PDA

View Full Version : What to wear when jackets are waived?

Forte
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:32 PM
I am competing at and Equine Canada "Gold" show this weekend, and given the extreme heat wave that we are experiencing in Ontario, I suspect that jackets will be waived. When jackets are waived, what is the correct shirt to wear. I have both short sleeved and sleeveless show shirts in a technical fabric with a zippered neck. Would these be acceptable? Do I still wear my stock tie and white gloves?

Action42
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
I would wear the short sleeved shirt, no stock tie and black or white gloves. Usually no sleeveless shirts for shows down here.

countrygal
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:35 PM
Definitely no on sleeveless. Short sleeves are fine. No stock tie, but yes on the gloves. Wear the zipper part-way down like an open collar. You can wear a vest (like the Cool Medics ones). Colors need to be solid and conservative :)

mjhco
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:41 PM
Equine Canada:

ARTICLE E 4.1.7 EXTREME OR INCLEMENT WEATHER CONDITIONS
In the case of inclement weather, competitors may wear a suitable
protective hat cover and a warm or waterproof overcoat that is transparent
or conservative in colour.
In extreme heat or humidity, the steward may permit competitors to ride
without jackets. When such permission is given, the steward must inform
the judges In such a case, competitors must wear:
 ASTM/SEI or BSI approved protective headgear bowler, hunt cap,
top hat.See E4.0 for appropriate headgear rule.
 Solid white, off-white or pale pastel coloured, long or short sleeve
shirt with a collar
 Sleeveless shirts are not permitted
 Shirt collar may be opened
 Stock ties must be removed unless pinned to the rider’s shirt
 T-shirts are not permitted

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:51 PM
It's important to know - if Canada is like the US, you will get eliminated if you try to wear the stock tie (apparently unless it's pinned to your shirt).

My trainer chooses to wear her coat even when they're waived, and puts it on right before entering the ring. I had a very nice TD come up while I was watching her warm up and ask if I knew her and if she was wearing her coat to compete, as it was against the rules to wear the stock tie without it. I had known you shouldn't, but that was the first I realized it's actually against the rules.

Spectrum
Jul. 21, 2011, 04:12 PM
Also, for goodness sake, PLEASE wear a black belt AND tuck in your shirt.

There were a bunch of people at the show last weekend with their Coolmax shirts untucked (perhaps due to not having belts), and let's just say there is nothing more distracting while watching a test than wondering if someone's belly is about to make an obviously uninvited appearance.

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 21, 2011, 06:15 PM
And please, WEAR A WHITE BRA!

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
And please, WEAR A WHITE BRA!

Better yet, a skin toned bra, as white bras show more than some colors.

Pale pink even works better than white for me.

cada931
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:11 PM
My mother always said beige bras under white...

Carol O
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:47 PM
My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived. If you choose to go with the jacket, bras, regardless of color, are optional, IMO.

schneidepc
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:48 PM
And I was told by a judge last year that my shirt collar had to be open. I had taken the stock tie off but still had the shirt zipped up. She told me the collar had to be open.

SillyHorse
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:25 AM
My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived.
This is mind boggling.

ArabDiva
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:19 AM
If you choose to go with the jacket, bras, regardless of color, are optional, IMO.

Whaaaat?
Bras are never optional, jacket or no jacket.
THere's a girl (in her 20's) on my show circuit who doesn't wear one. And takes her jacket off in the warmup. I am sorry but NOBODY around needs or wants to see her bizniss flapping in the wind (especially when her sweat-soaked shirt is pretty much see-through.) And we're talking reasonably substantial boobies too, not little A's or AA's. I really want to take her aside and explain that if she doesn't want them sagging to down around her knees in about 10 years, she really should give them the proper support they deserve.

netg
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:45 AM
My trainer requires jackets, even if they are waived.

This is mind boggling.

I don't get why it is. Especially if you only put it on just before entering the ring. No judge will intentionally say "oh, she's not wearing a jacket because they were waived; what an unprofessional wimp." However, a judge may have an unintended natural reaction which says "this person looks so polished!" that adds a natural positive tendency toward thoughts on the horse/rider in the ring. Trained as they may be, judges are still human, and the polish helps them mentally accept you as competent.

That said, I don't wear my jacket if jackets are waived.

high hat
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:53 AM
My mother always said beige bras under white...

Your mother was correct. Better yet a beige bra or nude that is close to your skin tone.

This also goes for underwear. Let's not even get into the commando option. :)

MontanaDun
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:48 AM
I have scribed a lot in the MD heat and I can tell you that an overheated competitor with a beet red face in a jacket doesn't arouse any admiration in the judges. They are worried that the competitor is going have a heat stroke and collapse.

TheHorseProblem
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:58 AM
Whaaaat?
THere's a girl (in her 20's) on my show circuit who doesn't wear one. And takes her jacket off in the warmup. I am sorry but NOBODY around needs or wants to see her bizniss flapping in the wind (especially when her sweat-soaked shirt is pretty much see-through.) And we're talking reasonably substantial boobies too, not little A's or AA's. I really want to take her aside and explain that if she doesn't want them sagging to down around her knees in about 10 years, she really should give them the proper support they deserve.

Maybe she knows they will never sag:

http://tinyurl.com/3tbswb7

I stand corrected on the bra color. I meant not to forget and wear a black one, as I did once (not at a show, just hacking around the barn, but it was funny.)

Eggplant_Dressing
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:11 PM
I got disoriented in the 95 degree, high humidity heat once and lost track of the test during a show. Thank goodness there are clothing options. I just bought a super thin short-sleeve at the last dressage show.

Take advantage of the rule; it was embarrassing to both my trainer and I that I got off-course since the trainer was calling the test! Good news is I still won a blue ribbon but the points off hurt.

With temps near 100 this weekend, I opted out of showing but will go watch a local show this weekend...they are starting tests at 6:45am!

SillyHorse
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:30 PM
I don't get why it is. Especially if you only put it on just before entering the ring. No judge will intentionally say "oh, she's not wearing a jacket because they were waived; what an unprofessional wimp." However, a judge may have an unintended natural reaction which says "this person looks so polished!" that adds a natural positive tendency toward thoughts on the horse/rider in the ring. Trained as they may be, judges are still human, and the polish helps them mentally accept you as competent.

That said, I don't wear my jacket if jackets are waived.
We have had more than one judge on this board state that people are foolish if they don't remove their jackets when the temperature is high enough for them to be waived.

Gloria
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:39 PM
EVerytime when I see a rider wearing a jacket when it is waived, I kind of wonder whether that rider has some sort of self esteem issue - you know, needing that extra uniform like an armor to convince themselves that they belong in the show ring... I might be dead wrong but that thought corsses my mind more than once.

Honestly if a judge will score me lower just because I'm not wearing a jacket, that judge's opinion isn't worth a squad to me.

Velvet
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:40 PM
A bit off topic, I just wanted to say that I never have understood why someone added the rule that you had to wear sleeves of some sort on the shirt. Back in the OLD days, people would wear sleeveless shirts and I don't see why that suddenly became outre. Just weird. Why did they ever have to write that rule in? What judge was offended by people going sleeveless?

eventer_mi
Jul. 22, 2011, 05:52 PM
EVerytime when I see a rider wearing a jacket when it is waived, I kind of wonder whether that rider has some sort of self esteem issue - you know, needing that extra uniform like an armor to convince themselves that they belong in the show ring... I might be dead wrong but that thought corsses my mind more than once.

Honestly if a judge will score me lower just because I'm not wearing a jacket, that judge's opinion isn't worth a squad to me.

Yes, it's a self-esteem issue - some of us who are, ahem, blessed with a little extra baggage freak out when we see ourselves in pictures looking like the Michelin Man. The jacket is quite slimming. Of course, if I'm going to pass out, the jacket comes off and I just don't visit the photo booth.

Gloria
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:07 PM
Yes, it's a self-esteem issue - some of us who are, ahem, blessed with a little extra baggage freak out when we see ourselves in pictures looking like the Michelin Man. The jacket is quite slimming. Of course, if I'm going to pass out, the jacket comes off and I just don't visit the photo booth.

Touchy aren't you? My post had nothing to do with weight or any of that sort and it actually never crossed my mind that weight has anything to do with a jacket. Do you have to make it a weight issue? geesh. For one thing I have never seen anyone who looks like Michelin Man to not look like one with a jacket, or vice versa. I have, however, seen plenty of lady who packs extra pounds to look just as decent without a jacket as with one.

Honestly your weight is your own thing. Most people are too busy to be concerned about it.

The self-esteem thing has everything to do with whether they believe they belong there, nothing to do with weight.

INoMrEd
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:55 PM
Whaaaat?

If she has implants I don't think they will ever sag. I'm from California can you tell???

netg
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:09 PM
We have had more than one judge on this board state that people are foolish if they don't remove their jackets when the temperature is high enough for them to be waived.

And yet I know of more than one judge who has made positive comments on a test about turnout for riders who chose to wear jackets when they were waived.

I've shown in 110+ degree temperatures in hunt coats or western coats over long-sleeved shirts, non-ventilated black fur hats, leather chaps... and never passed out or turned bright red from the effort.

I *choose* to not wear a jacket when they are waived. However, I believe appearance is important and if an individual is able to wear their jacket without being unduly affected by the heat, I see no reason to belittle them or claim they are insecure. I absolutely feel the jackets give a neater, cleaner appearance assuming the rider is not beet red or addled from the heat as some have implied all riders wearing jackets would be, yet still personally choose not to wear one. That certainly doesn't mean someone who does is lesser than me or should be shamed for it.

Forte
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:25 PM
Well today was the first day of the show and jackets were waived all day. As the day progressed and the temperatures rose, I saw more and more riders go sans jackets. By mid-day I would say that more than 50% of riders went without jackets. I decided to be hardcore and wear my jacket anyways. I was sweltering, but I don't think it affected my performance. We did quite well winning one class and placing second in the other (just .5% off of the winner). I don't know if the jacket made any difference to the judges impression of us, but I think I felt better wearing it (and no, I don't have weight or self esteem issues)

ArabDiva
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:00 PM

And if I do, what does it really matter to anyone else but me?
Everyone has their own little show quirks and rituals that help calm the nerves. Some people have lucky underwear or a favorite pair of spurs, while I happen to feel like a million bucks in my jacket and unless I'm starting to feel woozy from the heat, I tend to keep it on. The white britches/white shirt look just doesn't do it for me. Of course, I grew up in the arabian saddleseat world, where you wear a 3-piece wool suit with necktie, and jackets are never waived.

ArabDiva
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:02 PM
Maybe she knows they will never sag:

http://tinyurl.com/3tbswb7

I stand corrected on the bra color. I meant not to forget and wear a black one, as I did once (not at a show, just hacking around the barn, but it was funny.)

OWWWWW MY EYES

that was mean.

GingerJumper
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:08 PM
OWWWWW MY EYES

that was mean.

HAHAHAHA agreed!

Back on topic now...

Conservatively colored breeches (tan or white), spit polished boots, a black belt, white short sleeved shirt tucked in (unzip it a little, like as far down as the top two being unbuttoned on a polo), and NO NECK WEAR. If you're got one, the finishing touch would be a cute, flattering vest in a conservative color.

Boomer
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:57 AM
If she has implants I don't think they will ever sag. I'm from California can you tell???

Haha, I'm from Cali too mine are "..real and they're spectacular" :D ;) gotta love Seinfeld.

Anywho.. I used to be really happy not to wear a jacket until I got video back from a show when I didn't wear the coat. Dispite 2 bras, there was more moveage than I thought... so I put the coat on right before I go in the ring.

Would LOVE to be able to wear a nice vest instead. Is that legal?

eventer_mi
Jul. 24, 2011, 05:26 PM
Touchy aren't you? My post had nothing to do with weight or any of that sort and it actually never crossed my mind that weight has anything to do with a jacket. Do you have to make it a weight issue? geesh. For one thing I have never seen anyone who looks like Michelin Man to not look like one with a jacket, or vice versa. I have, however, seen plenty of lady who packs extra pounds to look just as decent without a jacket as with one.

Honestly your weight is your own thing. Most people are too busy to be concerned about it.

The self-esteem thing has everything to do with whether they believe they belong there, nothing to do with weight.

Gloria, I apologize if you've taken offense - the previous post was meant totally tongue-in-cheek. I probably should have loaded my post with smilies! No offense meant at all. That's why I added the bit about not visiting the photo booth. :lol:

Carol O
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:36 PM
Haha, I'm from Cali too mine are "..real and they're spectacular" :D ;) gotta love Seinfeld.

Anywho.. I used to be really happy not to wear a jacket until I got video back from a show when I didn't wear the coat. Dispite 2 bras, there was more moveage than I thought... so I put the coat on right before I go in the ring.

Would LOVE to be able to wear a nice vest instead. Is that legal?

Again, Don the coat after removing the bra (or bras... really? Plural????).

I am just lucky, I guess... Yes, I've lived in CA, where I learned to go braless at shows; where I always wore a jacket in Clovis when it was 110- 114 degrees.

randomequine
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:01 AM
Again, Don the coat after removing the bra (or bras... really? Plural????).

I am just lucky, I guess... Yes, I've lived in CA, where I learned to go braless at shows; where I always wore a jacket in Clovis when it was 110- 114 degrees.

Oy.....are you serious? Or is this tongue-in-cheek? Because all 'looks' aside, riding without a bra for my 38DDD chest would HURT LIKE HECK! I don't even like walking around the house without some sort of support!

Boomer
Jul. 25, 2011, 07:14 AM
Oy.....are you serious? Or is this tongue-in-cheek? Because all 'looks' aside, riding without a bra for my 38DDD chest would HURT LIKE HECK! I don't even like walking around the house without some sort of support!

I do wear two sports bras- a moving comfort with champion over it. I'm 38D and can't imagine riding braless unless I wanted black eyes from the bounceage.
I was really surprised when I sAw the video... Maybe I'm just over sensitive to it.

Carol O
Jul. 25, 2011, 01:51 PM

No, I am not really being serious, but I am blessed with less; always a big problem when buying a bathing suit, but a great "problem" to have at summer horse shows...

I have a friend who fainted at a hot, humid summer show. She was wearing three, yes, three bras at the time.

Rhiannonjk
Jul. 25, 2011, 02:26 PM
Pshaw. It's not hard-core until you've reinforced a bra with duct tape (I did this once, over a tank top, when I got to a show and realized that my jacket fit a litle bit more snug than the last time I had it on).

oldernewbie
Jul. 25, 2011, 04:43 PM
For all you two and three bra wearers, check out my favorite bra site and their 5 barbell will not bounce bra:

http://www.titlenine.com/product/sports-bras-and-undies/medium-high-impact-sports-bras/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks

They have others as well, but this is apparently the primo supreme sports bra.

Tiki
Jul. 25, 2011, 06:18 PM
When coats are waived, you are supposed to wear a short or long-sleeved coat with a collar and no tie. The zip up shirts need to be unzipped and folded down to look like a collar.

Pely
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:11 AM
The sleeve rule came into effect when well-endowed ladies started coming into the ring with tank tops, and a stock tie. Believe me when I say that look was, uhm, not very attractive.

2 sports bras--YES. Wearing a good bra can really help the rider with postures, and will make a huge difference in your ability to sit the trot properly, even if you are small.

Try it, you will feel the difference (or most of you will).

Tasker
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:12 AM
Bumping this up as I am showing this weekend and am curious - are polo shirts (nice, fitted, clean) legal? Or does it need to be a button down/hunter style shirt?

It a typical July weekend here in PA and while I'll probably opt for the last minute addition of a coat, perhaps in the future...

Pely
Jul. 29, 2011, 07:16 AM
I have seen quite a few polo shirts in the ring. It's a nice look.

Tasker
Jul. 29, 2011, 12:53 PM
Do the shirts have to be white?

Rooty
Jul. 29, 2011, 02:23 PM
Good to know about the stock tie. I will generally not wear my coat when they are waived, and I have always worn my stock tie. Lucky I pinned it!
Last show they excused jackets all day the last two days. Saturday I wore it anyway as I rode at 9am and didn't figure it would kill me, but Sunday I didn't even take it out of the car. I don't have help so I either have to warm up in it or not wear it at all. I have a friend who wears hers even in the warm-up as she can't stand putting it on once she is sweaty.

SillyHorse
Jul. 29, 2011, 08:25 PM
Do the shirts have to be white?

Good to know about the stock tie. I will generally not wear my coat when they are waived, and I have always worn my stock tie. Lucky I pinned it!
Lucky you didn't get eliminated.

Here is a link to the rules:

http://usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2011/08-DR.pdf

and here's the rule regarding waived jackets:

7. In extreme heat and/or humidity in all classes including FEI classes at National Competitions,management can allow competitors to show without jackets. However, competitors must wear a regulation hat and solid or nearly solid colored long or short sleeved shirt with collar, without neckwear, and without decoration except as described under .12 below.

slp2
Jul. 31, 2011, 09:53 PM
I keep a white Ariat polo shirt in my trailer to use when they waive jackets. I also use tan breeches because I don't really like the look of white breeches paired with a white shirt. I do tuck in the polo and use a belt. I am an eventer, but I have also worn the tan breeches at dressage shows with no comments about them being unacceptable.

tm
Aug. 1, 2011, 12:34 AM
For those of you who would like a more tailored look in hot weather, please remember that vests (cooling or not) are now approved attire:

13. Cooling vests may be worn underneath a riding jacket. If coats are waived, a solid-colored cooling or lightweight vest may be worn over a riding shirt as specified in DR120.7.

poltroon
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:14 AM
I think a dark polo works better with the white breeches. Technically, the dark color appears to be legal, but I'm not sure I have the guts to test it since everyone assumes only white is legal.

But for schooling shows, that's what I choose. I appreciate only having to worry about dirt on half of me as well.

DutchDressageQueen
Aug. 1, 2011, 07:32 AM
I think a dark polo works better with the white breeches. Technically, the dark color appears to be legal, but I'm not sure I have the guts to test it since everyone assumes only white is legal.

But for schooling shows, that's what I choose. I appreciate only having to worry about dirt on half of me as well.

at the NAJYRC this year, they were not allowed to wear jackets and there were some who wore navy blue polo shirts.

tm
Aug. 1, 2011, 09:57 AM
I have seen every possible color shirt when jackets are waived: everything from pink to daisy yellow to royal blue to black. Visually, I like a color much better than a white shirt over white breeches.

Also remember that the fit of the shirt becomes quite important when jackets are waived: if you have a shirt that "balloons" out in back, it will not present as clean a line as if you have one that really fits in the torso.

paintlady
Aug. 1, 2011, 10:13 AM
My "hot weather wear" is a black Kerrits ventilator shirt, zipped down to appear like it has a collar, paired with cream colored breeches and a black belt. I don't like the look of white shirts with white breeches when jackets are waived.