PDA

View Full Version : Can we please have a venting thread about the heat/drought??

IntegritySporthorses
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:24 AM
Here in N TX, 20+ days of 100 degree + temps.

Forecast shows no end in sight.

There is no good hay for reasonable prices to be found.

The cracks in the ground are dangerous for both man and beast.

We spent $$$$$$$$ this spring planting fancy, high dollar bermuda in our 50 acre hay meadow. It barely came up and what did is all dead now.

I know I have it pretty good in all other aspects of life but I just needed to get that off my chest.

Sigh. I think I'll go stick my head in the freezer now. :yes:

grayarabpony
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:46 AM
No cracks in the ground here but HOT HOT HOT and dry. Pasture is going dormant, even the bermuda, and the farmers have only gotten one cutting of bermuda so far. If we don't get rain we'll be paying a fortune for hay.

MizzouMom
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:52 AM
Into our 10th day or so of 98-102 here in the KC area.

DH built me the longed-for planting boxes for my spring birthday. Didn't get planted immediately because of a couple of pet crises that laid me low, now my late plantings are withering in the sun. I water twice a day and it's not enough. Some of the stuff ended up not sprouting - just too hot! The lawn looks like the Sahara.

And I feel guilty watering inefficiently in this age of water being the Next Scary Shortage.

The shrunken earth along the house foundation needs watering too, they say that will save our basement walls, but I'm not sure there's enough water to fix that problem either.

We had to panel insulate and install a little A/C unit for the dogs in their inside corner of the barn - the old one can't hold her water long enough to be kept inside while we're gone, and REALLY can't take the heat.

We bought a gigantic fan for the horse, which doesn't help when the huge bomber flies come, brought out by the dry heat. Two days ago as I was leaning over the fence to pour her feed, one did a fly-by, and the mare leapt into the air, spun around and kicked out, landing in a ninja position, waiting for the thing to bite her. Which would have been pretty funny if it wasn't so scary - glad my head was on THIS side of the fence.

Don't know if it's the Norwegian blood or if I'm what Ayurvedic beliefs call a Pitta type, but I hatehatehate the heat, and have threatened to move north every summer. Sadly, now even the north is too hot.

Bluey
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:29 PM
We are in our breaking records 29th day over 100.

With two snows and three showers, up to 1.07" for the whole year.:cry:

We are breaking all kinds of records for heat, what a year.:no:

No relief in sight and hey are calling for another YEAR of this.:eek:

Blume Farm
Jul. 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
When I moved to NC from central valley CA I thought my summers would be filled with green pastures! Not so this year...I feel like I am living on the surface of the moon. We have had no rain in about 30 days. As I type this I can hear the thunder but it will not produce rain, just freak my dogs out:( When I walk my fields they actually crunch under my feet.

Got up at 5am this morning to haul to a 6:30am lesson to beat the heat. How great is my instructor to do that for us?!

I am feeding hay in July:( Normally I don't start feeding hay until October.

IntegritySporthorses
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:25 PM
No relief in sight and hey are calling for another YEAR of this.:eek:

Are you SERIOUS??????????:eek::mad:

Who are "they"?

I'm fairly certain I can't handle another year of this.....

Bluey
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:39 PM
Are you SERIOUS??????????:eek::mad:

Who are "they"?

I'm fairly certain I can't handle another year of this.....

The NWS long range report was commenting on CBS the other day and many farm news stations followed with the explanation that the high pressure dome causing this year's drought, sending the branch of the jet stream that brings us summer rains North, was caused by the cool La Nina Pacific Ocean pattern, that was starting to change to El Nino when the Japan tsunami happened, that flipped the water around again and reestablished the La Nina again and if nothing else changes again, it will be stable for probably another year.

Of course they don't know, it is a guess.
Lets hope they are wrong and/or some other unexpected event happens and the jet stream gets to come down again for a bit and bring us some rains/snows.

Weather is very important when you have to figure what to do down the line with your farming management.
We have not grown any grass this year, just a few irrigated crops at a terrific cost, fed all livestock every bite with very expensive and now scarce supplements and water supplies.
Everyone around here is selling their livestock, can't hang onto them any longer.

We went thru this from 1998 to 2003, guess we are back at this again.:(

As the Ace Reid cartoon goes this week, "It's kinda' depressin' to drought out of the cow business just as prices get high enough to make a livin' at it!"

This drought will also affect the horse industry directly, supplies will be short and expensive.
Also many of the participants in the horse industry are those that are directly affected by the drought as farmers/ranchers and working in the industries that support them, many that now will lose earnings and so may have to give horses up, at least for now, especially in this already depressed economy.

We really need a better rain dance, yes, we do.

Daydream Believer
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well, we are not in a serious drought...just a mild one so I'm thankful for that...but I really could do without the 118F heat index. It's like trying to work in a sauna. I have trims set up all week too and doing farrier work in this weather is about as bad as it gets. I'd rather work in 20F in a blizzard trimming than this.

I've lost chickens...about 15 since this began. We made it through yesterday without any losses but today was just as bad...I'm heading out to do chores now so I'm hoping they will be OK. Poor chooks...I've done what I can and it's supposed to let up a bit tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

You folks in Texas sound like you have a real mess on your hands. I hope it will break soon for you.

spinandslide
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:32 AM
Im honestly getting tired talking about it..:(

Seems like that is all anyone wants to speak of at the feed stores and horse shows...it truly is a record setting year down here.

Bottom line is-you better get your ducks lined up, because the ride is only going to get bumpier as the year ends regarding hay.

SuperAlter
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:35 AM
Call me fortunate but for the first time since I have owned a horse ( close to 15 years) I had to find and pay for hay this year.

There will be no second cutting, the horses dont know that yet as they are still eating last years, but they will not be happy when all they have all winter is 1st.

We are still feeding hay as well ( and have been).

I know my dad feels bad ( My husband and I are really the only help he had this year) and we put in all the 1st cutting ( close to 3,000 bales) and now he has no hay to get us through winter. Cant blame him that hay had been claimed and I was waiting for 2nd anyway.... such is life.

Things finally cooled here we hit between 110-118 for close to 2 weeks but looks like its back to going up after today.

spinandslide
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:36 AM
Let me add..I bitched at DH for buying the LONG Top Hat gooseneck trailer we bought afew years ago..but I am SO thankful for it now! We can fit 16 roundbales on that baby and make a trip worthwhile.

lady at the feedstore is telling me they are having heck finding truckers to truck hay in from other parts of the country.

wishnwell
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:49 AM
I think about all of you in the South and especially TX. Yes I can complain and worry about where the forecast is headed here, but it can't compare to you. We've had little to no rain in 30+ days. Crops that were planted late due to the wet wet spring are now beginning to die off. Not sure if there will be second cutting here either. I pray the weather pattern changes soon. I wish you and your farms/livestock well, I'll keep praying for the rain.

cowgirljenn
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:59 AM
We've had over 40 days now over 100 degrees. It is supposed to be 104-105+ for the next 10 days.

And I came home from a weekend away visiting a sick friend to have no water. Water company claims the problem isn't on their end. I think I may have a breakdown over this. My fantastic farm sitter hauled 100 gallons of water to us yesterday (she called to let me know about the water problem and then made two trips hauling water). She's probably going to bring me another 50 (what her tanks will hold) today.

The water company said that with the drought, the ground is shifting and moving and pipes are breaking everywhere. We have cracks in the ground that are 6-12 inches in width, several week long and who knows how many feet deep (you can't see the bottom).

With the price of hay (if I can figure out how to get it shipped in) and the cost of getting this water fixed. I will need to mortgage my soul. I feel a meltdown coming on...

tasia
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:05 PM
Sorry you guys are going through this. It's time to do the naked rain dance!!! We were in drought conditions, nothing like in TX. The minute the fertilizer hit the ground the rain chances evaporated. SO was sent out to do the naked rain dance, repeatedly!! We did finally start getting some rain, got one cutting of hay, hoping for 2 more. Large feed store here told me they expect coastal hay to go to 16.00 a square bale. I can't even imagine that. I'm praying for rain for everyone that desperately needs it!!!

BasqueMom
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:29 PM
Broken main in Sanger this weekend--all restaurants had to shut down. We're on another water system but limited watering. Even the trees look wilted. Not
watering pasture but gotta keep some of the trees going. Watering around perimeter of house for the foundation and a slight fire break.

Horses are miserable and then some. Metal barn even with fans too hot--they are preferring the trees in front.

2DogsFarm
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:42 PM
It's time to do the naked rain dance!!!

Please keep the nekkid dance in TX!
We had a bellywhopper of a storm yesterday morning - lightning struck so loud & close I could feel my house shake.
I got drenched going to shut up the chicken coop & barn, but the horses were in their stalls watching the sky show & munching hay.
My pelleted bedding got a soaking - terrific gusts of wind from the East where the stalls open to - but had absorbed a lot by 5P so hopefully it will be okay for another week.
1.89" in about an hour but as dry as we were before, this much rain did not make a lot of difference :no:

Friends with soybeans are praying they can get a crop or they will be out the money they spent on seed & fertilizer, not to mention the work of planting.

Lucky for me I got my year's worth of hay in the barn last week.
<Huge Sigh of Relief>
P-Poor stacking job by the kids who brought the wagon, but I am thankful that worry is over for this year.

A neighbor has 2 loaded haywagons stored in my indoor.
Got them in just in time to avoid the rain this weekend.
Now I hope he can get them out before the ground is too soft for his truck to pull around my acreage.
They would make lousy lawn ornaments.

I am anticipating everything costing more soon.
Not a Good Year :no:

Bluey
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:59 PM
One more story on the TX sized drought:

http://www.agweb.com/blog/Out_to_Pasture_149/parched_pastures_force_good_cows_to_market/

stillhere
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:12 PM
It looks so bad. Sending prayers for some kind of break.
We are still thinking Texas for retirement but this scares me.

Bluey
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:12 PM
It looks so bad. Sending prayers for some kind of break.
We are still thinking Texas for retirement but this scares me.

Well, this is not normal, we are breaking all kinds of records, not some weather you expect most years.

Then, you never know, this may be the new normal, although I doubt it, just one more drought, if a record breaking one, then back to more normal, I expect, eventually.

East and South TX is less arid, if that is not your thing.
Their dry is a week without some rain.;)

crosscreeksh
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:27 PM
We've been incredibly hot (and dry) for the past 6 weeks...over 100 every day for weeks. We had a big "light show" and wild "blow" last night, but about .2 rain. What a joke!! I'm hot, tired of being hot and grumpy from being hot!! We spend our days keeping cool water to the horses and watching the fields dry up!! Our hay crop was about 2/3 normal, but at least we got SOME!!! Now we have to acquire our square hay and not much hope there, either. But we are better off than TX.!! I feel for you guys down south!!

JackandMo
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:29 PM
I feel you all.

We're here in Eastern NC and have had very little rain in a long time. Everything is dry and crunchy, but not near as bad as TX and the midwest.

Yesterday, my husband and I went to Walmart, which is five miles from our house and the barn we board at.

When we went in, it was bright and sunny, 20% chance of rain. When we walked about 20 minutes later, a massive dark cloud was over Walmart. We went into Gamestop next door, and within 5 minutes, it was the most horrific rain with golf ball sized hail pouring down sideways. We literally could not see the parking lot. The lightning was incredible. The thunder so loud. The wind was amazing to say the least. Lightning was cracking and crashing down in the parking lot - poles and cars were hit, and we witnessed it all. While I admit to being scared, I was also relieved. We need the rain SO BAD.

Unfortunately, barely a drop at our house and barn. The ground just got a light dusting of water.

rmh_rider
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:59 PM
Me me me (hand raised).

We pretty much had 2 days of spring and went straight to summer. Not an early gentle summer to ease us in, but a 95 + summer. One day it was 60 and in 2 days it was 95 and there was no turning back.

Gotta do stuff outside, so I have about 50 pairs of hanes her way undies, numerous bras, shorts, many many hanes white tee shirts, socks, omg I have dozens of pairs of those. Also have to have a high supply of clean dry towels for when you have one of those days and you have to shower 5 times. Yes, that is my honest personal world record. Which also I had to have clean dry clothes to go with those showers.

I love air conditioning. Such a wonderful thing. Oh that and a ceiling fan. ahhh.

I am one who is definitely ready for fall. Which I hope will be soon.

Pray for snow!

crosscreeksh
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:02 PM
I hear you rmh_rider!! We had frost in May!! I went from long underwear to a T shirt in 4 days!!! Bad news too...fall is being cancelled due to bad weather...steaming hot summer will be followed IMMEDIATELY by cold rain, snow, ice and wind!!! "Somebody" is pissed off, huh???

SanJacMonument
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:20 PM
Well, I can say the Houston area has gotten a good dose of afternoon thunderstorms this past week. But we are still 25 inches down since October 2010, yearly is about 52 inches so very much in dire straights.

This week has been hot and in the 100s Wed, Thur, Fri. The afternoon storms are sparce but sweet relief.

So many of Houston's grand trees and forest are lost, there are great brown patches of dead 50-100 year old trees in the typically lush forest - a great fire hazard. So many lakes are dry.

We have relatives who are fishermen, and say the crabs have pickled in the salt water marshes for lack of freshwater. I never knew crabs could pickle. It is a first in decades. But they have seen it before and say it is just the cycle of things as it has been wet for so long.

Fishermen and Farmers...you hardly know they exist until you have too much or too little rain!

SkipHiLad4me
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:13 PM
It's so depressing :no: We haven't had it as bad as the folks in TX but in my little bubble of the coast, this is the second year in a row that we've been in a severe drought. There has been rain ALL around us but because of the sea breeze, the storms either never make it to us or they break up once they get over us. We've had a few little sprinkle showers here and there - enough to mist the plants - but honestly it's been since April 30 since we had enough rain to register in the rain gauge. And before then it was really dry during March and early April. There is so much corn around here that either never came up or is tasseling out at under 2ft tall. The soybeans and cotton are stunted or were planted really late. My heart hurts for all of the farmers who are bleeding money from two years of failed crops.

And what drives me crazy?? I have a neighbor who INSISTS on watering his grass 24/7 so that his yard looks like something out of Better Homes and Gardens. Please, yes, lets drain the aquifer so we have nothing to drink one of these days!! :mad:

OldMorgans
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:34 PM
And So. Calif. is having another summer of somewhat less then normal temps.
The drought is going to affect horse owners everywhere. And not for the good.

Zu Zu
Jul. 26, 2011, 07:36 PM
MIDWEST .... HOT & HUMID !!!

EVEN THE BUGS ARE SWEATING ! :eek::lol:

Falconfree
Jul. 26, 2011, 08:16 PM
I wish we could send y'all some of our rain! It has rained every day for a while now, big, scary rain that has completely washed out my raised bed garden and brought about several runs to the vet to refill Indy's Ace. Our medi tortoise is not pleased either, much too wet for his tastes. :P

At least our temps haven't been all that unusual lately here, 90-95 degree heat with 90% humidity.

Good luck to those stuck in the drought/scalding hot areas! :(

tasia
Jul. 27, 2011, 07:21 AM
MIDWEST .... HOT & HUMID !!!

EVEN THE BUGS ARE SWEATING ! :eek::lol:

:lol:

moonriverfarm
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:37 PM
We have had consistent rain, so hay will be plentiful. But this heat is simply UNACCEPTABLE!

GingerJumper
Jul. 27, 2011, 02:03 PM
I can't even BEGIN to describe the venting going on at my barn over this STUPID heat! It's in the hundreds!

justdandy
Jul. 27, 2011, 02:22 PM
Can someone PLEASE tell me who pissed Mother Nature off so I can beat the snot out of them!?!:mad:

The heat's not so bad. It's the freakin' humidity that's getting me!!:eek: I'm drenched with sweat just walking from the house to the barn. The humidity was low yesterday and is again today so I'll be able to ride and clean the barn comfortably. Unfortunately, though, it'll be back tomorrow and Friday.:(

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:19 PM
It's pretty sad, that I am rooting for Tropical Storm Don to head up to Texas and bring you all some rain!

tasia
Jul. 28, 2011, 07:09 AM
It's pretty sad, that I am rooting for Tropical Storm Don to head up to Texas and bring you all some rain!

I've been doing the same thing:lol: It looks like there is a good chance it will go to TX. Hope TX gets it's much needed rain:yes:

Alpha Mare
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:19 AM
Another nasty weekend on the way up here. too hot, too humid. We are getting the periodic thunderstorm that helps but keeps the horses in the barn at night.

I am changing clothes every time I come back in the house...

Scratched the show this weekend.

I am now rethinking plans for the rest of the summer as need to back off the training in the heat, just trying to keep us (horses & me) in some condition for when it is cooler in the fall....

cowgirljenn
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:24 AM
Tropical storm Don is a failure - going in at the TX-Mexico border and heading west. We won't see any rain from him (earlier this week there was a good chance he was heading our way).

It is enough to make me cry. I'm going to have to stop riding as we have cracks in the ground big enough for a horse to put a hoof in. I've got sinkholes in the barn, too, because the ground is so dry and cracked.

This is insane.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 29, 2011, 10:57 PM
Tropical storm Don is a failure - going in at the TX-Mexico border and heading west. We won't see any rain from him (earlier this week there was a good chance he was heading our way).

It is enough to make me cry. I'm going to have to stop riding as we have cracks in the ground big enough for a horse to put a hoof in. I've got sinkholes in the barn, too, because the ground is so dry and cracked.

This is insane.

DAMN! I'm sorry to hear this, I was really praying for you all that it would bring you some much needed rain.

vineyridge
Jul. 29, 2011, 11:47 PM
We're in decent shape right now for moisture and slightly lower temperatures. In fact, it's so danged damp it's hard to find a 'right' time of the day to mow. Been either drizzling or thunderstorming every day this week with good moisture. We flooded this spring. This weather we're having now is good for mold and mushrooms. It's perfect for cotton, but we're going to need some dry weather in a few days.

Sipsi
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:54 AM

It is enough to make me cry.

This is insane.

I DID cry.......We are 65 miles west of Houston and nary a drop. They've been getting rain - hubby said it poured yesterday.

WAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

vacation1
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:20 AM
My great sympathy for everyone dealing with this long heat. We had a taste of it last week here in NJ and it was horrible.
It finally broke with a storm, and we've been getting rain ever since.

Also have to have a high supply of clean dry towels for when you have one of those days and you have to shower 5 times. Yes, that is my honest personal world record.

Oh, I know those days. I have long hair and some hot days it never really dries because I'm in and out of the shower so much.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:01 PM
NOAA shows another depression out there with an 80% chance of becoming a tropical storm, heading north west - crossing my fingers for you all to get some rain!

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Bluey
Jul. 30, 2011, 06:23 PM
A local fellow just got back from visiting family in OK and while there went to some horse sales and breeding farms.
He said very nice, well trained, registered horses were bringing $5 and the fanciest no more than $800.:eek:
Half the horses were not even getting bids on them.:(
Most sellers HAD to sell, they could not keep them any longer in this drought, no pasture, feed way too high, no water, the economy in the tank, some lost jobs and had to move and could not take the horses with them, it is very, very sad.:cry:

I think it is starting to affect also the best trained, winning performance horses, their prices depressed also, too many of them for sale, not enough buyers.

The horse economy was faltering the past few years, this drought has been a hard blow on top of it.

fivehorses
Jul. 30, 2011, 09:07 PM
Hopefully Bluey, those horses will come east, and not south or north.
this economy has gotta change.

IntegritySporthorses
Jul. 30, 2011, 10:25 PM
I have come up with a positive side....

There will be no mosquitos this fall!!!!!!

lolita1
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:08 PM
I hope it gets better for you all.

luvmytbs
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
We have been in the 90's for 14 days straight and it looks like it will stay this way. By next Sunday we will have broken a record.
There are pop-up storms here and there, but they are not distributed equally. Six miles from my house they had 3 to 4 inches in 90 minutes last night, not one drop here.
I am hosing the horses down several times a day, but must say they don't seem to be as miserable as I am, LOL.
My hay guy had a heat stroke and ended up in the hospital with 104 degree body temp. He is o.k. thank God and back out trying to get more hay in.
He should be close to his second cutting, but didn't get the first cutting in until early July because it rained and rained all of May and June.
So I am not sure how that is going to work out.
He actually lowered the price per bale by 50 cents as the quality was not as good as usual.

spinandslide
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:18 PM
I have come up with a positive side....

There will be no mosquitos this fall!!!!!!

Ive got plenty of the little vampires in my hayfield..they are loving the irrigation and tall grass..I donate about a pint of blood to them everytime I go out there..Deep Woods has no effect on them..they are mutant.

JSwan
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:20 PM
Poison ivy is everywhere.

Ask me how I know.

ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

crosscreeksh
Aug. 2, 2011, 07:31 PM
115' in the shade when we went out to feed at 4:30 today. My brain is COOKED!!!! We spend the days/nights keeping water tubs full of cold water and fans running. Grass is gone!!

GAD!!!

pony grandma
Aug. 5, 2011, 09:57 PM
This thread is so serious, because the situation is just that. So I hesitated to add this bit of humor, but here goes...

Gus the dog knows HOW HOT it is!

too hot for even a dog to swim outside!!

http://www.wimp.com/swimoutside/

katyb
Aug. 6, 2011, 08:23 AM
This thread is so serious, because the situation is just that. So I hesitated to add this bit of humor, but here goes...

Gus the dog knows HOW HOT it is!

too hot for even a dog to swim outside!!

http://www.wimp.com/swimoutside/

ROFL! That is one smart dog.

My Sidda was sprayed by a skunk a few days ago, so she isn't even getting inside to the a/c. She is really enjoying her nightly dips in our pond, which is spring fed so it stays relatively cool.

fivehorses
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:35 AM
way too funny video pony grandma!

katyb, my dog was skunked and I looked up treatments, and they really worked. I think you use hydrogen peroxide in one...just be care ful not to get the eyes, but my dog was in bed with me a few hours later, and the smell was mostly gone.
It does linger, esp if they get wet, but the on line concoctions really worked, and were not horribly messy.
sorry for going ot.

I am so sorry for those of you not only experiencing heat, but no rain...ack, I just don't know how you do it.

katyb
Aug. 6, 2011, 11:55 AM
way too funny video pony grandma!

katyb, my dog was skunked and I looked up treatments, and they really worked. I think you use hydrogen peroxide in one...just be care ful not to get the eyes, but my dog was in bed with me a few hours later, and the smell was mostly gone.
It does linger, esp if they get wet, but the on line concoctions really worked, and were not horribly messy.
sorry for going ot.

I am so sorry for those of you not only experiencing heat, but no rain...ack, I just don't know how you do it.

I used that last year - it was hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, and I forget what else. It did work pretty well. Sidda took a direct hit to her face, though, so I'm afraid to use anything at all caustic. I washed her off with Stinky Poo shampoo, which works pretty well, right after it happened, but with the skunk hitting her right in the eyes, it's impossible to really get all of the stinky areas. She jumped in the pond and actually swam around with her face underwater quite a bit when it first happened. I'm sure it was really huring her eyes.

crosscreeksh
Aug. 6, 2011, 07:49 PM
Love it! That's a smart dog!! Our Boerboel "pup" all 170 pounds, goes outside to take care of basic issues, but spends indoor time between laying on the A/C vents or plastered to the box fan and sleeping in the bath tub!! He gave up on the kiddy pool, as the Bulldogs did, because the water gets too hot, too fast!!