PDA

View Full Version : Yet another saddle fit thread-- Albion ?

KPF
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:01 PM
I'm in the process of saddle shopping (fun fun! NOT) and I need to find something ASAP as I have nothing to ride in until I do. I got an Albion SLK on trial today and while the wide tree seems to fit, it is a "high head" model and the pommel sits fairly far above his withers. He does have withers but not super prominent. Is the "hh" model with this extra space ok or do I need to look for a "low head" model?

I'm really hoping this one will work because it's local to me and is priced well. I'm planning on riding in it in the next few days to make sure I like it and if so, will have the saddle fitter back out for a peek but am just wondering in the meantime about the "hh" thing. TIA!

baxtersmom
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:30 PM
Not an expert, but my understanding is that, if both the HH and LH model fit your horse, it's more a matter of rider comfort - I think the HH can make the seat feel smaller/ deeper relative to an LH in the same size.

Hampton Bay
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't worry about extra wither clearance unless the panels don't fit around the wither. sometimes the panels are attached up into the pommel on a higher pommel, whereas with a lower pommel they might be attached lower, if that makes sense. The panels shouldn't sit too far up the withers of the horse.