second time out after the tie forward. Within five months she was running last by many at the bottom. Moral of the story is the surgery works but doesn't last long. I think she would have been fine long term as a hunter however.

judybigredpony
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:10 AM
Tie Back....then a Tie Forward ....3rd surgery to undo the last....dismal failure and another with a Tie forward failed as well....and yes I know the diffrences and Tie Forward was not a LLweylan.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
Thanks, Laurie.

I guess I thought the surgical procedure was permanent?
Doesn't the surgery entail moving the larynx forward?

What did your vets determine the reason for the big improve in your filly's performance and then the races that were less so?

Laurierace
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:41 AM
I don't know enough about the procedure to comment on why they fail but know that they often have to be repeated. The time frame seems to be less than a year before performance starts slipping again. Like I said though, the performance even after it failed was probably good enough to be a successful show horse.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:47 AM
I will ask those questions about a reoccurance when we go back to Cornell next month.

I guess if it failed with Alex I would likely just retire him.