PDA

View Full Version : Clingy gelding keeps getting booty kicked...

SunsAfire
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:30 AM
My gelding gets incredibly attached to horses in the paddock. Almost instantly and 100%. Currently, he goes out with 2 mares and a very ancient lame gelding. Here's my problem: Pony mare keeps whoopin' his a$$! And he loves her! BO tried to separate them and all he does is pace the gate and scream for her until he's all lathered up. He's very passive and I'm apprehensive to put him in the large paddock with the rough and tumble big boys since he does not tend to fight back. But seriously, we have 4/5 scars on his face, a HUGE ol kick on his side, and his stifle is all torn up, and that's just this week.

I really, really want to stress that this is not something my BO has caused by placing him with the wrong herd ext, she's amazing and just as curious as I am.

Before I bought him they turned him out in a round pen by himself. I'm not doing that. He's a horse and deserves to be around his equine friends as far as I'm concerned, healthy for the mind. EXCEPT now we're so extreme in the obsessive direction.

Also, pony mare is up for trade - so am I looking at him mourning once she leaves? Is that humanizing him too much? What would you do if he was your adorable 14.2 gray?

Nes
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
If she's leaving anyway, separate them before there is a life-threatening injury.
Why don't you have BO put him & the other gelding in another paddock together?

What is a little stress compared with a broken leg?

(a friend of mine lost the best little pony this summer after being kicked to pieces by another horse)

Bluey
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:35 AM
Well, not right to keep him where he keeps being injured, one of those times, the injury may be life ending, like a misstep breaking something.:eek:

We can't prevent normal horse play, that is healthy for them, but right down attacks that harm, that is a serious accident waiting to happen.

I don't know what else to do, but to keep trying very carefully to find him a friend/friendly group to be turned out with and watch closely, so you can get him out before the wild stuff starts.

We had peace here for many years, the last year not so much, after our 30 year old passed away last summer.
He suffered a pasture accident, playing and bucking and running to the barn took a misstep and blew a knee.
He didn't look a day under 15.

His now 21 year old friend has since not been able to find another nice, easygoing horse to live with.
Every one or several we have tried with him start fine, but after a few weeks, they keep starting to pick on him and he starts losing hide and it keeps getting rougher, so we have to take him away.
He is fine alone, but also likes a friend, so we will keep trying.

It is rare to have these management problems, we never had them before, but guess that they do happen.

I don't know what to do, but to keep looking for a companion that will stay peaceful, won't start taking advantage and use our old horse for a punching bag.:(

Your problem is complicated because your horse is buddy sour, which ours is not, although he does love having a kind friend to scratch backs with, if they just won't then escalate to beat on him.

Above all, we need to keep trying to protect the ones that are not smart enough to stay out of the way, the horse social dummies of this world.;)

CosMonster
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:16 PM
I have a similar gelding. I find that as long as he has other horses around, there's little to no "mourning" when a horse leaves. My guy has to experience that a lot, too, since I have a lot of horses in and out of my place. He'll buddy up to one, I'll sell it or it will go home after its training, and he might holler like crazy as they load up and drive out but then he's happy as a clam with the other horses.

I do think you should absolutely separate your horse if he's getting those kinds of injuries, though. I don't mind a few bite marks or little scratches, but it sounds like he's at risk of serious injury there.

SonnysMom
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
He may do better with the all gelding herd. My gelding Finnegan cannot go out with mares. He falls in "LOVE". Gets stressed when you take him away, calls for his lost love etc...
He is fine with geldings.