PDA

View Full Version : Confo critique?

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:32 PM
Hello!

I was hoping you all could answer a question for me about a horse I'm going to look at.

http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u285/bentleybabe92/Horse/

Are her withers too long? I'm not sure if having long withers would even potentially cause a problem, but I thought I'd ask the wonderful people on chronicle forums!

She is a 4 year old OTTB

TIA!

baxtersmom
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:45 PM
*wolf whistles*

As far as I know, long withers are a good thing except when it comes to saddle fitting. Cute cute mare.

KC058
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:03 PM
I think she has a fine build.. Young??

Looks athletic. I don't see any major problems.

If she isn't young, I personally prefer a TB with a little more bone for eventing..

I like her look, and would likely give her a try myself at the right price. I would probably keep looking if the price is high.

Good Luck!

Xanthoria
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:17 PM
Pretty mare! I like her build in general. From the front view she does appear to have offset knees (bench knees) and toes out on the right fore and right hind. Probably not a big deal for lower level stuff - might cause splints but they're not a huge deal.

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:19 PM
Thank you!
She is 4 years old, and I don't plan on upper level stuff for her, maybe Novice? But I guess that's up to her, right? ;)

What are bench knees?

Thanks again!

Xanthoria
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
Bench knees are when a horse has cannon bones set too far to the outside of the knee. In other words, the cannon bone is not centered vertically below the knee.

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:56 PM
Oh, okay! Thank you!
Would she still be okay for jumper classes and BN eventing?

KC058
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:05 PM
babyracehorse- Are you planning on getting a prepurchase exam if you like her?

I would suggest using someone reputable. Vets from local universities are usually good bets. I wouldn't spare any cost in a prepurchase. Do a few xrays.. Anything you find will give you reason to negotiate price.. It is always best to go into a purchase with as much information as possible. Horses live a lloonnnggg time and it is always in our best interest to pick horses well suited for the jobs we want them do to.. Let a vet tell you what this mare will/ won't be capable of. We can give you opinions, but that's not the same as an in person evaluation.

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:08 PM
babyracehorse- Are you planning on getting a prepurchase exam if you like her?

I would suggest using someone reputable. Vets from local universities are usually good bets. I wouldn't spare any cost in a prepurchase. Do a few xrays.. Anything you find will give you reason to negotiate price.. It is always best to go into a purchase with as much information as possible. Horses live a lloonnnggg time and it is always in our best interest to pick horses well suited for the jobs we want them do to.. Let a vet tell you what this mare will/ won't be capable of. We can give you opinions, but that's not the same as an in person evaluation.

I think we are! I want her feet and legs x-rayed, and perhaps a lameness exam.

She is for adoption at a OTTB adoption place, so her price is the adoption fee.

Thank you!

VicariousRider
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
Very cute! If that's you sitting on her then I'd say you make a nice pair and it looks like she makes you very happy! :)

I see what you mean about her withers but I think that what you might actually be reacting to is the fact that her back looks a tad long and she's still very "tucked up" (probably due to age and fitness). This makes a back look longer, usually. With a little grass belly she will probably look more proportional. I would say that, for your self-described purposes, she looks very suitable.

I second a pr-purchase exam. Not just for this horse but foe almost all horses. It will give you a base line from which to evaluate changes in the future (should there be any).

Go for it and best of luck to you!

KC058
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:03 PM
Always do a lameness exam!!

Let us know how it turns out!

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:05 PM
Always do a lameness exam!!

Let us know how it turns out!

Will do!
Going to see her Saturday.
Thank you! :)

Xanthoria
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:20 PM
Oh, okay! Thank you!
Would she still be okay for jumper classes and BN eventing?

I'm sure she'd be fine - it's only one pic I see it in, so who knows if she's really offset? I agree with the suggestion to get a PPE with lots of xrays - ask the vet about her legs.

Good luck!

visorvet
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:51 PM
There is absolutely nothing about this filly's conformation that will limit you at novice levels. She is very nice and I considered her for myself, but I gather there has been some question about soreness, which I'm sure you already know about. Also she is a bit small for me. If she is sound, please give her a good home!

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:38 PM
There is absolutely nothing about this filly's conformation that will limit you at novice levels. She is very nice and I considered her for myself, but I gather there has been some question about soreness, which I'm sure you already know about. Also she is a bit small for me. If she is sound, please give her a good home!

If you are talking about the sore hives and bad rain rot she had, she is over it and has put on much needed weight!
Have you gone to see her?

Koniucha
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:11 PM
What is her breeding? She is very cute and reminds me of my mare.

BabyRacehorse
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:27 PM
What is her breeding? She is very cute and reminds me of my mare.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P741391432202741