PDA

View Full Version : Info on riding (as a very amateur) in the Netherlands

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:36 AM
I found out today there's a chance I will get the option to go to The Netherlands (specifically, The Hague) for somewhere 10-18 months on temporary assignment for work.

My understanding is that our employees there typically work shorter days than in the US, so given I ride every day here, I would hope to be able to do so there, too. However, I know absolutely nothing about what riding is like there for someone like me: very amateur, lots of horse experience, limited dressage experience, interested in taking my own horse, but also hoping I could get some lessons on other horses. My funding is limited, and as I'd be there for a full time job, obviously no working student position or anything like that.

I have no idea how things would work, and horsebackriding options are part of what would be involved in my decision whether or not to go. How things would work as far as the dollar being weak, having a house in this country already, etc., would also be important, and I don't know any of that yet. It's a mere slight possibility, which intrigued me mainly for the horse adventure possibilities of it all.

So anyone have info, whether you want to post it here or PM me?

Thanks in advance!

Libera
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:46 AM
There are lots of places to ride in Holland, it's riddled with ridingschools!
You usually have a choice between several, some have nicer horses than others. Just google "manege" in "den haag" it should come up with something.
Also, a lot of people halflease their horses, it's called a "bijrijder". If you need help finding something let me know :)

AlterBy
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
Lucky you!
You must go visit Amsterdam as well! I went riding in their Hollandsche manege!http://www.dehollandschemanege.nl/ (it is nothing like the real spanish manege in vienna and most of the lessons in this arena are pony lessons but it is worth to go have a look, it is in the middle of the city!)

There is a LOT of place to go riding ( and horse shopping!)
Google 'ruitersport', 'Den Haag' and 'paard'.
http://www.denhaag.nl/en/residents/to/Equestrian-sports.htm

I wish I could go back, I'm in desperate need of Euro star saddle pads and breeches...

Libera
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:13 AM
Smartpak sells Eurostar pads :D

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info! Please keep it coming!

I would consider taking my horse with me (depending how hard it is to move a horse that direction) - I would get some relocation amount, and might try to negotiate moving myself to get work to move my horse both directions if the possibility were to become a reality. While I know that there are obviously nice horses to shop for there... I already have one who is only limited by my riding, so don't exactly need to find something fancier! That said, I would love to ride additional horses, too, and wouldn't mind if I had a second horse to bring home - the timing would match when I would like to have a green horse.

ETA: I realize it would probably be less expensive to keep my horse in training here and ride other horses there than ship him! It's just a thought to see if it could work out.

alto
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:07 PM
By the time it's all said & done, expect ~10K horse transport each direction.

netg
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:10 PM
By the time it's all said & done, expect ~10K horse transport each direction.

I was expecting that plus shipping from AZ to JFK. So it would depend what kind of relocation help I could get from work - not the most financially prudent decision regardless, but could be a good investment in our future!

jcotton
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:41 PM
If you were to take your horse to the Netherlands with you, you can ship from Houston to Amsterdam on KLM. Quarantine in Oklahoma at Nedpoint.(www.nedpoint.com) There are other places, in OK & TX, that are set up for quarantine but I don't know their names.

Ldbgcoleman
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:02 PM
Check out Ron Smeets. He comes to the US several times per year to teach clinics. I know a working student who went over and worked for him and someone who went over for a couple of months. He helped her find a really nice horse. He works with all levels. Coincidentally he's in Atlanta right now and I'm going to watch him teach tomorrow. I have ridden with him several times:) you can google him

DutchDressageQueen
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:06 PM
I can tell you, you will not have to worry about finding a place to ride! there are lots and lots of riding schools ( manege)

netg
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:11 PM
Check out Ron Smeets. He comes to the US several times per year to teach clinics. I know a working student who went over and worked for him and someone who went over for a couple of months. He helped her find a really nice horse. He works with all levels. Coincidentally he's in Atlanta right now and I'm going to watch him teach tomorrow. I have ridden with him several times:) you can google him

It looks like he's around 2.5 hours away - but if I don't get good suggestions, I will probably contact him for recommendations in the area. Thanks!

Thank you everyone who has given suggestions/information - it's all very much appreciated!

Casablanca
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
It looks like he's around 2.5 hours away - but if I don't get good suggestions, I will probably contact him for recommendations in the area. Thanks!

Thank you everyone who has given suggestions/information - it's all very much appreciated!

Who is Ron Smeets ?

netg
Jul. 26, 2011, 12:55 PM
Who is Ron Smeets ?

Read the post before the one you quoted, maybe?

hrsmstr
Jul. 27, 2011, 06:22 PM
netg, TAKE ME WITH YOU. I'll be your groom, polish your boots, whatever....;-)

netg
Jul. 28, 2011, 02:24 PM
netg, TAKE ME WITH YOU. I'll be your groom, polish your boots, whatever....;-)

Ha!

I haven't heard anything more about the position, so don't know if it was filled elsewhere or what... But I'm sure a working student position somewhere would allow that plus more possible horse riding. ;)

We'll see if anything else happens... It would be pretty awesome if it does happen, and even if this doesn't, management knowing I am willing to temporarily relocate puts me in their minds for future opportunities.