PDA

View Full Version : He's Here!!

EasyStreet
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:45 AM
I don't know if you all will remember...but back in May I was offered a horse that is a Wallstreet Kid son and did the hunters his whole career. His owner retired him from jumping and felt he would be great for me to continue to learn lower level dressage on!! I was/am thrilled but at the time we were farm hunting and the one we were at did not have room for him. So fast forward to July....we are in our new farm(70acres) and Waldo is here with me and I am in LOVE!! He is out of shape so I plan on bringing him back slowly and the weather has been brutal...triple didgits...so I have just been bonding with hand walks,showers and grooming. As soon as it cools down a bit I will start riding him around the farm then as he fits up we will ride in the arena. I got a suggestion from a FB friend to shower him first then ride him dry! Does anyone else use this method in the high heat weather???? Is there any reason it is not a good idea?? As always I apprciate your input and experience!!...not sure if this works but I am trying to put a pic of my boy for you to see...if not i will seek help in the am
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000921250842#!/photo.php?fbid=226839260690114&set=a.152148758159165.22102.100000921250842&type=1&theater

smokygirl
Jul. 23, 2011, 03:09 AM
this hot.. i wouldnt even do that much. seriously it's just too hot (imo) unless you do it early morning, evening, (or hey.. if you have lights.. at night :) I used to ride a lot at night in the summer when i was a kid.. but we had lights around the outdoor :)

Congrats on welcoming him home and on your new farm!!

Sabovee
Jul. 23, 2011, 06:01 AM
Congrats - a friend of mine has a Wallstreet Kid gelding who is also named Waldo, he shows under a pro in dressage. I had to click on your picture just to make sure she didn't trundle him off in the middle of the night without telling me ;)

paulaedwina
Jul. 23, 2011, 06:23 AM
Oh poo I can't see him! I'd love to see your new guy. Can you upload the picture somewhere else?

Paula

Old Fashioned
Jul. 23, 2011, 07:53 AM
Congrats - Sounds like a neat horse!

GraceLikeRain
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
What a handsome boy! Compared to everyone I seem rather crazy but I ride every day even if the high is over 100. If it's triple digits I would hose him off, sweat scrape, and stick him in front of a box fan while you tack. It will likely be uncomfortably hot regardless but a nice walk/trot ride at 8 am means that it should be in the low to mid 90s. These temperatures shouldn't be dangerous to a horse, especially if you hose off first. If he does not seem to recover well then hoping on earlier (6 am if you can make it happen) and walking for 30-45 minutes will do a lot for his fitness.

EasyStreet
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:22 PM
Thank you all so much! Sabovee, that is funny..how old is your friends Waldo...mine is 18yrs old!...do the look at all alike?? Grace I wish I could be up and riding at 6am...but at 60yrs old...my bones have not let loose yet till about 10am...but I do think I should try to make that happen..I bet I would start sleeping better getting started that early!! http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=166485360090367&id=100001867115505&ref=notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply#!/photo.php?fbid=2106366550523&set=t.100000921250842&type=1&theater
Here's another pic of him!<3

summerhorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:27 AM
If you hose him off be sure and scrape him off, water sitting on his coat will actually heat up and make him hotter but ifyou scrape him off well it will cool like sweat. Congratulations!

Tasker
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:23 AM
Another vote for hose/scrape/tack up/ride/hose. On these hot days I've always been told to work on lots of things like turn on the forehand/haunches/leg yields in the walk rather than loads of canter and trot stuff...just easier on them and us in the heat. :)

Congrats on your Wallstreet Kid. We have a daughter that has been a broodmare since we bought her but I did ride her before the career shift...light footed, balanced with a super mind! WK was a lovely stallion who left behind so many nice riding horses!!! :yes: Enjoy your Waldo!!!

LarkspurCO
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:43 AM
Congratulations. He is beautiful.

I have a horse that doesn't sweat well, so I often hose him off before riding. Normally I let him dry most of the way first, but that doesn't take long in this climate.

I live at 7300 feet, so it cools down here nicely in the evenings and I get a nice ride at sunset. After a hot day in the pasture, the cold shower perks him up and we have a more energetic ride.

inca
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
Agree with others - I have a horse that doesn't sweat that well and I hose/scrape and then tack up and ride. The scraping part is VERY important.

Riding at the walk and gradually beginning a little trot work won't hurt if you ride either early in the morning or late in the evening. Just take it slowly since he is older and out of shape.

Valentina_32926
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:32 AM
Before I ride I hose the horse off and then scrape under fan, saddle and ride - from wet to dry back to wet (sweat). Nothing wrong with this, at least it has never caused me (or my horses) any issues.

JB
Jul. 25, 2011, 09:53 AM
Another vote for hose/scrape/tack up/ride/hose. On these hot days I've always been told to work on lots of things like turn on the forehand/haunches/leg yields in the walk rather than loads of canter and trot stuff...just easier on them and us in the heat. :)

This :yes:

As well, all that walking stuff can really get a good base of fitness from which to progress. Walking is highly underrated :)

*I* would spend a week or two walking all around your fantastic new property on a loose rein as long as he's going in a reasonable "frame", ie like in the picture. Forward, get him loose, good marching walk, can actually burn quite a bit of weight off him and get his body "lubed" for when real work begins.

In addition to getting him wet and scraping him off before you start, you could add some Vetrolin (or similar) to the water that you sponge over his rear and his front, but NOT under the saddle. That will provide a bit of extra and longer-lasting cooling effect.

EasyStreet
Jul. 25, 2011, 11:24 PM
Thank you all for all the tips...really like the Vetrolin wipe idea! Will be riding tomorrow depending on the much needed thunderstorms we are receiving now! That is exactly what Ithought I should do...ride him at a loose walk all over the farm...it's pretty rolling..so it is enough of a workout at a walk...at least it is for me!!!:winkgrin: I was a bit concerned that the fan on him wet might give him a cough or something but if noone has ever had that happen I know he sure would enjoy it!!!:yes: I love him so and he is the sweetest boy ever!!
:D