PDA

View Full Version : anyone know whats up with Udona?

equinedriver
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:11 PM
I just realized I haven't heard anything about her for several months? Did they pack it in quit eventing or what's up? Loved her.

deltawave
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:19 PM
Why would you assume they've "packed it in and quit eventing"? I haven't done anything on the back of a horse for several months, either. Doesn't mean I've packed it in and quit. It means time and injury have gotten in my way. There are 101 reasons why you might not have heard anything. I sincerely doubt they've "quit". :)

Xctrygirl
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:37 PM
There was an articlew about her in PH last month.

Will be doing some competitions in Europe and aiming for the CCI in ((Someone help me with the damn country name)) around eastern europe.

~Emily

vineyridge
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
The big one is in Poland, I think. And I cannot come anywhere near spelling it.

vineyridge
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:48 PM
Poland and The Czech Republic both have top quality events. In The Czech Republic, the big summer Horse Trials is at Pardubice, the same place as the Velka steeplechase.

scubed
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
Strzegom (in Poland) already happened this summer, but on the calendar:

Jul 26-31 JASZKOWO POL CH-EU-P-C**
Jul 29-31 PARDUBICE CZE CCI**,CCI***,CIC*
Aug 12-14 SOPOT POL CIC*, CIC**, CIC***
Aug 17-21 MINSK BLR CIC*, CIC**,CCI***
Sep 17-18 MOTESICE SVK CIC*
Sep 23-25 KAPCHAGAY KAZ CIC***,CCI*

NeverTime
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:21 PM
I believe she's aimed now for Hartpury CCI**.

babecakes
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:21 AM
Why would you assume they've "packed it in and quit eventing"? I haven't done anything on the back of a horse for several months, either. Doesn't mean I've packed it in and quit. It means time and injury have gotten in my way. There are 101 reasons why you might not have heard anything. I sincerely doubt they've "quit". :)

I thought that this was pretty snarky, esp considering that you didn't even know the real answer to the question.

I thought that the OP's questioning was merely a generic ponder. Not much to take that kind of offense at. It is a timely good question and thanks to those who knew the answer.

equinedriver
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:55 AM

No snarky intent at all. Just thought since I hadn't seen them listed anywhere for months and I knew they had a pretty mapped out plan when they started that maybe they had decided against the eventing after all and gone in a different direction............

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:13 AM
Jeez, the mattress police are out in force today! Generally a smiley is used to soften the tone of a post, hence the addition of one on mine. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

you didn't even know the real answer to the question

I never posted with the intention of providing a "real" answer, since only the horse's owner and rider could possibly know that. [emoticon purposely not used here]

And generally a rolleyes is used to indicate mild annoyance. :D And a grin is used to soften THAT.

Lighten up, yo. :) :D :p

babecakes
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:32 PM
It must be the heat .... ??? look at the other Udona post. I'd put an LOL smilie up -- but I don't think that it's funny.

I never posted with the intention of providing a "real" answer

obviously, you posted just to put up your comment that is a bit of a dig at the OP. Reread the tone and the "" ""s. Was it necessary? Did it add value to the thread?

Restate, the OP asked a decent question and a few here provided answers. period.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:37 PM

Lynn,

For what its worth, I personally didn't think your comment was snarky.

But then.... what do I know? ;) (Clearly my "snark meter" is broken. Ahh but thankfully by BS meter works just fine. :D)

~Emily

deltawave
Jul. 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
obviously, you posted just to put up your comment that is a bit of a dig at the OP. Reread the tone and the "" ""s. Was it necessary? Did it add value to the thread?

Incorrect! My dig was at the person who would presume that anyone who provided less than a real answer [quotes intentionally not used] had no business chiming in. (parenthetically, and in parentheses, I have always thought that one proper use of "quotation marks" was to indicate that one is referencing A QUOTATION.) Read the OP. A quotation was referenced. :p

The value of my participation in COTH varies. Sometimes my flight of ideas and/or personal entertainment is reason enough, and therefore valuable to me. :D Sometimes I participate to be helpful, other times I am simply running my . . . fingers.

My answers may not be decent by your standards, but at least they're not indecent. I am in a good mood, so I won't be tempted, either. :p

GotSpots
Jul. 22, 2011, 02:15 PM
My answers may not be decent by your standards, but at least they're not indecent. I am in a good mood, so I won't be tempted, either. :p
And just when a little indecency might have upped the entertainment quotient on a very hot sticky Friday afternoon, too.

tle
Jul. 22, 2011, 02:50 PM
Lynn? Indecent? NEVER!

:lol:

jennifersw
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:02 PM
If you are talking about Marilyn Little' s Udonna, she' s in Europe. She did not complete her first event at Holzerode (Germany); they had a beautiful warm- up before dressage only to get t- boned by the horse in the ring before them, who went nuts and bolted out of the ring, colliding with Udonna where she was standing and knocking her down.

As she was the last to compete, there was no time for the judges to let her calm down and re- group...she went in and had a less than stellar test, and eventually withdrew from competition, though she WAS determined sound by vets following the incident.

There. All news, all facts, and no snark. The rest of you need to RELAX!

Xctrygirl
Jul. 22, 2011, 03:50 PM
Wow..... Jennifer isn't kidding.

http://www.reitverein-holzerode.de/Ergebnisse_CIC/CIC_2.pdf

That's a huge score. Hope the mare's ok.

PS: Anyone familiar with German events?? What's the difference between a Head number and a Back number?

Curious b/c Udonna didn't have the highest head number, but I am guessing that the numbers there are more to do with the entries and not the order. Anyone more familiar than me with respect to the German system???

~Emily

Lord Helpus
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:30 PM
Wow. A horse getting knocked down by another horse -- She must have really been body slammed!

Best wishes to Team Udonna and condolences for the incident. It must have been incredibly frustrating, especially since Udonna's dressage scores had been getting better from one event to the next.

I hope the mare is not traumitized about warm up rings in general.

JER
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:40 PM
How interesting that a horse can get knocked down by another horse and then go on to compete.

Does this mean that a fall of horse isn't always a fall of horse?

I assume this is an exceedingly rare situation. In what other circumstances can a horse fall while under saddle and still continue in competition?

(Not blaming anyone or pointing fingers, I just never thought of this before and, as always, I'm curious. :))

scubed
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:31 PM
Fall not in association with jumping, say slipping and falling not mr. Just like riders can fall off in warmup or on xc not while negotiating a fence and not rf/elimination

GingerJumper
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:26 AM
Incorrect! My dig was at the person who would presume that anyone who provided less than a real answer [quotes intentionally not used] had no business chiming in. (parenthetically, and in parentheses, I have always thought that one proper use of "quotation marks" was to indicate that one is referencing A QUOTATION.) Read the OP. A quotation was referenced. :p

The value of my participation in COTH varies. Sometimes my flight of ideas and/or personal entertainment is reason enough, and therefore valuable to me. :D Sometimes I participate to be helpful, other times I am simply running my . . . fingers.

That last part cracks me up... obviously, I'm no good judge of "politeness" and "value to a thread" but I did find your original comment to be amusing.

Zephyr
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:50 PM
Was just wondering the same after reading the Practical article about them. They competed just about every weekend through March, then there has been nothing on their USEA record since.

curlykarot
Jul. 26, 2011, 10:10 AM
The Equiery just posted a blog post from her. Sounds like she has been in Europe for a while: http://equiery.com/sporting/jumpers/

netg
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:51 PM
Wow. A horse getting knocked down by another horse -- She must have really been body slammed!

Best wishes to Team Udonna and condolences for the incident. It must have been incredibly frustrating, especially since Udonna's dressage scores had been getting better from one event to the next.

I hope the mare is not traumitized about warm up rings in general.

My horse was t-boned by a horse in warmup for stadium (which stewards and spectators agreed was the other horse's rider's fault and my horse's rider had no way to avoid it) and the other horse ended up falling down. This was before I got him. It most definitely traumatized him about warm up rings, and despite riding in a crowd at boarding stables, he still gets extremely tense in warmups when I've been told he used to be unconcerned about them.

If she fell prior to her test it shouldn't have ended in an elimination regardless, should it? I know of people who have fallen off in warmups where there was a fault with the partnership and gone on to compete, so I don't understand why that would be an issue. I hope Udonna recovers well physically and mentally. No fun for them.