PDA

View Full Version : Update: checked out horse First time for everything - Conf. Critique

Mtn trails
Jul. 22, 2011, 12:01 PM
If I can get this link to work, this is a horse I'm considering as my next eventer. He has some pony club experience so has jumped some. 15.3 hands, 8 years old. I'm going to look at him next week. What do you think?

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee478/eventer2/rhett.jpg
Thanks!

Well, I went and took a look/tried out this horse last night. On the plus side his conformation was much better than I hoped although his neck was a little on the short side. However, on the negative side - he freaks out when tied, is head shy, has so many bad habits under saddle it would take a good year before he'd be ready to go out in public if you could get him over his aversion to tying. Seems someone tried to train it out of him and made it worse. Plus I didn't like his eye, he had a devious look about him. Oh well, the search goes on.

Mtn trails
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:11 PM
He can't be that bad that no one wants to comment is he? Maybe if I were one of the more popular people I'd get a better response. No, that couldn't be it, could it?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
He can't be that bad that no one wants to comment is he? Maybe if I were one of the more popular people I'd get a better response. No, that couldn't be it, could it?

lol just give it time.:D He is very cute. What do you want to do with him?

I love his pretty face. Nothing that I see would stop me from going to look at him and try him out! See how he moves and how you get a long with him.

Mtn trails
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:28 PM
Thanks. I tend to get impatient. What I want to do with him? Since my current horse is limited and will only make it to novice, I want to go training and possibly prelim before I'm too beat up to ride. I'm definitely going next week to see him. According to the owner, he's got a big stride and a great work ethic, real people horse. He was leased for a year to a young girl who did pony club with him but don't think she did any significant size fences (2' I believe) so will be interesting to see how he does. One of the things I personally like about him is he's got some substance and not one of the more slim more finely built TBs (not that there's anything wrong with that). Also, he's going to take my old gelding's place when he can no longer do the job. He's 24 and has mild arthritis and just diagnosed with cushings so his time is coming. :sadsmile:

FoxChaser
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:06 PM
Who cares about conformation? Honestly, if he moves well and has a nice jump, then there you go! He has a lovely neck and kind expression. Definitely worth a look :)

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:18 PM
He's really cute. The hindquarters looks a bit lighter than the front, but I think that might be because the picture is angled. Overall, he looks well put together and sturdy. I really like him.

eventer_mi
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:26 PM
It may be that the picture is rather small, so it's making it harder to critique.

But then, I'm an invisible member of the incredible invisible clique, so I totally understand! From what I can see of the pic, he's cute! What's his breeding?

Mtn trails
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:53 PM
I really don't know his breeding or if he's even registered. I never asked. I should find out I suppose. I thought the hind quarters looked a little light but it might just be the picture.

Okay, just looked at the ad again and his sire is Cobra King and Dam is Splendid Wolf. He's never raced himself. Registered name is Rhett. And he's 11, not 8 like I thought.

Here's his pedigree:
http://www.pedigreequery.com/rhett2

Along with this is that I will be selling my little mustang girl whom I adore. She and I know each other so well and are best buds. How do you do it? I would feel lost not having her cute little face to greet me. We've been through so much together ever since the day I picked her out of the pens in Burns, OR. One side of me says keep her and be content with the lower levels and the other side says, go for it and get the horse to move up with. It's tearing me up.

judybigredpony
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:19 PM
lol just give it time.:D He is very cute. What do you want to do with him?

I love his pretty face. Nothing that I see would stop me from going to look at him and try him out! See how he moves and how you get a long with him.

Same:yes::yes:

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:22 PM
Can you keep two? Or lease her out so you still have her as part of your life? It is really really hard to sell a horse you love. But you do have to decide if you want to ride the horse you have at the levels that are right for them...or move up the levels. There isn't a right or wrong answer. Do remember that if you are careful who you sell to...you may sell her into a great home who will also love her.

As for the new boy...I think his hind end looks fine...if anything it looks a little straight but not bad. I like him. But really--see how he moves and how you get along with him.

mortebella
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
I LOVE his shoulder angle and the way his neck fits his shoulder. LOVE it.

Hind legs look a little straight to me, but it's hard to tell from this photo. I don't see imbalance between hindquarters and shoulder.

kcmel
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:53 PM
I noticed his nice shoulder angle as well. That's because it's in contrast to my guy's :lol:.

He's cute. Keep us updated!

NRB
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:15 PM
fwiw my mother has a 31yo gray TB in her barn now with Princequillo in his lines, came off the track at 9yo sound as a dollar, stayed sound his whole life. Princequillo " He had the unique ability to correct almost any leg or soundness problem in the mares he bred."

Anyway I'm no conformation guru, your pic is small and could be odd angle to see the rear. I like his shoulder, neck and whithers. looks like good amount of bone in the leg. And looks Not downhill, ie the stifle is not high above the elbow, the hock isn't way high in relation to the knee. He looks big bodied, but that could be the photo angle as well. Do love that shoulder, I'd def go check him out in person see if you connect with him.

VicariousRider
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:30 PM
I think that the feedback you've gotten is spot on. He's quite attractive with that nice head/neck and sloping shoulder.

Be sure that you confirm that he really has the ability or potential to do the job you want him to do. While most reasonably athletic horses can run training, IME, it also requires the right mind and soundness. Since you are possibly selling your beloved friend for this gelding make sure that he's capable. Being 11 and having done "some" pony club and jumping (very small jumps, at that) I would not assume that he will be a natural for training/prelim. Maybe he will but just make sure.

Also: Post pictures from your visit with him for better feedback. A small, fuzzy picture like that is hard to critique and people can only give limited feedback. Try to get a few pictures when you go to see him (some criteria for good confo shots available here (http://www.horsegears.com/conformationphotos.html)) and then update this thread. You could upload a video, too.

Good luck! Hope he's great!!

Mtn trails
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:48 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I just got back from a weekend of trail riding in the mountains so have been out of the loop. My trainer is on his way back from Rebecca (yay Rabenschwartz for your 3rd place!) so hopefully will be recovered enough to come with me on Tuesday. If not, I'll go myself and check him out. I'll take some pictures and post them so we can all see what's what.

I've thought about leasing and that's a possibility. I would be very careful who she would go to if I sell or lease, I want the best possible home for her (of course). The thing is is that ever since I was a little girl I wanted to adopt a mustang; and I have and it was the most rewarding experience in my life to see her go from untrusting and suspicious to a true partner. We'll see. My husband and I are suffering the effects of the recession like everyone and having 4 horses would be a little much. My husband is looking for his next horse so there's that, I have my aged gelding who has a permanent home with me, Zephyr the mustang, and if I bring a new horse home, that would be more than we want.

This gelding has got to be something special to make me give up Zephyr. Thanks again.

Mtn trails
Jul. 27, 2011, 12:59 PM
bumping this up.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 27, 2011, 01:34 PM
That's too bad :-( Good luck with your search, the right one will come along at some point!