PDA

View Full Version : Another tractor question...

katyb
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:35 PM
Thoughts on these -

New Holland?
Kubota? Would you buy one that is mid-90s with 1700 hours?
Bobcat? We really like this one, but there don't seem to be many out there.

sk_pacer
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:48 PM
Skidsteer or tractor? What kind of work would it be doing?

katyb
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:55 PM
Tractor - mostly mowing, some bucket work.

Equibrit
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Not enough info to make a decision.

Tom King
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:57 PM
I've never bought a tractor that new.

Used Skidsteer loaders usually get beat down before they are no longer used. They are much more expensive and complicated to work on than a tractor. I'd almost never consider buying anything but a new one.

katyb
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:19 PM
Sorry - I was running out the door to go see the New Holland.

We'll be bush-hogging 30 mostly flat acres, some finish mowing on our 7 acres. I'll use the bucket to clean out the run-in and move poop, and I'll need to be able to move a 4x4 bale of hay. My husband will use the bucket for a ton of projects - filling in the ruts around the pond and moving dirt around, mostly.

It's hard to find anything definitely wonderful or awful about one brand versus another. The Bobcat is really comfortable for my husband, who is 6'6", 275 lbs. That's just a brand of tractor you don't see much around here (TN). It seems to be heavy duty. We're also considering a new L series Kubota - the 3200 or 3800.

Here's the Bobcat we looked at:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/2490443108.html

sk_pacer
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
One bad thing about each: Bobcat is proprietary, you can ONLY use Bobcat attachements; Kubota sometimes comes, to borrow a techie term dead out of the box (the newest disaster in this area happened to a friend of mine - new test tractor, got 2 blocks and the windshield blew out. Added to lost wheels, no parts, etc); NH service sucks in some areas. NH and Kubota are not proprietary however, and you can run other makers' mowers, cultivators, post hole augers, etc. Your hubby will not be happy with a Kubota at his height. Don't forget to look at Case and JD as well.

Tom King
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:06 PM
I looked at the link. I didn't even know Bobcat sold tractors now, so it would be worth looking at that one.

Parts availablilty and nearby service is most important. More so than brand name.

My newest tractor is a 70 hp 1984 John Deere. I can get any part not too far away next day at the latest.

I would want a larger tractor with a regular transmission for that size place. With a loader, a must have for me is a power reverser or shuttle shift or whatever the different manufacturers call it. It's a little lever to the left of the steering wheel that you flip back and forth with your little finger to go back and forth from forward to reverse so you don't have to shift gears.

Tamara in TN
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:18 PM
I think you will kill yourselves trying to work a place that size with a tractor the size of the one in the photo.
It's just too small.

Tamara

Sorry - I was running out the door to go see the New Holland.

We'll be bush-hogging 30 mostly flat acres, some finish mowing on our 7 acres. I'll use the bucket to clean out the run-in and move poop, and I'll need to be able to move a 4x4 bale of hay. My husband will use the bucket for a ton of projects - filling in the ruts around the pond and moving dirt around, mostly.

It's hard to find anything definitely wonderful or awful about one brand versus another. The Bobcat is really comfortable for my husband, who is 6'6", 275 lbs. That's just a brand of tractor you don't see much around here (TN). It seems to be heavy duty. We're also considering a new L series Kubota - the 3200 or 3800.

Here's the Bobcat we looked at:

http://knoxville.craigslist.org/grd/2490443108.html

LMH
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:36 PM
Look into Mahindras. Nice tractors for the price.

hosspuller
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:53 PM
bigger ... think ag utility size. I have 20 acres to bushog .

katyb
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:10 PM
We are only leasing the 30 acres, and it's only a month to month, so we don't want to go too deeply into debt, when he might cancel on us at any time. If it were long term or MINE, I'd certainly go bigger. We have bush-hogged the 30 with borrowed tractors about that size (one an old Chinese Yanmar) and both handled it just fine. It takes a long time w/ a 4-5' bushhog.

DH didn't fit on the New Holland very well, and the bucket was slow to operate.

Thanks for all of the information. It's hard choosing.

I know I posted a tractor question a few months ago, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

goodhors
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:49 PM
We did the tractor hunt in spring, wanted one with a loader. They ALL sound wonderful, have great features. Husband was doing the shopping, asked LOTS of folks about their models, JD, NH, Mahinda, Kabota, and so on.

He said that ALL the Kabota folks liked theirs a lot, would only sell to get the next size up. The other brands? Folks would answer "Why do you want to know? You want to buy it?"

We were looking smaller sizes, again, mostly to just have a loader. In his asking, we found that the smaller JDs can be tippy, "but REALLY easy to pull back upright" according to one guy. That was used to mow the ditch along the road. Also quite tippy with the bucket up, from a friend who sold his for that reason! Another lady hates her NH, purchased new. Says it has only enough power to do one thing at a time. If bucket is full, you have awful steering, have to fight the wheel to turn at all. Won't turn and lift loader at the same time. Guess the pump is undersized, which makes her VERY unhappy with the tractor. Other models have other issues.

We lucked into a smaller 2600 Kabota, 12 years old, with 328 hours on it. Brother of a customer's husband had it. Convoluted finding ALWAYS seems to be the best finds. Brother had it totally serviced after purchase last fall for demolishing a house. Actually used it 3 DAYS, then parked it at a neighbors because he moved away. Brother showed it to us, COVERED in chicken feathers and poop. Husband put socks over his pant legs for the first ride, mice EVERYWHERE!! Also came with a bush hog, finish mower and blade.

I had a bit of a learning curve, so MUCH advanced over the old Ford 8N. I have put over 40 hours on it since, like it pretty well. Has the ROPS bar and seatbelt, PTO, 4wd, and LOADER!! LOVE the loader. However when it says 800 pounds, it MEANS only 800 pound capacity. I am getting pretty good with the bucket, loading bedding, cleaning paddocks, moving dirt, pulling old T-posts. AND the whole tractor w/loader fits in the stock trailer to go places!! We moved dirt to put in stalls at the Fairgrounds on Saturday. Loader saved us a LOT of work with shovels and wheelbarrows.

I have big feet, while tractor seems to have smaller foot plate area (at least after the huge foot plates of our old Ford), so snowmobile winter boots might be crowded when it gets cold. Pretty much the only thing to whine about so far. Have your husband sit on a Kabota to see how size works for him. A different or newer model may have better size area for feet now. My husband does not like the protective shield over the PTO, small working area and you have to reach in far. Now that I am used to the shield, I don't seem to have a problem getting the shaft onto the PTO. Just a further reach than the old Ford had.

Again, with all his asking numerous people with places and jobs to do like ours, the Kabota folks love their machines, were not willing to sell. All the other brand tractors of people he talked to were "for sale" right now. Their NEXT tractor was going to BE a Kabota.

I mow about 11 acres regularly, and it does take some time with the 5ft bush hog. However a larger tractor would not fit into the barn as well, be able to be parked where I keep the Kabota. Heavier on the land, needs bigger spaces to turn. I REALLY don't need more horsepower, this smaller tractor does a fine job pulling loaded hay wagons into the barn, running the mowers, spreader, moving dirt, pulling a stuck truck out. Tank of diesel lasts a VERY long time!

Kabota mechanic brother of a customer, said to buy from folks getting divorced. Sudden NEED to sell prevents machine being ignored in servicing. He sees a lot a machines that are totally ignored, not maintained, for sale. Costs even more to get machine back into good shape for actual using. As I said, we were talking to the right folks in finding our tractor at a fairly reasonable price, in good working condition. I even got a new Kabota hat out of the deal! Tractor has been named after daughter, whom it will be replacing for shoveling up bedding. Darn kids who grow up and want to move!! So I expect Katy Kabota and I will have a long working relationship AND it won't argue whose turn it is to get bedding!

Equibrit
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:02 AM
I love my Kubota L3240 (0% 5 years too) It has the coolest 3 point hitch setup.

cyndi
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:12 AM
I've had my Kubota B2320 for a little over a year now and have no complaints. I don't know how we got along without it before! I have a great dealer - I was using the FEL to clear a section of our property that was a mass of trees and vines - totally gone wild and not touched in years. I got myself hung up in vines and managed to rip the front guard off of it. I called my dealer and he sent me a new one and called it 'warranty work.' I named mine too. ;) Since I went to UT and the beast is orange, it is named Bevo. :)

This is my first tractor. I am so glad i did not buy the smaller Kubota tractor I was looking at first. You'll never go wrong if you have a bit more tractor than you really need!

katyb
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:49 AM
We did the tractor hunt in spring, wanted one with a loader. They ALL sound wonderful, have great features. Husband was doing the shopping, asked LOTS of folks about their models, JD, NH, Mahinda, Kabota, and so on.

He said that ALL the Kabota folks liked theirs a lot, would only sell to get the next size up. The other brands? Folks would answer "Why do you want to know? You want to buy it?"

We were looking smaller sizes, again, mostly to just have a loader. In his asking, we found that the smaller JDs can be tippy, "but REALLY easy to pull back upright" according to one guy. That was used to mow the ditch along the road. Also quite tippy with the bucket up, from a friend who sold his for that reason! Another lady hates her NH, purchased new. Says it has only enough power to do one thing at a time. If bucket is full, you have awful steering, have to fight the wheel to turn at all. Won't turn and lift loader at the same time. Guess the pump is undersized, which makes her VERY unhappy with the tractor. Other models have other issues.

We lucked into a smaller 2600 Kabota, 12 years old, with 328 hours on it. Brother of a customer's husband had it. Convoluted finding ALWAYS seems to be the best finds. Brother had it totally serviced after purchase last fall for demolishing a house. Actually used it 3 DAYS, then parked it at a neighbors because he moved away. Brother showed it to us, COVERED in chicken feathers and poop. Husband put socks over his pant legs for the first ride, mice EVERYWHERE!! Also came with a bush hog, finish mower and blade.

I had a bit of a learning curve, so MUCH advanced over the old Ford 8N. I have put over 40 hours on it since, like it pretty well. Has the ROPS bar and seatbelt, PTO, 4wd, and LOADER!! LOVE the loader. However when it says 800 pounds, it MEANS only 800 pound capacity. I am getting pretty good with the bucket, loading bedding, cleaning paddocks, moving dirt, pulling old T-posts. AND the whole tractor w/loader fits in the stock trailer to go places!! We moved dirt to put in stalls at the Fairgrounds on Saturday. Loader saved us a LOT of work with shovels and wheelbarrows.

I have big feet, while tractor seems to have smaller foot plate area (at least after the huge foot plates of our old Ford), so snowmobile winter boots might be crowded when it gets cold. Pretty much the only thing to whine about so far. Have your husband sit on a Kabota to see how size works for him. A different or newer model may have better size area for feet now. My husband does not like the protective shield over the PTO, small working area and you have to reach in far. Now that I am used to the shield, I don't seem to have a problem getting the shaft onto the PTO. Just a further reach than the old Ford had.

Again, with all his asking numerous people with places and jobs to do like ours, the Kabota folks love their machines, were not willing to sell. All the other brand tractors of people he talked to were "for sale" right now. Their NEXT tractor was going to BE a Kabota.

I mow about 11 acres regularly, and it does take some time with the 5ft bush hog. However a larger tractor would not fit into the barn as well, be able to be parked where I keep the Kabota. Heavier on the land, needs bigger spaces to turn. I REALLY don't need more horsepower, this smaller tractor does a fine job pulling loaded hay wagons into the barn, running the mowers, spreader, moving dirt, pulling a stuck truck out. Tank of diesel lasts a VERY long time!

Kabota mechanic brother of a customer, said to buy from folks getting divorced. Sudden NEED to sell prevents machine being ignored in servicing. He sees a lot a machines that are totally ignored, not maintained, for sale. Costs even more to get machine back into good shape for actual using. As I said, we were talking to the right folks in finding our tractor at a fairly reasonable price, in good working condition. I even got a new Kabota hat out of the deal! Tractor has been named after daughter, whom it will be replacing for shoveling up bedding. Darn kids who grow up and want to move!! So I expect Katy Kabota and I will have a long working relationship AND it won't argue whose turn it is to get bedding!

Thanks - Hey, your tractor is named after me! That is all really good information. I'm glad to hear one that size is working well for you. I know a bigger tractor would handle the leased property better, but it is such an uncertain thing that we just can't buy based on that. I'll have my husband be sure his feet aren't too big for the pedals. Our 12-year-old eventual tractor operator is already a size 13 (same as his dad), so he will be needing some room! The size of the seat/platform is a big deal for us, as bigger people.

katyb
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:51 AM
I love my Kubota L3240 (0% 5 years too) It has the coolest 3 point hitch setup.

What do you use it for? We looked at the L3800 and 3200. They couldn't get us a quick attach bucket, due to backorders, which is what started us off looking for a used tractor.

Equibrit
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
I use it (Kenny) for absolutely everything. (Lifting, spraying, grading, mowing, bushhogging, snowplowing (last winter)!) It's from the Grand L Series here; http://www.kubota.com/product/L40/L40.aspx What sold it to me was the ease of use, especially the telescopic hitch. I am constantly working on slopes and the wheels can be widened enough to make it very stable too.
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6231599&

FitToBeTied
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:01 PM
I thought most Manufacturers, with the exception of JD, went to a universal connection system that allows any FEL attachment from any peripheral equipment manufacturer to work

I know on my NH I can attach anything to my FEL that will also go on a bobcat.

RacetrackReject
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:08 PM
I have an L4400 (??) Kubota Utility tractor with a galvanized 6' brush hog that I use to keep up 15 acres around my house with and it does a great job. Being a utility tractor, it is basically bare bones, just what you need, and by default pretty cheap. I've had it for over 5 years, maybe close to 10. I love it! I keep it under cover and it still looks brand new. I wonder if that might be a decent size for what you need.

sk_pacer
Jul. 25, 2011, 03:48 PM
I thought most Manufacturers, with the exception of JD, went to a universal connection system that allows any FEL attachment from any peripheral equipment manufacturer to work

I know on my NH I can attach anything to my FEL that will also go on a bobcat.

Nope, JD isn't proprietary, hasn't been for decades......they were one of the first to switch to universal connectors. My JD runs everything from the ancient baler that I baled the forks on (don't ask) to a Farm King gyro mower to an Buhler snowblower and on to a semi-ancient cultivator to the grain vac. Case went longer proprietary than did JD. Massy, International and Ford (before they joined with NH) and several more obscure makes like Versatile, Belarus, Steiger - I have an 830 Case that NOTHING fits except Case eqiupment of the same age. Bobcat was completly proprietary not that terribly long ago.

RacetrackReject
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:05 PM
You bring back memories SK. I had a Belarus years ago and I loved it.

sk_pacer
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:24 PM
You bring back memories SK. I had a Belarus years ago and I loved it.

Lots of the around here ranging from almost antique to brand new . I tried to buy one but the guy in charge of the dealership thought I was just tire kicking so I went and bought a JD. Dealership is gone now, and the place that housed them is building grain augers but parts are accessible: western distributor is in the city.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:21 PM
I have a 1996 3930 Ford w/ 4wd 50 hp and a bucket. I got it new and it has an easy life so I hope it out lives me. Only has 840 hours on it.

I love it. I primarily use it to pull my large manure wagon w/ hydraulics down to dump.

I also have a 1320 Ford w/4wd 20 hp and a 4' mower deck that I use to mow and drag the ring. It does a great job.

I am going to get a brush hog at some point for the big tractor. I don't have a ton to mow but I think it is time.

I highly recommend Ford. I have not had any issues to speak of.

MistyBlue
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:46 PM
I like the Fords and NHs. My *only* issue with NH is that the only dealership anywhere near me is loaded with arseholes in the service department.
Hence the main reason why my new tractor is *not* a NH, but a JD. I love, love, love my NH tractor and am supposed to be selling it (because a 4.5 acre property does not need 2 tractors, LOL) but haven't really done much to market it right now. Plus, it's a tough sell in this economy. If it were older and beat up and worth little, I could sell it easy. But it's got 214 hours on it and looks and runs like a showroom model. I won't give it away. (plus I love it)

Love the new JD too, was outside today doing everything with it.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:51 AM
I should mention that the one beef I have with Ford (at least mine from the mid 1990's) is the paint!

It has peeled off the hood on the large tractor and around the dash on the smaller one. This was some time ago, so the paint went bad pretty quickly.

I hope on the newer ones they have resolved that issue...