PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read the article on EqB (Jeff Seder, Patti Miller) in Bloodhorse?

sonomacounty
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:10 AM
Anyone read the article on EqB (Equine Biometrics) (Jeff Seder, Patti Miller) in Bloodhorse? (Basically, using advanced technology & thinking to select superior racehorses.)

I think they are surely onto something. I love progressive thinkers. Bravo.

http://eqb.com/images/eqb.com/default.aspx?contentname=Home%20Page&news=1

article:

http://eqb.com/images/eqb.com/default1.aspx?contentName=News&news=1&newsId=3874

Xctrygirl
Jul. 25, 2011, 10:28 AM
Mmmm and they just give this "technology" away right? Since it's for the betterment of the breed and all runners???

And it's based on science and impartial analysis right? Ohhh nooo.... it's based on a couple people's opinions of how a horse "should" move.

And they've had horses stay sound past 4yr old consistently???

Uh huh. Ok.

~Emily

Acertainsmile
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:48 PM
Heart scanning has been around for quite some time, and these are not the first folks who have used DNA testing either. We've had a few tested and have the attitude of "we'll see". Interesting, but nothing that new.

Not taking anything away from these folks of course, they've had great sucess.

Tbsrfaster
Sep. 14, 2011, 11:51 PM
Patti & Jeff do a tremendous job! Patti's got a great eye. Common sense is the larger the heart the bigger the breath the longer the stride the faster the horse. They have the largest database of all to compare to because they have done the most scans because they are the best. EQB is an amazing organization & run second to none.

Tbsrfaster
Sep. 14, 2011, 11:53 PM
And yes Emily, they've had horses stay sound past 4 yo consistantly.

LaurieB
Sep. 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
Common sense is the larger the heart the bigger the breath the longer the stride the faster the horse.

Actually, no. On both counts.

Length of stride is determined by the actual structure of the horse, ie the hip and shoulder angles, not the size of its heart or the way it breathes.

And anyone who has been around the track for longer than a day or two will tell you that length of stride does not determine how fast a horse runs.

Real Rush
Sep. 15, 2011, 03:33 PM
Common sense is the larger the heart the bigger the breath the longer the stride the faster the horse.

But I think it has been scientifically proven that a larger heart (at least in people) can pump a larger volume of oxygenated blood to slow down build-up of lactic acid, which helps keep muscles from tiring out faster, which would translate to increased stamina. I think the study was based on Lance Armstrong and several other "super athletes." I don't see how that couldn't correlate to horses as well, theoretically.

summerhorse
Sep. 16, 2011, 10:13 PM
Kind of hard to argue with success!

Flying Fox
Sep. 16, 2011, 11:07 PM
John E. Madden, one of the greatest breeders of all time, wrote as follows: "As to the so-called intricate science of breeding in so blending the blood of the sire and the dam that winners may be produced in numbers, although of absorbing interest to the student and theorist, the practical man need confine himself to the formula only of breeding a good mare to a great horse taking into due consideration the varying qualities of each, and putting his trust in like producing like, or the likeness of some good ancestor. He will have his share of winners, in his good years and bad years, and the experts will tack figures on to the pedigrees of his winners, and tell him how it all happened."