PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo help

ClassAction
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:06 PM
I just bought a lovely Tb several years off the track. I'm very interested in finding out his racing history, pedigree etc but can't seem to find him in the lookup! He's a gray gelding, cowlick right in the middle, just above the eyes.

Here are two angles of his tattoo. http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v650/intelligentopus/Toby/ E-2-5-2-?-?

Four horses come up with that combination, grey/roan and gelding. But....he's all grey all over. He doesn't really have a star, stripe or snip. I can't seem to find photos of the horses that are listed, either.

halo
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:11 PM
Sometimes with grey horses you need to wet them down to find the markings, which will be pink skin. One of the horses comes up as a small mixed star, that could easily be missed on a grey horse. What about leg markings? Any white feet?

halo
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:20 PM
From your pictures, he could be Tricks To Win. Your tattoo is pretty clear.

Bacchus
Jul. 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
I wonder how different a gray's markings look when they get older and are whiter than when they are younger and grayer?

The JC will help you with this, too. Contact them and send them pics of the horse.

danceronice
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:25 AM
I am not 100% sold that's an E. Are you SURE of his age and that's not a B (1998). Because B252** comes up with a gray with no white and a median cowlick above eye level (middle of the forehead, slightly up from the eyes) named Kuranda, tattoo B25224, which would also be consistent to that fourth number being a 2, which is what it looks like to me. He'd have had to travel a ways to get to you (because his last race was at Mount Pleasant Meadows, aka "where you get sent if you are too slow and cheap to cut it at places like Los Al") but that was in 2003.

furlong47
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:05 PM
I typed in exactly what I saw, E25217 and also came up with Tricks to Win. These are the markings description for that horse:

Small mixed star slightly to right. Left fore: half pastern irregularly white, lower on outside; dark spots on coronet. Left hind: three-quarters pastern irregularly white, except on outside; dark spots on coronet. Right hind: pastern irregularly white, lower on outside; dark spots on coronet. Median cowlick at top of eye level.

He raced in PA and MD which puts him in the general area.

ClassAction
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you all! From the description, I think he is Tricks to Win. He definitely has the dark spots on his coronets as well as the cowlick described.

Seems like he's pretty well bred?

danceronice
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:36 PM
If he's a Cryptoclearance baby? I would think so. Fappiano on top. Plus he has Ribot on the bottom and top, if that's him.

What I would call lightly raced, too (16 starts over two years.) What do you plan for him? (Besides buying lots of stuff to get stains off gray horses--I sometimes think I really want a pretty gray and then remember "Grass stains, manure stains...")

ClassAction
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:51 PM
Oh he's very much a gray. Today I came to his stall and went "Ruh-roh....." But he is SUPER pretty when he is all cleaned up!

Thanks for all the pedigree stuff. Good to know where he comes from! I'm not terribly knowledgeable about this so it's great to hear from the experts!

nataliegallops
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:26 AM
Oh he's very much a gray. Today I came to his stall and went "Ruh-roh....." But he is SUPER pretty when he is all cleaned up!

Thanks for all the pedigree stuff. Good to know where he comes from! I'm not terribly knowledgeable about this so it's great to hear from the experts!

Cryptoclearance, Ribot, etc... he wants to event. Go get 'em tiger.

Kudos to everyone who can read tattoos. You are all my heroes.

danceronice
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:18 PM
He's bred for sport, and call me biased but I like getting Fappiano through someone other than Unbridled...

ClassAction
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:27 PM
He does seem to be pretty good at this whole eventing thing :D

ClassAction
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:10 PM
Is there a way to look up his racing history, maybe find that one win photo? Nothing's coming up on google.

Jessi P
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:04 PM
He ran 16 times, with 1 win, 2 seconds, 5 thirds. $35k in earnings. His win came at Pimlico, with NO LASIX - http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlus.cfm?BORP=P&STYLE=EQB&DAY=D&tid=PIM&dt=09/09/2004&ctry=USA&race=3