PDA

View Full Version : Naming suggestions

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:28 PM
soo.....no boyfriend, all my horses are broken or pregnant...and I have enough dogs/cats that I worry about being consider a crazy person. So in a momentary (or not so momentary) break in my sanity---I just bought another horse.

I'm not going to admit how many horses I own now:winkgrin:

But my newest addition is a 3 year old grey mare...super nice mind and VERY sweet personality, good mover and I expect will jump. To still appear sane to my friends, I said she is a sales prospect....but really...she is probably a keeper;) And I may not tell my family about her for a while:eek::eek:

Pedigree is here:

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/boo19

I need a show name...probably after a Led Zepplin song or album considering her sire's name.

So creative COTHers help me come up with a name.

I just have a phone snap shot--I'll try and get pictures next week.

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:33 PM
The first letter that popped into my head was "R", so call me psychic, but what's wrong with using daddy's name over again? It's great!

Or . . .

Whole Lotta Love
Kashmir
Rock and Roll
Ozone Baby
Living . . . Loving

lstevenson
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:34 PM
Congrats, she's cute!

I like "Rock and Roll"

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:48 PM
The first letter that popped into my head was "R", so call me psychic, but what's wrong with using daddy's name over again? It's great!

Or . . .

Whole Lotta Love
Kashmir
Rock and Roll
Ozone Baby
Living . . . Loving

LOL....daddy is competing as an eventer too need something different...but I agree, I love his name.

His breeder had suggested Kashmir
which I like.

All of those names are good.

Was also thinking

Fool in the Rain
Tea for one

ugh. I hate naming but I might try and take her to a FEH class later this year so need to come up with something!

VCT
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:09 PM
From Ramble on song lyrics....

Autumn Moon
Queen of Dreams
Bluebird

Other Led Zep songs:

All my love

Heartbreaker

Night Flight

Ozone Baby

Rock and Roll

Wearing and Tearing

White Summer

Whole Lotta Love

Or.... you could play of the dams name and go with....

Frosted

or just Frost or Frosting.

Toadie's mom
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:24 PM
I think there's more than one Kashmir registered with USEA, but I haven't checked in awhile. I tried to register a full TB with that name, but it's used and will never be released again according to the JC. Anyway I ended up naming her Dancing Days, which is another LZ song, but she's not registered with USEA. MLRanch (who posts here) now owns her, but I doubt she's going to compete her.

Kryswyn
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:34 PM
Don't know much Led Zepplin (I'm old enough, but they were never a fav) but going with the rock theme, you could give a tip of the hat to the Dead and go with Touch of Gray or in keeping with the dam's name, Touch of Frost.

Or from the Immigrant Song, (I come from the land of ) Ice & Snow.

SarahKing
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:33 PM
The May Queen
Fool in the Rain
Celebration Day
Misty Mountain
Dancing Days
Royal Orleans

JER
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:36 PM
soo.....no boyfriend, all my horses are broken or pregnant...and I have enough dogs/cats that I worry about being consider a crazy person.

So call her (the) Crazy Cat Lady. I think that's a very distinctive name for a horse, especially if she becomes famous. As she will, with that name.

(And I feel your pain. I just got a pony. :))

Flying Ponies
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:21 PM
Bron- Y-Aur
Black Dog
Physical Graffiti
Travelling Riverside Blues
Fool in the Rain

Misty Mountain

+1 for The Crazy Cat Lady LOL!!

Zu Zu
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:18 PM
LOVE YOUR NEW MARE :yes:

THANKS FOR SHARING ~

'STERLING IMPRESSION'

'SIMPLY STERLING'

CdnRider
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:27 PM
Nice Horse!

Rock On

Moody Mare
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
Great inspiration!!!!

Zoso
Queen of Light - from Battle of Evermore
Battle of Evermore
Whole Lotta Love

wishnwell
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
Zeppelin songs

Tea for One
Somethin' Else
Dazed and Confused
Fool in the Rain
Night Flight
Ramble On

Dr. Doolittle
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:10 PM
These are all great suggestions, have nothing else to offer, but what a nice pedigree!! I think this will be a lovely prospect (look forward to seeing more pix :D), and we all collectively promise that we won't tell anyone about your newest acquisition. (And congrats ;))

GingerJumper
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:45 AM
Bluebird. Name her Bluebird please!!! Haha. Sorry, just dying to name a horse after a bird already. I should have named the new one Mockingbird but I'd watched too much Top Gear before I registered him and so named him after a sports car...

yellowbritches
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
Oooo...High Scope. Nice. She should be fun. :D

I'm not much of a Zepplin fan, but a lot of those names would be fun. :yes:

CookiePony
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:30 AM
Why not one more? :lol:

You could call her "One More" for that matter...

I love her expression-- it reminds me to Taco. :D

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:49 AM
I like Rock on!!! :)

Sorta thought about Rock and Roll for my guy...

Have fun with her!!!

3phase
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:30 PM
She's a cutey!! I'm a sucker for greys :)

Watery Bint
Colours of a Shade
Rockin' at Midnight (probably suits a dark bay better)
Morning Dew
The Rain Song
Fortune Teller
Kashmir

or
Led On

Have fun with her!!!

JER
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
There's probably a good list of Led Zep songs that you don't want for your horse. Like these:

Gallows Pole
In My Time of Dying
Trampled Underfoot
Communication Breakdown

I'm not a Led Zep fan. They made a lot of repetitive noise and sang about hobbits. :eek:

frugalannie
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hmmm... Color of a Shade or just Shade. Great name for a gray horse.

LOVE her pedigree!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:30 PM
There's probably a good list of Led Zep songs that you don't want for your horse. Like these:

Gallows Pole
In My Time of Dying
Trampled Underfoot
Communication Breakdown

I'm not a Led Zep fan. They made a lot of repetitive noise and sang about hobbits. :eek:

LOL..yeah I saw The Lemon Song and thought...not that one! Dazed and Confused though might fit my riding sometimes;)

thanks for all the suggestions. I've got a good list going. I'm bringing her home next weekend. I'll play with her a bit and see which one sticks. I'll keep her barn name for sure...I'm supersitious enough:)

Right now the front runners are

Whole Lotta Love
Fool In the Rain
Tea for One
Dancing Days

But I like a lot of the names suggested here...of course it may come down to which song I like better! I can't wait to get her home....I'm pretty excited about her.

FLeckenAwesome
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:09 PM
oOoh, shade is a pretty name!

Post pics when you get her!!

JER
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:37 PM
The Crunge would also make for a terrible name.

Someone I know got a Steely Dan horse recently. His dam was named Pretzel Logic, IIRC his name is Showbiz Kids.

Now that is really, really cool. However, she didn't know the awesomeness that was Steely Dan, so was unaware of where the name came from.

Also, because I'm, uh, rambling on -- Robert Plant was my neighbor a couple of years ago. We'd say hello on the street when I was walking my dogs. I had no idea who he was but he was very nice, and I admit that from the way he dressed and talked, I thought he was (1) gay and (2) either a hairdresser or a stylist.

(I'm not so good at recognizing people out of context.)

ohrebecca
Jul. 23, 2011, 11:50 PM
Celebration Day
Carouselambra
Misty Mountain Hop
Night Flight (which is also the title of a novel by Antoine de Saint-Exupery, if you're a Little Prince fan!)
Royal Orleans
Tea for One

She's very pretty! Congratulations!!

tres grey
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:04 AM
She's gorgeous!

For the barn: Raleigh, Piper, Quinn, Zoe

For show: Fanfare, Fame, Almost Famous, Lemon Scented, Three Wishes, She's A Rocket, Clairvoyant, Rain Delay, Ella Bean, Berrymoore, Cee The Stars

---

Ah! I missed the Zeppelin part. I like:
All My Love
Dancing Days
Down by the Seaside
Fool in the Rain
Tangerine
Tea for One
Physical Graffiti

mcorbett
Jul. 24, 2011, 06:21 PM
My vote is either Whole Lotta Love or Crazy Cat Lady :)

Pettygirl
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:12 AM
Love all the Led Zeppelin suggestions. I just got my next show horse and I've been thinking the last few days of show names with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd or The Beatles song titles. I've settled on "Whole Lotta Love" for my girl! :)

I really like Fool in the Rain and Tangerine too.

purplnurpl
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:46 AM
Iron Butterfly

or

Iron Maiden

Oberon13
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:58 AM
No matter what her name is, we need more pics...and possible video! She's a cutie with a fantastic pedigree!

JER
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:11 PM
I've been thinking the last few days of show names with Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd...

Can you please name your next horse 'Careful With That Axe, Eugene'?

:D

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 26, 2011, 06:16 PM
No matter what her name is, we need more pics...and possible video! She's a cutie with a fantastic pedigree!

I know...I'm super excited about her. I pick her up and bring her home this weekend. I'll try and get some pictures then....She is 3 so still at a bit of a gangly growing stage. We will see how they come out!

She's already started well enough undersaddle so the plan is to get her out hacking (either ridden or pony her off my other mare). I might have her go out hound exercising/cubbing some too. Just been so hot and the ground is so hard right now no one really wants to do much of anything!

PettyGirl--good luck with your new one too! I really like "Whole Lotta Love".....but I'll make sure to pick something different (although JER's suggestion made me smile!) Fool in the Rain or Colours of a Shade are in the lead for me at the moment.

If I move off Led Zepplin to other rock bands...she may not be named for a while:D My current iPod has a lot of more modern rock bands

Cage the Elephant, Broken Bells, Crash Kings, Florance and the Machine, Linkin Park, Incubus, Shiny Toy Guns.....as well as Beatles, the Police, the Cure, the Smiths, U2 etc... So a lot of bands with some entertaining song names! But never hurts to look back at the classics;)

I hopefully have three foals coming next spring...I may have to do a rock song naming theme for them too. :D

purplnurpl
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:11 PM
Iron Butterfly

or

Iron Maiden

these are rock bands...BTW. : )

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 26, 2011, 09:39 PM
these are rock bands...BTW. : )

LOL...Yes they are...I consider them heavy metal....I like some of it.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:28 PM
Just picked up the girl today and what a cool filly!!!

She's not been out and about too much but was very well handled. She easily hopped on a strange new trailer. Backed off fine (not sure she'd ever done that). Looked around her new farm with interest...walked into the strange barn, strange wash stall, indoor ring etc. No biggie. Happy in her new stall.

Then she met the farm pot belly pig. :eek::eek: This pig has caused melt downs in many a new horse....not a big deal at all for this girl. She wasn't sure what it was but there was no drama.

Out with my other mare...and two sheep. She was not sure about the sheep but no drama. My other mare was being a pain--guarding her area and HER sheep. But the filly is smart and staying out of her way. I'm sure by morning they will be best friends;)

I was a fail on pictures but did take a short video. You can see her meeting the sheep in the video:D and my other mare being a brat:eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZUvBB1vEUw

Anyway...still thinking about the name but am leaning toward Colours of A Shade....as this filly is no fool (Fool in the Rain was the other name/song I liked)

Flying Ponies
Jul. 30, 2011, 05:37 PM
She is super cool :D, I LOVE your narration, LOL...

Maybe you could play on Zeppelin titles/lyrics and call her "No Fool in the Rain" or "Autumn Frost" or something like that .....

I don't know why but the words 'Sweet Iron' came to mind when I watched the vid. Good Luck!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:07 AM
She is super cool :D, I LOVE your narration, LOL...

Maybe you could play on Zeppelin titles/lyrics and call her "No Fool in the Rain" or "Autumn Frost" or something like that .....

I don't know why but the words 'Sweet Iron' came to mind when I watched the vid. Good Luck!

:lol::lol:Flying Ponies...I didn't realize my iPhone picked up my commentary;) This filly is really cool. She meet one of the barn dogs this morning...a very large mastif (Hope everyone is getting the idea that this farm is a bit like a zoo--great for bringing up young horses). She was on the cross ties and gave the dog a hairy eyeball but since I was petting the dog she decided she was fine.

I LOVE a horse with brains.

I like your name suggestions......I might take her to a FEH class soon so I need to pick a name soon.:eek:

Here barn name is "Boo". While I don't love it...I'm not changing that. Perhaps I can make a play on that name too.

vineyridge
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:14 AM
Frosty Morning, after the wonderful Blue Mare in the Alice O'Connell books from the 50's. She went to the Olympics as an event horse.

Flying Ponies
Jul. 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
Maybe something celestial... Apparently there is a constellation Bootes, or you could use Boo as a nickname for Borealis some info here :

http://www.constellations-and-backyard-stargazing.com/bootes-constellation.html

Or maybe some Lord of the Rings reference, to relate it to Ramble On ?

She does sound like she has got it all together :)

lstevenson
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:49 PM
For show: Fanfare

Ooh, I like Fanfare!

http://www.MyVirtualEventingCoach.com
Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/pages/My-Virtual-Eventing-Coach/121366797928434)

NeverTime
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:01 AM

+1 ... and the names of their songs always seem so random compared to the lyrics. Bugs me. The name of a Zepplin song is rarely obvious.

However, on the horse naming, congrats BFNE! I always wanted a High Scope baby. He was very cool.

I like Tea for One, or All My Love. (Why isn't it called "All OF My Love" -- that's what he says in the song, but whatevs. A small transgression compared with songs like "The Battle of Evermore" or "Kashmir" or "Tangerine"...)