PDA

View Full Version : XC colors... help!!

GingerJumper
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:03 PM
As many of you know, my hunter prospect turned out to be an event horse in the making. Still mad over that one...

Anyways, I was told by a dear eventer friend that I was going to be laughed off the XC course without proper eventing colors. (my XC schooling attire garned a lot of laughs... seemingly white and uber conservative is a no-bueno).

So, COTH'ers, I am coming to you for help. Am I seriously going to look like an idiot without XC colors? Or is it perfectly fine to keep my very conservative attire as-is?

If "you're-an-idiot-if-you-don't-have-colors" proves to be the consensus, then who knows of some good eventing colors that aren't wild and aren't taken?? :lol:

IFG
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:09 PM
Dress in what you like. Black and white can look uber cool. Just get a black vest, white shit, and a cool black and white helmet cover.

whicker
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:24 PM
Your cross-country vest can count as a large block of color. My off the rack one is navy- cause that's all they had, and I needed it for a Wofford clinic.
Go with whatever colors you feel comfortable. Lots of people are conservative. The Brits tend to be in all white and their team hat covers have the colors.

Woff used dark forest green shirts and white jockey breeches because he was usually trying to keep weight down as much as possible. The saddle weighed under 10 lbs...

You can always change your colors whenever you feel like it. They aren't registered.

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:34 PM
I think black and white looks fabulous! To me, an off the rack black vest, your white polo, and a white saddle pad totally counts as x-c colors. Clean and classy looking.

Desert Topaz
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:07 PM
I have a friend that has brown and black as her XC colors. I don't think it can get much more boring than that :D The fun of XC colors is you really can use whatever you like, whether that be black and white or turquoise and purple.

wildlifer
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
We really don't care what you wear. Really. Truly. Do. Not. Care.

Noctis
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:43 PM
We really don't care what you wear. Really. Truly. Do. Not. Care.

Just please, wear SOMETHING! We prefer no Lady Godiva's! :winkgrin::lol:

whicker
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
But!!
You don't have to have a hairnet for cross-country! So, if Godiva locks flow, just make sure the fence judges can see your number!:winkgrin:

Auto Be A Storm
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:06 PM
you don't need colors!!! I love the black and white look!!! Keep it simple for now, if you like eventing then think about colors down the road!!! I started out in black and white, but fell in love with royal blue and black.......when my blood bay's fall and spring coats comes in with the blue and black on him.....he looks amazing!!!

ezmissg
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
Dress in what you like. Black and white can look uber cool. Just get a black vest, white shit, and a cool black and white helmet cover.

:lol:
I just gotta ask -- is there a typo in here somewhere?
:winkgrin:

VicariousRider
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:52 PM
As a former H/J rider my colors are quite conservative. My show colors were hunter green and white and there is no way I'm buying all new crap so that's the end of it.

And if anyone gives you crap for riding in black and white, show them this picture (http://www.google.com/imgres?q=sinead+halpin+water&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=8K&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1280&bih=564&tbm=isch&tbnid=j9b64KxDcLOoxM:&imgrefurl=http://mountainhorseusa.wordpress.com/category/boots/&docid=93KJE-gPwX9WEM&w=1000&h=1428&ei=B74sTrmfMo70swOxx8HECg&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=486&page=1&tbnh=133&tbnw=97&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0&tx=32&ty=73) and tell them somehow that looks plenty cool to you.....

wildlifer
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:02 PM

ROFL -- ok, ok, you have a point there! :lol::lol::eek:

GingerJumper
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:16 PM

Hahaha! This made my day...

Noctis
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:54 PM
Not to mention a probable severe instance of the Inverness Problem from going Godiva (the Lady, not the chocolate. Partake freely of the chocolate...or the chocolate liquor....)

besum1
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:55 PM
I'm sure all color combinations are being used by someone out there!!! It's kind of hard to find crayola colors in actual horse products- I don't think you're going to find a 'mountain meadow' or 'macaroni and cheese' colored helmet cover,saddle pad, or bucket ;)

Though there are the color combos that tend to be more popular, but in all honestly wear what you like! I think it's how you combine the colors that distinguishes you from the others with your colors :)

wear what colors/lack of colors makes you happy!

besum1
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:58 PM

and isn't someone all ready going Lady Godiva on us and riding "In the Nude" or "Naked"??? (horse's name???)

Far_North_Equestrian
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:45 PM
Nope, don't NEED colours. In fact, some riders feel that XC has gone WAY too tacky recently.

Mukluk
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:22 AM

I suppose if one is wearing white pants, the white shit would not be so noticeable.... Pray tell what does one have to injest to produce the aforementioned?............:D

poltroon
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:37 AM

For a year or two, the rules did not explicitly state you had to wear a shirt, and so some people didn't wear anything (except a sports bra) under their vests.

The rules have since changed. :lol:

poltroon
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:39 AM
And yeah, wear what you like. If you're clean and sharp, you'll look good no matter what your colors.

mg
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:39 AM
Anyways, I was told by a dear eventer friend that I was going to be laughed off the XC course without proper eventing colors. (my XC schooling attire garned a lot of laughs... seemingly white and uber conservative is a no-bueno).

Perhaps your friend is one of those who show up in a seizure-inducing ensemble of neon pink and lime green? I can't imagine who else would say such a thing. I run XC in black and white. Sometimes I'll have a white pad with a navy border, but that's about it. Seems strange people laughed at you for your schooling turn-out...I wasn't aware people dressed in their show attire for XC schooling...

Eventers, as a general population, are pretty chill and unconcerned about what others are wearing. This isn't the H/J ring ;)

But!!
You don't have to have a hairnet for cross-country!

Psh, speak for yourself! :-P

scubed
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:26 AM
Saw a teenager wearing essentially tie-dye this weekend, although it was really more of a flowery patter in pale pink, purple, teal. It wasn't bad as the colors were pale (including helmet color, breeches and saddle pad), but the neon tape in 4 different colors on the boots was a bit much.

That aside, I do navy and burgundy (with an occassional small touch of purple) because when I restarted eventing as an adult, I did not own a horse of my own, got a navy vest on very good sale and figured the navy went with everything (horse colorwise). Navy and burgundy are easy to find without custom ordering (really keeps prices down as I can find stuff on sale, etc).

Fractious Fox
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:45 AM
AppyGoLucky,

Here is what I do to avoid a color explosion but to feel more "personalized" in my attire...

I really like Red, White, and Navy.. call me patriotic! White is my primary color. I ride in a navy or white shirt, have a navy vest, and my saddle pad has the slightest red and navy trim - it all looks pretty good on my shiny-penny-bay. Where I really go wild is in my crop! I think this is a super fun (and controlled) way to milk the color thing without looking like a paint store just vomited all over you.

I ordered my crop from Fowler's.. you can customize everything and it's about $40. I needed a new crop, and I also wanted something that wouldn't be "borrowed" inconspicuously. My crop is navy and white down the shaft, with navy feathers, and a bright patent red bat at the end. You. can't. miss. it. It looks super cool to me though, and it is just enough of a color splash to satisfy me :)

LookmaNohands
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:19 AM
Saw a teenager wearing essentially tie-dye this weekend, although it was really more of a flowery patter in pale pink, purple, teal. It wasn't bad as the colors were pale (including helmet color, breeches and saddle pad), but the neon tape in 4 different colors on the boots was a bit much.

That aside, I do navy and burgundy (with an occassional small touch of purple) because when I restarted eventing as an adult, I did not own a horse of my own, got a navy vest on very good sale and figured the navy went with everything (horse colorwise). Navy and burgundy are easy to find without custom ordering (really keeps prices down as I can find stuff on sale, etc).

Oh I saw her! I thought she was kind of cute. I hope she did well. It bugs me when people put a lot of time and effort into how they LOOK and not so much into how they RIDE!

Given the ideas on another thread on crazy outfits, I thought I might try this sometime: A straw hat that fits over my helmet, a flowery hawaiian shirt to fit over my vest, and a really cool pair of sunglasses!

What do you think?

I would need a MUCH cooler horse than I have right now though!
:D:lol::D:lol:

LookmaNohands
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:31 AM
Oh, and I will never forget years ago when the CDCTA got permission to wave dress rules for their event on Halloween weekend! It was sooo much fun! You could wear a costume in dressage!!

I decided to have fun with it and borrowed my vet's world championship endurance stuff complete with the helmet cover with "USA" on it and the jacket too. I put wide plastic endurance stirrups on my dressage saddle and hooked an easy boot and sponge on a string to my saddle. (I practiced with these first) I wore riding sneakers and half chaps, and drew a big number "25" on my horse's butt with a make-up stick. I took most of it off for the jumping phase.

Lots of people dressed up. One person wore her band uniform with a big plume sticking out of her helmet. Someone with a black horse painted it's skeleton on it in white.

The kids embraced it of course. Some people thought it was dumb but I thought it was a nice change!:lol:

OP, wear what you want as long as it it safe, smart and legal!

GingerJumper
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:50 AM
You all are empowering me to stick with my conservative-ism! :lol:
I normally do just navy and white with a little light blue (the piping on my saddle pad). I figured it looks good on everything, and I'd rather have people looking at how I'm riding than how I'm attired.

mg- where I live, most people use their XC colors even for schooling. I actually went a little bold that day and wore my red breeches, but since they're Italian and all that jazz everyone still mocked my hunter princess-ness... Nothing like a good ol' stereotype to set the tone for the schooling. :rolleyes:

So, I shall wear my navy and white and be proud of it! Thank COTHers :)

ETA: LMNH, you should definitely do the Hawaiian get up! You can borrow my retiree, he's pretty cool :lol:

scubed
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Hilda Donahue rides in navy and white (is actually sort of famous for her navy/white obsession). See some pictures here:
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=hilda+donahue+xc#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&source=hp&q=hilda+donahue+xc+pictures&pbx=1&oq=hilda+donahue+xc+pictures&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2749l7269l0l8772l9l7l0l0l0l0l200l990l2.4.1l 7&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cae8a5964b14564c&biw=1280&bih=933

GingerJumper
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:14 AM
Hilda Donahue rides in navy and white (is actually sort of famous for her navy/white obsession). See some pictures here:
http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=hilda+donahue+xc#sclient=psy&hl=en&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS433US433&source=hp&q=hilda+donahue+xc+pictures&pbx=1&oq=hilda+donahue+xc+pictures&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=2749l7269l0l8772l9l7l0l0l0l0l200l990l2.4.1l 7&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=cae8a5964b14564c&biw=1280&bih=933

I love the pearl necklace on XC! Haha, she looks like my sort of person

tres grey
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:39 PM
I was a navy and white girl, too. ...Well, my horse is grey so I consider that my 'white'. :) I wore a navy shirt, saddlepad, and crop. All my tack, boots, and helmet are black. (See profile picture, but I've added a breastplate and back boots.)

Whenever I get back into eventing though, I'm dying to add a pop of goldenrod to the navy.

GingerJumper
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:41 PM
I was a navy and white girl, too. ...Well, my horse is grey so I consider that my 'white'. :) I wore a navy shirt, saddlepad, and crop. All my tack, boots, and helmet are black. (See profile picture, but I've added a breastplate and back boots.)

Whenever I get back into eventing though, I'm dying to add a pop of goldenrod to the navy.

Ooh that'd look lovely on a grey!

seeuatx
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:01 PM
Well... there's a few ways to go about the whole "color" thing.

You can pick your colors, and everything you own MUST be in those colors. I remember one girl back when I was in pony club with pink and green.... everything she wore was in those colors, and even alternated splint boots. It was actually a bit garish in my opinion.

Then you could pick somewhat normal colors, keep most of your equipment in that theme and have something like a helmet cover big your bit of splash.

Or you can have your vest in a generic color and add some splash with a polo. I like this option. I used Navy and coordinated with either grey or white. I had a navy vest, and navy saddle pad, and wore a grey or white polo (which ever was clean ;) ). I wore a Navy/Grey striped helmet cover once but didn't like it. And I wore either navy or tan breeches depending on a if it was a one day or not.

With the new pony I was thinking I might want a change. I probably could use a new vest, so I might as well start there. I was thinking Black vest, and either Aqua or Teal polo, and either black or tan breeches (again whichever is clean or if it's a 1 day). That's about as exciting as I get most days, lol.

ltmac
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:33 PM
I'm a fan of the clean and sharp look! It doesn't have to be black/white, but keep it classy.

Appsolute
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:04 PM
You do not have to ride in "colors". When I wasn't riding in my trainer's colors I ran XC in:

Black velvet helmet
Navy vest
White shirt
Beige breeches
White saddle pad
Brown leather boots and gum rubber bells on the horse

You won't get "laughed at" for not having bright or matchy matchy colors! the above looked very classy on my dappled dark bay (with no white but a small star!)

Noctis
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'll admit my colors, purple and blue, but I also have the only part being those colors is my helmet cover (royal with light purple stars around the bottom), my royal vest (only color they had), and as I ride for JustWorld, white saddlepad with royal and and purple trim/piping and JustWorld logo. Unfortunately Pony has BRIGHT purple boots.....but only because they were the SMALLEST ones I could find in non-hot pink. Premier boots will be coming for Christmas....

wishnwell
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:44 AM

:lol:Part of that combo may be a bit difficult to find, lol.

GingerJumper
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:52 AM
Ahhhh I feel so much better about my classic, conservativeness now. :)