PDA

View Full Version : Don`t miss Gen. Burton`s interview in USEA

denny
Jul. 21, 2011, 06:58 AM
Gen Burton talks about where the sport is, and where he`d like to see it go. Very interesting. Can someone more savvy than I paste it here? It`s in today`s Eventing Nation.

Jul. 21, 2011, 08:49 AM
http://useventing.com/blog/?p=18353

NeverTime
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nice interview. I wish there was room for more detail on his thoughts about long vs. short format.
(Just to give credit where credit is due, the interview actually was conducted by a USEA writer and posted on the USEA blog, but kindly linked to from EN. :) )

denny
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:28 AM
Maybe Area One is a less wealthy section of the US than some other areas, but I`ve heard lots of people saying the same thing Gen Burton said, that the sport is getting too expensive for many people.

On the other hand, we have some riders flying their horses all over the world to compete, so the expense problem isn`t hitting evenly across the board.

llevent
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:07 PM
Maybe Area One is a less wealthy section of the US than some other areas, but I`ve heard lots of people saying the same thing Gen Burton said, that the sport is getting too expensive for many people.

On the other hand, we have some riders flying their horses all over the world to compete, so the expense problem isn`t hitting evenly across the board.

Agreed. As a college student trying to afford lessons alone is tough, not to mention dropping $500+ for an event. Eventing needs bigger sponsors. I'm talking like Nike or Adidas big. They would either bring in prize money or help lessen the cost for event organizers, therefore either making it cheaper for competitors or rewarding them more. Changes in our sport need to be made, i.e getting more modern like other sports (esp attire-wise) to draw in big companies like that. call me crazy and a non-traditionalist but it is the only way things will change

goodmorning
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:36 PM

I hardly think Area 1 is less wealthy. Honestly, quite the opposite. It's so darn expensive to do anything in New England - trainers/farriers/vets/gas/feed/board - that it can be quite intimidating. Not to mention some of the other Area's seem to require much less 'travel time' when competing...making the 3.5hr trek up to VT where a lot of the competitions are held isn't exactly competitor friendly. I love living in New England, but it is an expensive place to live, and therefore expensive to own & compete horses.

Know several people with young horses that send them to FL or 'south' because they can get quality training & miles for much less than up here. Seriously contemplating doing this with my youngster, and I have the luxury of not paying board.

GotSpots
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:43 PM
This is an interview with USEA, not Eventing Nation. Denny - can you correct your title please?

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:01 PM
Not to mention some of the other Area's seem to require much less 'travel time' when competing...making the 3.5hr trek up to VT where a lot of the competitions are held isn't exactly competitor friendly. I love living in New England, but it is an expensive place to live, and therefore expensive to own & compete horses.

Some - maybe Florida and Virginia?

In CA, just to get to the other side of LA can take that long, much less to an event. Our "close" event in Tucson is about an hour and a half away, most events are 6+ hours away. Of course, we have the benefit of much lower costs here than New England - I definitely remember those from living up there! I was just amazed how close everything was, as we took horses to Maine, Vermont, other areas of NH, and upstate NY.

Major pet peeves in the article: the huge demotion calling him Major Burton. Downgraded from an O-8 to O-4?

The insults to his status aside, I really appreciated reading the interview. Thanks for the link!

Also, I have no idea his religious inclinations, but I'm pretty sure he was in the Cavalry. Did he spend time in Jerusalem? Perhaps, but I don't think it's relevant to his horse career.

(I do think it's an editing error, NOT with the author. As I am also guessing her name is not spelled Veccchiarelli.)

flutie1
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
" ... I'm pretty sure he was in the Cavalry"

Thanks. I couldn't get past that!

cvecchia
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for reading. Corrections made :)

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:14 PM
Thanks for reading. Corrections made :)

Including the spelling of your name, thankfully! :)

Thanks for the interview!