PDA

View Full Version : Rewilding

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:45 PM
Just horrible in the King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Stakes at Ascot. Frankie Dettori looks to have made it off the course ok. However seeing Rewilding go down just breaks your heart. He was just elevated to third on the world thoroughbred rankings behind equal top-raters Black Caviar and Frankel.

It was a small field of some of the best horses around: Workforce, St.Nicholas Abbey, Rewilding, Nathaniel, and Debussy.

Almost certainly to be euthanized :(

Drvmb1ggl3
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:55 PM
It's been confirmed he is gone, leg snapped in two, clean break.

Workforce may be hurt too, hung all the way across the course to the stand side. Will be interesting to see what they say about him post race.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:59 PM
Workforce may be hurt too, hung all the way across the course to the stand side. Will be interesting to see what they say about him post race.

Something looked amiss there too. It's not like his jock didn't switched his stick to the left side. Yet he kept drift like mad and blowing his chances.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:07 PM
Telegraph "Frankie Dettori's Rewilding suffers fatal injury in King George at Ascot" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8656906/Frankie-Dettoris-Rewilding-suffers-fatal-injury-in-King-George-at-Ascot-as-Nathaniel-wins.html)

[trainer]John Gosden said: "I attended the horse with the lad. He just put his leg down wrong and the cannon-bone snapped clean in two.

"I've seen it happen with a horse galloping in a paddock and they feel nothing. The vet was on hand as we gave the horse a final munch of grass and he dealt with it immediately."

Drvmb1ggl3
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:15 PM
Fair play to John Gosden, he is actually the trainer of Nathaniel, the horse that won the race. But instead of being with his winner he was 1/4 mile down the course tending to another trainer's stricken horse.

Cancara
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
I was watching live- it was devastating. The stricken horse ran loose up the track for a bit until they caught him, must have been a horrible sight, you could just see him behind the winning horse as it pulled up, but luckily for us TV viewers he was out of focus.

I had fancied Nathaniel and was glad to see him win but it just paled into insignificance. A lovely talented horse and a sad loss. :(

MintHillFarm
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:34 PM
I heard the race call on Sirius while driving ( on Dave Johnson/Bill Finley's show)...

Sick to hear that he continued running on after the fracture too. I am so sorry for the horse and his connections.

Toadie's mom
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:03 PM
Recorded the race, and for once I wish I'd have ckd. in here b4 watching :cry:

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:20 PM
I'm absolutely blown away by HRTV's choice to air the race moments ago (1:15pm EST) despite the horrible breakdown. They only remarked "there is a faller in the race" like he is some sort of 'also ran' who just happened be in there.

TVG which aired it live only would show the stretch run post breakdown and out of the frame of the camera. They specifically said at the time they wouldn't show the replay.

Further HRTV's on-air comments just was a complete disconnect with what transpired. As if the winner is somehow elevated by the victory - come on man! Just 5 starters with one breaking down (3rd best in the world) and another going effectively off course in the stretch leaving just two others.

Just bizarre that any channel would re-air that race in its entirety.

Glimmerglass
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:23 PM
Fair play to John Gosden, he is actually the trainer of Nathaniel, the horse that won the race. But instead of being with his winner he was 1/4 mile down the course tending to another trainer's stricken horse.

It was a very, very stand up act. He stepped in as a trainer would regardless that it wasn't his horse.

MintHillFarm
Jul. 23, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm absolutely blown away by HRTV's choice to air the race moments ago (1:15pm EST) despite the horrible breakdown. They only remarked "there is a faller in the race" like he is some sort of 'also ran' who just happened be in there.

TVG which aired it live only would show the stretch run post breakdown and out of the frame of the camera. They specifically said at the time they wouldn't show the replay.

Further HRTV's on-air comments just was a complete disconnect with what transpired. As if the winner is somehow elevated by the victory - come on man! Just 5 starters with one breaking down (3rd best in the world) and another going effectively off course in the stretch leaving just two others.

Just bizarre that any channel would re-air that race in its entirety.

Interesting you say this, as I thought there was a complete disconnect too on Dave Johnson/Bill Finley's radio show. After the call, they went on to discuss the race but no real mention of Rewilding's breakdown...

I would not want to watch the replay. The call was enough. And kudos to TVG for their discretion.

Cancara
Jul. 24, 2011, 03:59 AM
Here is a full summary of what happened. Note they also say that Workforce was struck into and had a cut on the hindleg:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/23/frankie-dettori-rewilding-fatality-ascot

Glimmerglass
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:21 AM
A further bit of recognition with the circumstances

Telegraph July 26, 2011 "Trainer John Gosden's act of dignity eased the pain of Ascot tragedy" (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/horseracing/8658511/Trainer-John-Gosdens-act-of-dignity-eased-the-pain-of-Ascot-tragedy.html)

excerpt (and to reiterate the point - John is NOT the trainer of Rewilding, instead he was the trainer of the winner, yet he was there calming Rewilding when they euthanized him.)

Gosden, calling on nearly four decades experience in racing, said: “It’s a freakish thing. He [Rewilding] has put the leg down wrong, and he’s broken the cannon-bone clean. He ran down the track in front of everyone and stopped. He was very calm and collected and we held him. He had to be dealt with because the leg was completely gone.

“It was a freak of nature. He was in no pain. The extraordinary thing is when they break a leg like that, it’s as though nature anaesthetises them. They feel absolutely no pain. They feel more with a cut. I fed him a bit of grass and he munched away. Unfortunately, he had to be put down.”

Cancara
Jul. 26, 2011, 05:20 AM
I sent a short message of condolence to Godolphin via their website and was amazed to get a response very quickly:

Thank you for your email and for your very kind words concerning Rewilding.

Rewilding was such a lovely horse and will be missed by everyone at Godolphin.

Frankie has given up his rides today in Germany to recover from his Ascot fall yesterday and to also have some precautionary x-rays.

Many thanks again for taking the time to contact us.