PDA

View Full Version : Speak to me of dumpsters...

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:22 PM
I have a 2 cubic yard dumpster from Waste Management. Once a week, a big noisy truck comes & provides bombproofing for the horses while removing the manure.

I have a big Rubbermaid cart, into which I put a 50 gallon Rubbermaid trash can. If I clean twice a day, the can ends up being ~ 2/3 full each time. (I have 2 horses & 1 pony, and they are in dirt pens - no shavings.)

I wheel the cart over next to the dumpster, then sort of lever the can up so that I can dump it.

My right elbow is starting to give out. So I can make multiple trips to the dumpster, with smaller loads each time, or figure out some way to reduce the amount of lifting I have to do.

If the dumpster were partially buried, I could (I think) tip the can up onto the edge of the cart and dump it without actually having to lift the full weight of the can + manure. (Give me a lever long enough...)

And if it were partially buried, I could have a smaller ramp if I wanted to use the cart without the trash can and simply tip the cart's contents directly into the dumpster.

Or I could do what some people do, and just fill the cart, then dump it on the ground beside the dumpster, then transfer it a forkful at a time from the ground into the dumpster. Which would be rather like having to pick up after 4 horses & 2 ponies.

What do you do with your smallish dumpsters, those of you who have them? Some people half-bury them (leaving the brackets exposed so the truck can lift them). Some use ramps.

Looking for some inspiration here. Thanks!

Bluey
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:51 PM
How close is the dumpster to the barn?

Could you use some of these lift tables to cart your muck cart around?

http://www.lift-tables.net/lifttables/mobile.html?gclid=CNHrjOrblaoCFQzHKgodgHikxg

They come in all kinds, some with built in jacks, some work with air or electricity, some with chains, you may find one that could help your elbow and back.

There are big dollies that those that deliver furniture and appliances use, that have a small platform that lifts to the back of the truck, they scoot the appliance on it, lower it with some chain gears and then wheel it into houses.

May seem pricey, but is cheaper than elbow surgery.

wsmoak
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:57 PM
Perfect excuse to buy a little tractor with a front loader!

I would call Waste Management and describe the problem. I bet they have people who design systems for different uses.

The same thing happened here with my compost bin. It has boards that fit into a slot to make the front, and at first I could put a ramp on it and drive the wheelbarrow up it to dump. Now that it's almost full, I have to use muck buckets and heave them over the side. I can only fill them 2/3 full at most or I can't get them emptied.

Bluey
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
Found it for you:

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/BMPLiftDollyESC.php

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:50 PM
Bluey -

I like the looks of that lift dolly thing - but I wonder how well it would maneuver in deep sand...

I have to pick up manure from the arena - sand over quarter minus - and from the pens, which have deep sand at the bottom for drainage (and where they mostly poop).

Gotta think about this some. Thanks!

Phaxxton
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:58 PM
Personally, I pick my stalls into muck buckets and have a little much bucket cart to wheel it around. I can stack two full muck buckets in the cart. I then have smaller loads to dump into the dumpster. My dumpster is bigger than yours, I think, and has side doors. However, the doors are only good for about 4 days of the week, then the dumpster gets too full, and I have to go in the top. My dumpster isn't too far from my barn, though, so the multiple trips aren't that much of a nuisance.

I can't bury my dumpster at all because then the truck couldn't lift it... I am interested to see if anyone has any good suggestions. I like those lift tables, but I think my DH would laugh at me if I suggest them because the muck buckets aren't so bad. We do have a tractor with a front end loader, but unless I pull the tractor into the barn and pick stalls into the bucket, I don't see it being less work.

Bluey
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:06 PM
Right after shoulder surgery, I was using my muck bucket cart and then dumping one handed into the lowered tractor bucket, then dumping with the bucket, that holds about 8 3/4 full muck buckets.:yes:

The OP could make a 3' to 4' loading dock with dirt, held with railroad ties and put the dumpster against it.
Have a long dirt ramp up to it to wheel the cart up there.:)

Phaxxton
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
Right after shoulder surgery, I was using my muck bucket cart and then dumping one handed into the lowered tractor bucket, then dumping with the bucket, that holds about 8 3/4 full muck buckets.:yes:

Ah, that is a good idea to keep in mind for days when my back is bad! :yes:

Melissa.Van Doren
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
Before you start digging, make sure the trucks will still be able to pick up your dumpster if it's lower. Maybe not.

How about a ramp? Maybe not high enough to let you dump from above, but just high enough to take the big strain off your arms?

Guin
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:02 PM
I can't find a picture of what I'm looking for, but I'll try to describe it. Can you build up a ramp to the top of the dumpster? Not a flimsy plywood thing, but a solid ramp made from packed down dirt, with the rectangle for the dumpster lined with a concrete-block retaining wall?

Do you have an area on your property that has a natural slope, where you could excavate a space for the dumpster?

Guin
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:06 PM
There's this.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/167962/Loading-Ramp-Accessory-Muck-Truck?sku=167962&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=00-48813213-2&src=25SESHP

msj
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
If you could build either a sturdy wooden ramp or, as as Guin suggested, maybe a solid dirt or stone type of ramp, that might be your easiest fix.

I've got a concrete block bunker that I used to fill and the farmer would come over and remove it, either with a front end loader or manure spreader. Farmer screwed up a couple times too many so I ended up going with a large dumpster which is cheaper overall. The original concrete block bunker had a ramp that went to ~2' in height and probably 10' long. The dumpster is 5' in height so I end up dragging muck baskets up and heaving them in. I can't use a muck bucket cart because it means going over gravel and the carts actually get stuck so I just drag them and try to NOT make them more than 1/2 full.

Bluey
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
There's this.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/167962/Loading-Ramp-Accessory-Muck-Truck?sku=167962&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=00-48813213-2&src=25SESHP

What do you know, they already make just what you need.

Take that picture to your local welding shop and ask what they would charge to make you one like that one, of the height and size you want.
I think it will be considerably cheaper.

saddleup
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
I gave up and bought a little Kubota tractor. I empty the muck buckets down into the front loader, then drive the tractor over to my dumpster and empty it. When I first built my barn I developed tennis elbow from lifting and dumping the muck buckets, so had to hire help until I healed. It made more sense to me to just bite the bullet and buy a tractor since I needed to be able to do it all myself. At least my monthly payment was going toward something I would own and could use in other ways, too.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:48 PM
Because this is not really a farm, I don't have a lot of options regarding where to put my dumpster (so that WM can get to it) and there are not a lot of options for putting a permanent ramp next to it.

Really, the only place I could put a permanent ramp would be leading up to the back edge of the dumpster, which would mean having to flip the lids open onto the ramp, then push the muck cart over the lids.

I might be able to put that loading ramp that Bluey found (http://www.gemplers.com/product/167962/Loading-Ramp-Accessory-Muck-Truck?sku=167962&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=00-48813213-2&src=25SESHP) on the driveway side of the dumpster (and then periodically rake the manure inside the dumpster to spread it evenly), but I'm not sure that wouldn't block too much of the driveway when I need to get my trailer out & when the hay delivery guys come.

In the attached photo, the blue circle shows where the dumpster is. The WM truck comes down the driveway, empties the dumpster, then backs out the driveway and somehow turns around to head north on the street to the east of the arena.

At one point, the dumpster was farther back, closer to the pens. But when the big rains came in July, the ground got soft and the weight of the WM truck broke some underground pipes. So we try to keep the big trucks on the firm driveway.

ETA: I have tractor lust. But I'm not sure our 1+ acre property justifies a tractor... :-(

casper324
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
I don't know if Waste Management Co is in your area but saw on one of their commercials a "fabric" dumpster that I thought would be ideal for a farm. It looked like a giant BJ's Wholesale Club bag that gets lifted into the garbage truck.

ReSomething
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
We used to have an Iveco flatbed with a flyswatter lift gate and it saw a lot of use around the home as an elevating platform/giant ladder.
I'm not really suggesting you run out and buy one though.

They make liftgates for pickup trucks but really you might be better off with an FEL, or perhaps you could put a ramp up to your pickup bed, roll the wheelbarrow up into it and then back the truck up to the dumpster and get a little height from there to make it easier.
If you have the dumpster on paved ground they do have wheels and can be turned around to face Bluey's ramp to avoid having to try to get over the lids. Not easy to roll but it can be done, and I'm not positive but I think they can be lifted by the garbage truck from either side, or you could put the ramp off to one side and shove the dumpster in front of it sideways, then shove it back to the truck access on trash day. I don't know enough about how much room you have from the photo to be sure any of this will work, but good luck anyway.

Bluey
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:13 PM
We used to have an Iveco flatbed with a flyswatter lift gate and it saw a lot of use around the home as an elevating platform/giant ladder.
I'm not really suggesting you run out and buy one though.

They make liftgates for pickup trucks but really you might be better off with an FEL, or perhaps you could put a ramp up to your pickup bed, roll the wheelbarrow up into it and then back the truck up to the dumpster and get a little height from there to make it easier.
If you have the dumpster on paved ground they do have wheels and can be turned around to face Bluey's ramp to avoid having to try to get over the lids. Not easy to roll but it can be done, and I'm not positive but I think they can be lifted by the garbage truck from either side, or you could put the ramp off to one side and shove the dumpster in front of it sideways, then shove it back to the truck access on trash day. I don't know enough about how much room you have from the photo to be sure any of this will work, but good luck anyway.

First, I didn't find that neat ramp picture, Guin did that.:cool:

Several good ideas there.
The dumpster we have is not very large and the truck tends to leave it crooked.
I have a regular steel T post I use to leverage below the place the truck hooks to it to turn it back into place.
I know even full, I can scoot it around easily given a fulcrum, so the ideas of turning it around for the truck day are doable.

I would call the Waste Management company, as they may have some solutions for you we may not have thought about.

I still think even a little bitty tractor with any size bucket would be so much help with all you do, not only handling manure.:yes:
I you get one, you will wonder why it took so long.;)

Whatever you do, quit irritating your elbow, that wear and tear may become a permanent injury.:(

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:22 PM
Rotation of the dumpster by hand is not an option. Been there, tried that. Failed. With it empty, Mr. RAR & I together were unable to shift it. We finally hooked it to the pickup & towed it. Although that might have been the 3-cubic yard dumpster - bigger than the one we have now. Still, no way I could rotate it by myself.

It's on a gravel/hardpack driveway, not a paved surface. The wheels tend to sink in just a bit. Even when they don't, I can't budge it. (Except *cugh* if I happen to, um, "nudge" it with the pickup... *cough*)

I'm trying to picture what would happen if the dumpster were placed so that the truck picked it up from the back (so I could have a ramp of some kind leading up to the front). As it stands, the driver often doesn't fully empty it out (resulting in many kvetching phone calls on my part to WM customer service). I think having it lifted backwards might make that even worse, because the lids would be in the way of the dumping.

I have seen ads for the bag-type dumpsters - I believe those are designed for one-shot disposal of a bunch of stuff, not routine service. Plus I think it would greatly increase my fly issues, because the manure would be exposed.

Regarding using the pickup - it would certainly be easier to dump from the pickup into the dumpster, but I'd still somehow have to get the manure lifted into whatever receptacle was sitting in the back of the pickup.

Someone on FB suggested using a conveyor belt. (Not quite sure what the reasoning was ;-) Perhaps I could train the horses to poop on the conveyor belt...

In the Air
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:19 PM
[quote=Guin;5735166]There's this.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/167962/Loading-Ramp-Accessory-Muck-Truck?sku=167962&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=00-48813213-2&src=25SESHP[/quote

Great Idea!!

ReSomething
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:48 PM
Rotation of the dumpster by hand is not an option. Been there, tried that. Failed. With it empty, Mr. RAR & I together were unable to shift it. We finally hooked it to the pickup & towed it. Although that might have been the 3-cubic yard dumpster - bigger than the one we have now. Still, no way I could rotate it by myself.

It's on a gravel/hardpack driveway, not a paved surface. The wheels tend to sink in just a bit. Even when they don't, I can't budge it. (Except *cugh* if I happen to, um, "nudge" it with the pickup... *cough*)
Yes, unfortunately sometimes I tend to think of things with the rose colored glasses that come from having had a forklift and a lovely cement floor. Shoving stuff around is perfectly OK in that situation, we did it all the time.

I'm trying to picture what would happen if the dumpster were placed so that the truck picked it up from the back (so I could have a ramp of some kind leading up to the front). As it stands, the driver often doesn't fully empty it out (resulting in many kvetching phone calls on my part to WM customer service). I think having it lifted backwards might make that even worse, because the lids would be in the way of the dumping.
Well, it could sure be a mess if stuff hit the lids and bounced all over everywhere. My trash man leaves things in my trash can too, it's extremely annoying.

I have seen ads for the bag-type dumpsters - I believe those are designed for one-shot disposal of a bunch of stuff, not routine service. Plus I think it would greatly increase my fly issues, because the manure would be exposed.

Regarding using the pickup - it would certainly be easier to dump from the pickup into the dumpster, but I'd still somehow have to get the manure lifted into whatever receptacle was sitting in the back of the pickup.

Lots of folks with ATV's and dirt bikes have a special ramp they use to get the machine into the back of a pu bed. The idea would be to take a run at the truck and roll your laden wheelbarrow up into the bed and then fling forkfuls from there.

Someone on FB suggested using a conveyor belt. (Not quite sure what the reasoning was ;-) Perhaps I could train the horses to poop on the conveyor belt...

No, really, haven't you ever seen a roofer loading a roof with shingles? Or the baggage handlers loading the belly of a plane? It's called an incline conveyor and you'd drop your forkfuls of manure onto it and they'd just fall off the end into the dumpster. Great idea, just kinda expensive and large. An old Iveco or similar with a liftgate would be the same price and you could load it up with a LOT of hay if you needed to.

We had dozens of different kinds of conveyors at work and they moved stuff around the building under the ceiling, they traversed the floor to go into the backs of different trucks, they extended up to 40' long - all kinds of coal and raw metals/ore travel on the things, but for your acre the tractor with FEL would be so much more useful. Don't forget that the ramp that Guin found is probably something you could leave in the front of the dumpster and then shift on trash day, even if you did have to build it some skids and tow it with the pu.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
I'm wondering about something like this:

http://www.discountramps.com/arched-atv-ramps.htm

Really light weight, so easy to move around. But I'd have to figure out how to keep them from sliding off the edge of the dumpster.

There's also a folding version that's somewhat heavier & more expensive. I don't think I need the ability to fold, though - unless I wanted to schlep my quad around in the back of the truck.

http://www.discountramps.com/90_lawn_tractor_ramps.htm

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:17 PM
ReSomething -

I really do like the idea of training the horses to poop on the conveyor belt. I bet I could get The Naughty Pony to do it. He's tidy and generally has only one pile when let out of Fat Boy Jail in the morning :yes:

ReSomething
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:51 PM
Mmkay. How tall is your dumpster off the ground and just how do you plan to push a laden wheelbarrow up ramps desgned to be driven up. You could push a laden wheelbarrow into the back of the pu because they are only about three foot off the ground, but most dumpsters are four feet at least. Even if you bought two sets so you had somewhere to walk the angle would change enough to make it mighty hard to do a straight shot into the dumpster - and the idea here is to make this easier on your body isn't it?

I suppose that if you bought the two sets, put them on the pu, rolled the wbarrow into the pu and shoved it right up against the cab, backed up close to the dumpster, but not too close, put the two sets from the dumpster into the pu bed and then rolled the wb right up to the dumpster and very carefully tipped it all in it could work. The ramps have little lips designed to fit over a tailgate, they should act the same on a dumpster.

You could build a moveable A frame with a power hoist for your own "bag", you could have a telephone pole planted and guyed and then put a boom with a power block on that - you could get really crazy. Just depends on what fits the space and the budget.

ReSomething
Jul. 24, 2011, 10:53 PM
ReSomething -

I really do like the idea of training the horses to poop on the conveyor belt. I bet I could get The Naughty Pony to do it. He's tidy and generally has only one pile when let out of Fat Boy Jail in the morning :yes:

Why not? MB has a mare that pees in a bucket. She even posted a picture not too long ago.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:10 AM
The top of the front edge of the dumpster is 36" off the ground. The tailgate of my pickup truck, when opened, is 38" off the ground.

So *if* the ramps were stable enough, I could space them correctly and roll the wheelbarrow up the ramp, tip it up, and dump it in.

The wheels measure 32" from outer edge to outer edge. If the ramps are 12" wide, I'd probably have to walk with my feet a little wider than normal, but it would be doable.

The question would be, how steep would the ramp be? Would it be too steep for me to tip up the wheelbarrow from where I would be standing on the ramp? My calculations say it would be about 24 degrees - possibly too steep? I guess I need to find something the same length as the ramp and prop it up against the dumpster to get a better feel for it.

I was thinking I might be able to get Mike the Welding Guy Who Fixed My Fence to weld a bracket onto the top end of each ramp, so the bracket would sit over the top edge of the dumpster and hold each ramp in place.

Another alternative would be to attach some kind of container(s) to the rack on the back of my quad (also about 36" off the ground), drive the quad around to pick up the manure, then dump it from the quad. Seems awfully un-green, though, to run the quad 2-3 times a day just to pick up the manure from 2 1/2 horses.

Bicoastal
Jul. 25, 2011, 05:20 PM
Dear God,
Please do not let me have nightmares about flying wheelbarrows and ramps tonight.
Amen,
Bicoastal :lol:

When I worked in SoCal, every barn on the street had WM dumpsters. I loathe the giant green things.

I pitchforked the wheelbarrow contents created by 15 horses up and over into the dumpster. Seemed like I was mucking twice, having to fork it all twice. Plastic pitchforks didn't stand up to the task, so we used a heavy, heavy all-metal pitchfork, the handle covered by a PVC tube to ease our hands.

It was awful, dangerous, and stupid. But the only way to get it done by hand. And manure dumpsters are How It is Done in some areas, when I'm sure lots of SoCal hippies and yuppies would pay lots for "fresh, steamy, earth-friendly, go-green, organic manure" :winkgrin:! Ramps were tried and failed. They bounced, wheels or your feet slipped even with lateral slats, it slid off the edge of the dumpster while you were en route, etc. The heavy 'barrow might roll back at you :eek:: quick bail!, everything goes flying, cover your head with your arms in case the ramp comes down on top of you.

You bet your elbow is aching! Elbow, back, shoulders, neck. Lift and twist to skewer fork into 'barrow. Heave ho a ton of manure onto the fork. Lift twist it out of the borrow, rotate shoulder back, lift, and pitch the fork overhead into the dumpster.

5 years later I have 3 ruptured discs, a messed up SI, and degenerative disc disease. Can't even pick hooves no less ride. Gee, wonder why? Buy a tractor!

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 25, 2011, 08:07 PM
OMGiH, Bicoastal! Sounds like you had a horrendous time in Manureville :(:eek::(:eek::(:eek::(

Fortunately, I only have 2 horses & a naughty pony to clean up after, not 15. I can't even imagine how much manure that would be. (OK, I guess 5 times as much as I have.)

I'm sure your WM dumpsters were larger than my little 2 cu yard on, too. Even so, I'm leery about the slipping issue - both slipping off/down the ramp and having the ramp slip off the dumpster. I would need to get hooks or a bracket of some kind welded to the dumpster end of the ramp to secure it.

My current thought, while I'm still pondering the whole ramp thing, is to take 4 of my 21 lb Bio-Sponge buckets (of which I have many, alas) and put those into the big wheelbarrow. I'm pretty sure that 4 would fit nicely in there. Then I can empty those one at a time into the dumpster, and each bucket should be of a manageable weight.

I could even use 6 or 8, and fill them partway, then stack them.

Once the small buckets are emptied, I can tip out the stuff that will no doubt have fallen down in between the buckets, rake that up, and fork that into the dumpster.

If I have to in the mornings, I can always make 2 trips to the dumpster. I've done that before in the rainy season, because the wet manure is just too heavy. Almost always, the manure has dried out sufficiently during the heat of the day that the evening load is not terribly heavy. But even with our 80-90 degree overnight temps, the morning manure isn't anywhere near as dry.

It's a lose-lose situation: pick it up early, before the sun starts beating down, or leave it until it dries up a bit, and pick it up in the blistering heat of the day. If I let it sit around too long, the boys grind it into the sand, and even with my fine-tined fork, I end up with lots of little pieces of manure in the pens.

Teaching them to poop on a conveyor belt is sounding better and better....

bluemooncowgirl
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:20 AM

Maybe they meant to use the conveyor belt to get the poop from the bucket into the dumpster, like how we use a hay elevator to get the hay from the tractor trailer to the hay loft.

But hey, if you can teach the horses to poop on the conveyor belt, even better!:winkgrin:

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
Maybe they meant to use the conveyor belt to get the poop from the bucket into the dumpster, like how we use a hay elevator to get the hay from the tractor trailer to the hay loft.

But hey, if you can teach the horses to poop on the conveyor belt, even better!:winkgrin:
I think you're right, but I like my way better :D

Mosey_2003
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:17 AM
Why not get a dolly with a lift, scoot the can onto it, lift it into the bed of the pickup, and then back up to the dumpster and tip it in? Couple extra steps, but not a lot of physical strain.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:29 AM
Why not get a dolly with a lift, scoot the can onto it, lift it into the bed of the pickup, and then back up to the dumpster and tip it in? Couple extra steps, but not a lot of physical strain.

I don't want to have to use the pickup. It's loud & highly fuel-inefficient. More importantly, most of the time during the winter, the horse trailer is hooked up to it.

Plus the dolly would have to have large enough wheels & be stable enough to negotiate the sand in the arena and the really deep sand in the horse pens.

However... I wonder if I could get some kind of lift to put into the manure cart, and put the trash can on that - then use the lift to raise up the trash can high enough to tip it into the dumpster.... THAT might work... Although it would make the cart heavier to haul around.:(

Mosey_2003
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:33 AM
I didn't mean use the dolly the whole way mucking, just from the muck cart to the dolly, then the dolly to the truck, but I see your point.

Paddys Mom
Jul. 27, 2011, 11:55 AM
I am anxiously following this thread, watching for some brilliant idea.

I have a 1.5 cubic yard dumpster on wheels. I fill it by cleaning stalls/paddocks into muck tubs and dumping them. Ugh. I drag the muck tubs around in a garden cart from Tractor Supply. I can also tow the garden cart with the quad if I want.

Every week, we have to tow the dumpster to the end of our driveway with our quad for pickup, because our dumpster company doesn't want to risk ruining our driveway by driving on it.

This whole system is hard physical work and doesn't feel very efficient. :no:

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:28 PM
Paddys Mom - sounds like you're worse off than I am! How many horses do you have? Not many, I assume, if your dumpster is only 1.5 cubic yards.

At least I don't have to schlep my dumpster around (although we do trundle the recycling bin out to the street each week - but that's just a vertical plastic bin with wheels).

I don't have any problems with the first stages of my manure removal - I drag the muck cart around through the arena & the pens, pick up the manure & put it in the cart (mostly, in some container that sits in the cart), and haul it to the dumpster.

That's where my problems begin - getting the manure from the cart into the dumpster. The initial piles of manure - each quite manageable in weight - have morphed into a too-heavy-to-lift-easily mass of manure that must be moved from where it sits in the cart to the air above the dumpster, whereupon gravity takes over. So it has to be moved both vertically and horizontally.

And I either need something (or someone, like Mr. RAR, when he's around - or me, before my elbow gave out) strong enough to lift the entire mass, or I need to divide the mass into small-enough-to-handle portions.

I suppose that I could use the muck cart without the trash can, and then use the manure fork to load the contents into the dumpster (as opposed to dumping it onto the ground and forking it up from there). But that still means picking up the manure twice, one forkful at a time. And I would still end up having to dump the muck cart onto the ground to get the last bits of manure out.

Mr. RAR leaves tomorrow for a week & a half in Canada, so I'll have lots of opportunities to try different approaches. I think my first trial will be with the multiple supplement buckets - see how that works.

Mosey_2003
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
I should just send you my Dad, he's the best at rigging stuff like that on the farm out of scraps of what we have laying around :lol:

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
I should just send you my Dad, he's the best at rigging stuff like that on the farm out of scraps of what we have laying around :lol:

:sadsmile:

My dad was the same. Alas, he's been gone 16 years...

ReSomething
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:44 PM
:sadsmile:

My dad was the same. Alas, he's been gone 16 years...

Well, he would have had fun with this
http://www.harringtonhoists.com/products/product_detail.lasso?prodID=61&priID=6 .

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:54 PM
Well, he would have had fun with this
http://www.harringtonhoists.com/products/product_detail.lasso?prodID=61&priID=6 .

LOL - that might be a BIT of overkill for the manure from 2 horses & a naughty pony!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

ReSomething
Jul. 27, 2011, 02:04 PM
You could put your car in the dumpster with this thing, one of the hoists at Spud Pt Marina - if the link works it's the white thing in the back.http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Bodega+Bay,+CA&hl=en&ll=38.330226,-123.05884&spn=0,0.001523&sll=38.209797,-84.558831&sspn=0.107097,0.195007&z=19&layer=c&cbll=38.330324,-123.058873&panoid=ogYjAfzBlFR9M3f311MhFA&cbp=12,70.55,,2,-1.35

Bluey
Jul. 27, 2011, 02:14 PM
Could you set an 8' post on the ground by the dumpster, add a swinging arm to it, put a little chain hoist on the end, use a piece of pipe the length of the width of your manure buckets, tie the handles to that bar, lift the buckets by the hoist, swing them over the trash bin until resting on any edge and then dump them?

If you have two or three buckets, it would not take five more minutes and no lifting at all by you.:)

I still think the furniture lifting dolly I linked to before would work for you about the same:

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/BMPLiftDollyESC.php

Paddys Mom
Jul. 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
Paddys Mom - sounds like you're worse off than I am! How many horses do you have?

1 horse, 1 pony, and 1 pony-sized donkey.

LisaW-B
Jul. 27, 2011, 08:39 PM
If you build a conveyer belt and try to train your horses to poop on it, Whiskey is totally blogging about it. :lol: I say just dig a hole (or, more accurately, have a hole dug) if the lifting motion is getting to be too much for you.

Ruth0552
Jul. 27, 2011, 08:44 PM
This sounds stupid- but you need to dig a RAMP.

At the back of the ramp the hole would be a convenient depth such that you are dumping down... and the WM people can still back down the ramp to dump the dumpter.

I'm not sure if I've explained that efficiently enough. Some people make these for hay trailers- so that you can back the trailer in and leave it, and the big trailer doors end up level with the ground at the back of the ramp.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 08:46 PM
Could you set an 8' post on the ground by the dumpster, add a swinging arm to it, put a little chain hoist on the end, use a piece of pipe the length of the width of your manure buckets, tie the handles to that bar, lift the buckets by the hoist, swing them over the trash bin until resting on any edge and then dump them?

If you have two or three buckets, it would not take five more minutes and no lifting at all by you.:)

I can't picture what you're describing. "set an 8' post on the ground by the dumpster" - do you mean sink it into the ground like a fence post?

I still think the furniture lifting dolly I linked to before would work for you about the same:

http://www.southern-tool.com/store/BMPLiftDollyESC.phpDepends on how much mechanical advantage you get out of that crank. If I have to strain to turn the crank, that's possibly worse than just lifting straight up.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 27, 2011, 08:52 PM
This sounds stupid- but you need to dig a RAMP.

At the back of the ramp the hole would be a convenient depth such that you are dumping down... and the WM people can still back down the ramp to dump the dumpter.

I'm not sure if I've explained that efficiently enough. Some people make these for hay trailers- so that you can back the trailer in and leave it, and the big trailer doors end up level with the ground at the back of the ramp.

I think I can picture it - but I'd have to dump from the sides, because the lids would open out onto the ground at the back of the dumpster. (Or the dumpster would be too far away from the back edge for me to be able to dump directly into it.)

I'm not sure what this gains me over having the dumpster partially sunk into ground. Sounds like much more digging (and reinforcing the area where the WM truck would drive) for not that much added convenience.

ReSomething
Jul. 27, 2011, 10:19 PM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=engine+hoist&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=953&bih=503&wrapid=tlif131181563731210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6830288698698252628&sa=X&ei=8LcwTurzHcqjtgf0lLiICQ&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAA#

How about this doohicky then. Goes up to 78". Doesn't look like it swings though.

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 28, 2011, 12:17 AM
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=engine+hoist&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=953&bih=503&wrapid=tlif131181563731210&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=6830288698698252628&sa=X&ei=8LcwTurzHcqjtgf0lLiICQ&ved=0CFMQ8wIwAA#

How about this doohicky then. Goes up to 78". Doesn't look like it swings though.

I could lift the boys with this...

ReSomething
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:11 PM
I can't picture what you're describing. "set an 8' post on the ground by the dumpster" - do you mean sink it into the ground like a fence post?

. . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_(sailing)#Other_boom_uses Note where it says "lift dinghy into boat". . .

We had a commercial fishing boat long years ago and it was fitted with a mast (= tall fence post in the ground) and a boom. The wiki has a drawing of a boom and how it relates to the mast and how it can be fastened so as to raise, lower and swing through a 180 degree arc horizontally.
The boom had a multi purchase block and tackle that raised and lowered the end, and it was also fitted with an electric winch so DH could bring bags of product aboard and lower it into the hold. The whole mess was made of steel pipe that had been custom made by a welding shop. On the old boat it was all wood and much prettier.
When I said "plant a phone pole in the yard", that is what I meant and possibly where Bluey is going, too.

Most folks with a farm make use of their tractors' FELs, maybe with a forklift attachment, to achieve the same goal of handling material, but a truck mounted boom or A frame still gets some use from the septic and propane tank guys.

Zwarte
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:16 PM
Mount this next to the dumpster (not on a truck), high enough to get your manure load over the side:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-ton-capacity-pickup-truck-crane-with-cable-winch-37555.html

Or put "lift" in the search box and find lots of novel and cheap ideas. I have an aversion to spending hundreds or thousands of dollars on manure handling devices.

Dazednconfused
Jul. 28, 2011, 01:22 PM
Personally, I pick my stalls into muck buckets and have a little much bucket cart to wheel it around. I can stack two full muck buckets in the cart. I then have smaller loads to dump into the dumpster. My dumpster is bigger than yours, I think, and has side doors. However, the doors are only good for about 4 days of the week, then the dumpster gets too full, and I have to go in the top. My dumpster isn't too far from my barn, though, so the multiple trips aren't that much of a nuisance.

I can't bury my dumpster at all because then the truck couldn't lift it... I am interested to see if anyone has any good suggestions. I like those lift tables, but I think my DH would laugh at me if I suggest them because the muck buckets aren't so bad. We do have a tractor with a front end loader, but unless I pull the tractor into the barn and pick stalls into the bucket, I don't see it being less work.

Actually, what I do is muck into trashcans/small muck buckets and then dump those into the front-loader bucket of our tractor. It actually works quite well. There is still some lifting, but you can put the bucket at whatever height suits you (and can use a handle on the can/muckbucket as leverage if needed too). We have a compact tractor that is just slightly narrower than the width of the 3 cubic yard dumpster, so it works perfectly.

I don't think there's any way (for our setup anyway) to sink the dumpster. Instead it's on flat railroad ties, level with the street pavement outside, behind a rolling gate. The trash guys open the gate and the opening is just wide enough for the truck to get its forks into the dumpster.

When I first started working at the farm I'm at we didn't use the tractor and I was lifting those muck buckets in by hand. That is so horrible for your back, and soon after I actually hurt myself pretty badly with a back strain. We reworked our plan and use the tractor for all of it now, and even had an addition to the bucket made (so it's taller, but not wider, to fit more manure in at once). I realize though that for 2-5 horses it's an awfully big investment to buy a tractor. Regardless though, you've got to find a more safe way to dump your manure - you'll be sorry otherwise, believe me!

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 28, 2011, 06:37 PM
Just a quick update, as I continue to ponder the wonders of levers & pulleys... (thanks, everyone, for all the suggestions - I feel like I keep saying, "No, I can't do that" and "No that won't work for me", but I *AM* listening... and processing)

Mr. RAR left this morning for 10 days in Vancouver (the bum, although he'll be in meetings most of the time, so that helps take the sting out of it), so I'm officially on DSD (Doody Shifting Duty).

I was able to put 5 of the Bio-Sponge supplement buckets in the manure cart, and I just cleaned the morning/early afternoon poops.

As expected, I ended up with a fair amount of loose pieces in the bottom of the cart. Dumping the buckets themselves was easy. HOWEVER... tipping that cart up to get the loose pieces out was a bit of a strain. I'm thinking that trying to maneuver that particular cart up a ramp would not be an option (I think someone(s) along the line expressed this opinion, and I thought it would not be a problem. Looks like it might be.)

This is the cart I have, and it's a heavy sucker: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=rubbermaid+garden+cart&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=13510724202693788155&sa=X&ei=gtMxToeyEYXWiALI28zDCA&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAQ

Plus we replaced the pneumatic tires with solid rubber, so it's even heavier.

I also have this little guy, which I use for hay, but it would probably only hold 2, possibly 3, of the supplement buckets. There would be many trips to the dumpster:

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_1170000002845733P?isSEOCanonURL=true&catgroupId=1170000002845733P&pageInd=product&i_cntr=1311888460635

For the purposes of transporting the supplement buckets, I think what I need is something more like a little red wagon. Or maybe something like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200414711_200414711

I need non-pneumatic tires, though. Been there, lost that battle. We just have too frickin' many poky things on the ground for pneumatic tires on a DSD vehicle.

And ideally, I need something taller (which I know is going to be less stable, but there will be less bending for me).

Oh, and it should be lightweight ;-)

Risk-Averse Rider
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:36 PM
Well, I made some progress, after discovering just how heavy that Rubbermaid cart was, and how awkward to tip up.

I trundled over to Ace Hardware and checked out their assortment of carts/wagons. They had some nice flatbed wagons that I think would have worked just fine, except they all had pneumatic tires. Not goin' there. (And the flat beds were closer to the ground - more lifting into the dumpster.)

Ace also had an assortment of carts like my big ol' heavy one. Some had non-flat bottoms (to give more volume, maybe?) so those were out. Some had pneumatic tires. And some were too small.

I felt like Goldilocks.

But I found one that seemed okay.

It's much lighter than the Rubbermaid (although clearly not as sturdy, but I'm hoping it will be sturdy enough). The bed is higher off the ground than the Rubbermaid, but the walls are lower - so it's easier to lift something out of it. I think the flat area is about the same, but because the Rubbermaid walls extend farther up & out, it's a little harder to fit 5-6 buckets in the new cart.

But, as you can see from the photo, I can do it. I'm not sure yet if I'm going to stick with 6 buckets, or just use 4. Depends on how often I drag my sorry self out back to clean the pens.

I'm still not sure if it would be possible to push this up a ramp & tip it into the dumpster. Easier than the Rubbermaid, but possibly still not easy enough.

Perhaps when Mr. RAR (aka Doctor Science) comes back from his trip, we can do some brainstorming. Then again, I asked him & my son-in-law (who also has a PhD in physics) to build me some cavaletti once... what they came up with was only slightly less complex than the space shuttle. So he might not be the best source of ideas...