PDA

View Full Version : Best one liner calls?

Glimmerglass
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:23 PM
Anyone hear a race call quip that just had you in stitches or was simply brilliant?

What was is?

(We all know the "but he would have to sprout wings" from Trevor Denman [at whichever track he's calling]; so to get that out of the way).

There are others. Example - July 18, Race 5 at Woodbine with caller Dan Loiselle:

"Tougher than a night in jail" [in reference to a front runner who simply would not give up his lead and won]

Slewdledo
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:49 PM
"so-and-so is in his own personal race with the ambulance." - Michael Wrona (GGF) He is the BEST at quips.

"Choice Stitch has it all sewn up." - Robert Geller (EMD)

The race run during the earthquake where Vic Stauffer (HOL) ends with "so-and-so & so-and-so in a SHAKER!"

jennywho
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:15 AM
"If you bet the favorite you're wishing you had a stiff drink right now" Michael Wrona, when heavy favorite Mutiny Bay was dueling down the stretch with another horse and it appeared he would fold AGAIN. He did dig in to win that day.

dressagetraks
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:53 AM
My two favorites, both classics:

"Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!!!" :cool:

"The incomparable, invincible, unbeatable Cigar!"

And one I remember from the far turn of a BC Classic years ago: "And Gentlemen starts his engine." :lol:

Blazergoose
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Being the armchair race addict that I am ............ I love Mountaineer's frequent call of a fader at the final turn "he's put the cue in the rack".

I also like Tampa's call after the break establishing the leaders along with "last away is so-and-so".

I apologize that I don't know the names of the above, but hopefully someone will post.

Loading into the gate at Woodbine I once heard "3-legged-worrier" and wondered who would name a TB that! Turned out that was #3 Lake Warrior.

Last year there was the stretch duel between The Wife Knows Everything and The Wife Doesn't Know - the call ended with "of course she does".

danceronice
Jul. 22, 2011, 02:35 PM
Last year there was the stretch duel between The Wife Knows Everything and The Wife Doesn't Know - the call ended with "of course she does".

Priceless call for the ages. That and Durkin's call of a race featuring "Onoitsmymotherinlaw."

1994 (?) Breeder's Cup Classic at the wire: "Arcangues! Arcangues to win it in an absolute shocker! He's 99-1!" (And later it was revealed he was more 125-1 but the digital tote board doesn't go that high.)

laserRob
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
"If you've never been on your feet.......you better get up now"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3goC50jhdjU

laserRob
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:49 PM
Chic Anderson.....1973 Belmont Stakes:

They're on the turn, and Secretariat is blazing along! The first three-quarters of a mile in 1:09 and four fifths. Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! Secretariat by twelve, Secretariat by fourteen lengths on the turn! Sham is dropping back. It looks like they'll catch him today, as My Gallant and Twice a Prince are both coming up to him now. But Secretariat is all alone! He's out there almost a sixteenth of a mile away from the rest of the horses! Secretariat is in a position that seems impossible to catch. He's into the stretch. Secretariat leads this field by 18 lengths, and now Twice a Prince has taken second and My Gallant has moved back to third. They're in the stretch. Secretariat has opened a 22 length lead! He is going to be the Triple Crown winner! Here comes Secretariat to the wire. An unbelievable, an amazing performance! He hits the finish 25 lengths in front! It's going to be Twice a Prince second, My Gallant third, Private Smiles fourth, and Sham, who had it today, dropped back to fifth.

tradewind
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:01 PM
That Falcon Seelster race was amazing!

qhwpmare
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:19 PM
The Falcon Seelster race was chilling, made the hair on my arms stand up!!:)

tradewind
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:41 PM
Does anyone know who called the Falcon Seelster race? As of 2010 at the age of 29 he was still alive and siring horses..amazing as well..

MightyBobbyMagee
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:45 PM
For my favorite racehorse ever: "But here comes little Megahertz, with a heart as big as the track!" --Trevor Denman

Zu Zu
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:15 PM
LOVE THIS THREAD ESPECIALLY THIS =

They're on the turn, and Secretariat is blazing along! The first three-quarters of a mile in 1:09 and four fifths. Secretariat is widening now! He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! Secretariat by twelve, Secretariat by fourteen lengths on the turn! Sham is dropping back. It looks like they'll catch him today, as My Gallant and Twice a Prince are both coming up to him now. But Secretariat is all alone! He's out there almost a sixteenth of a mile away from the rest of the horses! Secretariat is in a position that seems impossible to catch. He's into the stretch. Secretariat leads this field by 18 lengths, and now Twice a Prince has taken second and My Gallant has moved back to third. They're in the stretch. Secretariat has opened a 22 length lead! He is going to be the Triple Crown winner! Here comes Secretariat to the wire. An unbelievable, an amazing performance! He hits the finish 25 lengths in front! It's going to be Twice a Prince second, My Gallant third, Private Smiles fourth, and Sham, who had it today, dropped back to fifth.

Drvmb1ggl3
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:12 PM
...and here's Makybe Diva! A nation roars for a hero! She's starting to wind up. 300 left to go now....... A champion becomes a legend! Makybe Diva has won it.... it is the greatest Melbourne Cup win of-all-time.

Greg Miles in the 2005 Melbourne Cup (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Em-PsEhVlLU). Greatest race call ever.
Though, I'm sure it helps when you have a fairy tale race to call.

sk_pacer
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:07 AM
Does anyone know who called the Falcon Seelster race? As of 2010 at the age of 29 he was still alive and siring horses..amazing as well..

The great Roger Huston was the caller.

Slewdledo
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:39 AM
Secretariat's Canadian International (his last race) is a wonderful call as well. "He's into the stretch in a blaze of glory and the fans are cheering because this is his last race....he's all yours!" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqliNZvnFoE

The last race at Longacres (9/21/92), the gate opened and Gary Henson said, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN - these are your horses. Listen to their final thunder." And from then on, let the last race go without a call. (Gary Stevens won it on Native Rustler.)

Lord Helpus
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:03 AM
Not one race call, but one of my favorite lines is from the Calder race caller as he is calling the whole field and gets to the last horse:

"And so-and-so has the best view of the field." :lol:

alspharmd
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:07 AM

Absolutely the best ever.

CVPeg
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:08 PM
He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! .[/I]

On my FB page as my favorite quote.

CVPeg
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:11 PM
Can't forget the Arrrrrrrrrr races by Tom Durkin. We were in the stands at Saratoga and the whole crowd was having a blast during that race.

CVPeg
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Was just reminded of another infamous Durkin call - "Doremifasolatido", with the inevitable off key yodel on the "...do"...

pinkdiamondracing
Jul. 23, 2011, 02:30 PM
By Peter Aiello this last winter at Hialeah when Skyline Lover won yet another stakes race ( he won 4 at the meet at distances of 400 to 1000 yds):

"Quarter horses aren't supposed to win easy-- but this one does" as he anihilated his competition yet again by more than a length of daylight!!!

GingerJumper
Jul. 23, 2011, 04:05 PM
Was just reminded of another infamous Durkin call - "Doremifasolatido", with the inevitable off key yodel on the "...do"...

I heard that one... It was brilliantly done, albiet predictable. :lol:

summerhorse
Jul. 24, 2011, 02:00 AM
I don't remember who it was but the horse had an unpronounceable (so it seems) foreign name and the announcer mangled it (purposefully) a different way every time he said it.

Then there was the race where it was foggy and the caller had them to the turn and then "You're on your own!"

tradewind
Jul. 24, 2011, 11:13 AM
Is Roger Huston still around?

Jessi P
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:07 PM
I had a mare back at Delaware in the early 90s who had a lot of speed but didnt like to extend herself around the turn because she bled pretty significantly several times in that spot for her previous connections. Horses have long memories... Anyway, with a lot of effort we healed and resolved the bleeding issues and had some fun times with her in cheap claimers. Well, one race, she goes to the front, then drops back to last around the turn in a 6 horse field or so, and starts running like hell again down the stretch to win. The call was "Fast Lane Fergie, from first to last to FIRST AGAIN!"

sk_pacer
Jul. 24, 2011, 12:20 PM
Is Roger Huston still around?

Yes he is. He reached the 150,000 call mark in 08. He announces at Historic Track, Delaware County Fair and the Meadows. Youtube has a good selection of his race calls

Madeline
Jul. 24, 2011, 07:19 PM
There were a few calls where the callers had, as you can imagine, problems with a filly named "Flat Fleet Feet". She was a very talented 2 YO, but I suspect she was purchased by a consortium of track announcers...

danceronice
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
There were a few calls where the callers had, as you can imagine, problems with a filly named "Flat Fleet Feet". She was a very talented 2 YO, but I suspect she was purchased by a consortium of track announcers...

LOL...I also wonder who at the Jockey Club let "Hoof Hearted" past. I'm thinking they need to start saying names aloud and quickly during the approval process...did Sofa King Fast get through, too?

pnalley
Jul. 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
Of course Secretariat's
He is moving like a TREMENDOUS machine! is classic and unforgetable
But my favorite has to be:

sk_pacer
Jul. 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
LOL...I also wonder who at the Jockey Club let "Hoof Hearted" past. I'm thinking they need to start saying names aloud and quickly during the approval process...did Sofa King Fast get through, too?

USTA let Hoof Hearted through in 82 and Standardbred Canada in 93; oddly, neither mare raced. Also allowed was Norfolk And Way - try sayig that at race calling speeds, and then there were the infamous duo of Fog Duckin (Stb) and Fog Ducker (tb) and both raced at roughly the same time, much to the chagrin of the NP announcer........."and here they come! It's Fog Duckin!!! (then came the infamous letter switch) and its _og _uckin all the way!!!",

haligator
Jul. 26, 2011, 04:38 AM
Hi All,
A few years back at Philadelphia Park, my little 'Xena' was running in a maiden special weight. She went off at about 85-1 after two losing efforts (we believe she just enjoyed herself in those races). She then ran a strong and true race causing Keith, the announcer, to almost lose it because of the long odds and a very unexpected victory. As she went under the wire he shouted 'Bombs Away! It's Grade A. Fancy!' which I guess is his trademark saying for real longshots. We laughed and we cried!

Gotta add that Tom Durkin's calls on Arrrrrrrrr I will never forget - he is a brilliant announcer. Still miss his voice at the Breeders Cup.

In the book 'Laughing in the Hills,' Bill Barich spoke with several announcers and gave some wonderful examples of 'oops' moments for race callers.

Hallie

Heart's Journey
Jul. 26, 2011, 01:18 PM
Years ago there was a mare that raced in New York, called "Bodacious tatas's" I think Durkin made some comments on how he loved calling her in races.

Foxtrot's
Jul. 26, 2011, 03:33 PM
Brilliant calls - gives one goosebumps. I still don't think it is 'funny' to give a magnificent horse like a TB a name that is disrespectful or vulgar - although Hoof Hearted was a BC horse and has become legendary.

2ndyrgal
Jul. 28, 2011, 10:09 PM
Nip Pulls. Paddocking him was SUCH fun. So was getting my picture taken in the winners circle.

You do NOT want to know what my nickname was that summer...

CVPeg
Jul. 31, 2011, 05:39 PM
Just now in a tight stretch run in the 7th at Saratoga - Durkin, "...Fiery Rebel and Never Right Joey - those two ding-donging it down to the line..."

15k claimer - Never Right Joey 3-1 won the photo by a nose over 40-1 Fiery Rebel.

Flashy Gray VA
Jul. 31, 2011, 06:36 PM
Love when Durkin gets to call a head-bobbin' ding-dong. :D

Not exactly one for the ages, but Trevor Dedman's call of yesterday's race at Del Mar which was won (impressively, too) by Free Beer had so much potential for good comedy!

Was pretty funny when he repeated "Free Beer!" all the way down the stretch. :p

DeeThbd
Jul. 31, 2011, 07:12 PM
Toronto, which is home to Woodbine, was also home to Greenwood Raceway as well. Now, the important thing to remember, is that the name for that area in settlement days was York. The first trainer I worked for told me about a horse whose name was the seemingly-innocent York Hunt. :eek: Yes, there was indeed a York Hunt Club in the area too. :lol:
One local race call was for a hard-running horse named Salute the KIng; he ran a hard-fought race to victory, and Mike Robitaille gave the stretch run including the words "Salute the King can run all day!". If my memory is right, they lost him to colic, so in his honour they named one of their prospects Kingcanrunallday. He did the originator of his name proud, winning over a quarter million, including a second in graded stakes company.:)
Dee

WhiteCamry
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:23 PM
Love when Durkin gets to call a head-bobbin' ding-dong. :D

Not exactly one for the ages, but Trevor Dedman's call of yesterday's race at Del Mar which was won (impressively, too) by Free Beer had so much potential for good comedy!

Was pretty funny when he repeated "Free Beer!" all the way down the stretch. :p

Is it on video?

Etoile
Aug. 1, 2011, 08:07 PM
By Peter Aiello this last winter at Hialeah when Skyline Lover won yet another stakes race ( he won 4 at the meet at distances of 400 to 1000 yds):

"Quarter horses aren't supposed to win easy-- but this one does" as he annihilated his competition yet again by more than a length of daylight!!!

Pete also called greyhound races at Tucson Greyhound Park in college. He has told people about the multiple races he called with a dog named 'Smotheredchicken'. Pete pronounced it Smo The Red Chicken, only to be told after -many- races that it was supposed to be Smothered Chicken. The best part was a few years ago he was in a restaurant where an entree's name was... Pete's Smothered Chicken