PDA

View Full Version : Pump woes

wireweiners
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
I went to feed last night only to find out that the pump at the corrals had stopped working. Tried to fix it this morning but couldn't figure out what was wrong. Usually the breaker switch gets knocked loose. Checked that and it wasn't the problem. I had to get to court so I made sure everyone had enough water and left. I'll have to go back tonight and try to get it running. Why do these things always happen when it's either hotter than hell or colder than a well digger's backside.:(

webmistress32
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:39 PM
I need to take a computer break.

I glanced at the subject and thought it said "pimp hoes"

notice also that I clicked on it. LOL!~

tasia
Jul. 20, 2011, 05:15 PM
I need to take a computer break.

I glanced at the subject and thought it said "pimp hoes"

notice also that I clicked on it. LOL!~

:lol: Pimp hoes is for off topic day:D

tasia
Jul. 20, 2011, 05:19 PM
I went to feed last night only to find out that the pump at the corrals had stopped working. Tried to fix it this morning but couldn't figure out what was wrong. Usually the breaker switch gets knocked loose. Checked that and it wasn't the problem. I had to get to court so I made sure everyone had enough water and left. I'll have to go back tonight and try to get it running. Why do these things always happen when it's either hotter than hell or colder than a well digger's backside.:(

I feel your pain. Our pump stopped working when it was 19 degrees here, well froze. Our electrician was out here at 10:00 pm running a temp line for us. I will always use that company!! Hope yours is an easy cheap fix.

gumtree
Aug. 1, 2011, 01:25 PM
either the pump burned out, lighting strike and it does not have to be close, Capacitor has failed, a wire disconnected. If you don’t have or know how use tester call a well digger.

MeghanDACVA
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:18 PM
Ditto Gumtree.
Our pump died Friday. Fortunately DH is very electrical so deduced what the problem was. But pulling 300' of well pipe is not up our alley (that is about the only sort of equipment he DOESN'T have).

Call a well person.

ToTheNines
Aug. 1, 2011, 03:57 PM
Haha, the way things are in Texas drought-wise, when my hose went dry, I was thrilled it was the pump and not the well! Did have to have 350' of pipe pulled up to replace pump motor, but it was done in one morning.

gumtree
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:27 PM
Our insurance covered ours. Lightening strike. Less deductible.

Bluey
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:34 PM
Our insurance covered ours. Lightening strike. Less deductible.

We have not one, but two lightning arrestors wired right before the line goes into the main box in the pole.
Those get regularly blown off in our storms, when we have storms, not in this drought.

Those lightning arrestors, the size of a tennis ball and very cheap, save everything else in the line to the well house and in there, including well motors all the way down in the hole.

Get some if you are at the end of the line or where you have that problem.

airhorse
Aug. 3, 2011, 10:06 PM
Check to see if there any additional motor protection fuses between the circuit breaker and the pump. These might be near the well tank or inside a disconnect box (if you have either of these). It could also be the pressure switch that cycles the pump on and off.

If you end up calling a well company, be sure to let them know you have livestock that need water from that well.

Lightning arrestors work great if the service lines get hit, but will not help if the well or other circuits get hit on your property. Electric fences, electric gates, outdoor lighting, wells and such are all vulnerable to direct hits.