PDA

View Full Version : like sliding door hardware, but lighter, for windows?

wsmoak
Jul. 23, 2011, 07:02 PM
The run-in is framed so that I could cut out a rectangle and make a small window, but I want to be able to close it back up in the winter.

I was thinking of either a single piece or maybe two pieces that would look like shutters when open.

So... where can I get hardware for this? Regular sliding stall door hardware would be overkill.

Alagirl
Jul. 23, 2011, 07:09 PM
make it shutters.
Should not set you back too far, get good heavy duty hinges and prop them open during the summer, then when winter comes close it up.

Much more sturdier than sliding door, and more draft resistant.

Don't think of it as a window, more like a door (it will have to be nearly as sturdy!)

my sister had that on her horsebarn, though not a wood structure...

Go take a stroll down the hardware aisle at the home improvement center!
(A carpenter or cabinet maker should be able to put you one together without problems)

Bluey
Jul. 23, 2011, 07:12 PM
Would plain hinges work?

We cut a window in our back wall in our cattle working shed, to let smoke from branding go out better and hinged it at the top.
Now we lift that window and hang it from the ceiling with a chain and snap when we want to leave it open.
It is out of the way of everyone.

You can figure most any way to open windows.
For sliders as you want there, how about not even needing slider hardware, just slide them on some top and bottom runners?

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 23, 2011, 07:34 PM
How about the hardware for sliding closet doors like in your house, would those work?

http://johnsonhardware.com/sdindex.htm

ayrabz
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:31 PM
If you do go with a 'shutter' type closure, check out what I had my carpenter guy fabricate for our stall windows:

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/t...view=slideshow

they'er toward the end of the slide show---(sorry if you've already seen it from earlier post) I wanted a 'window' that would still let in light, and that the horses could see out of, so I had him make these out of framed plexiglass, hinged to the exterior of the wooden frame out of the window, with locking hooks to hold them back when opened.

I love em!

Mosey_2003
Jul. 27, 2011, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't recommend making them slide, and I doubt the indoor closet hardware would last. I have a sliding window in my scale house and work and these things are nothing but trouble. They are draftier, less stable, and if crud gets in the rollers (you know it will) it stops working well and eventually the hardware will need replaced. I'd go for regular shutters with heavy duty hardware.