PDA

View Full Version : 9 days & counting

mysaygrace
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:06 PM
I can barely wait, in 9 days I will be riding my 5 yo in his first CTR :). It's been a few years since I've done CTRs on my gelding's dam, I'm looking MUCH more forward to this ride because my gelding is turning out to be my horse of a lifetime. :) When I did rides before I felt like I was a passenger & literally prayed I'd make it through the ride. :eek: So I gave up on doing rides for awhile & have been volunteering instead the last few years to give back to the sport & be around the friends I've made thru this sport & work on my riding & bring along my young gelding. I'm hoping this ride goes as well as it does when I rehearse it in my mind, lol! I'm excited too because I have met a wonderful friend who's been mentoring my horse & I along the way. She's my ride buddy next weekend! My friend's husband has also been my riding instructor for the past two years & the lessons he has given me has restored my confidence & made riding fun once again. I feel so lucky to have such wonderful riding partners to ride & condition with. I'm busting at the seams with happiness to finally be at a place in my riding where I feel "Yes, I'm ready to take on the trail again". Sorry to babble on & on, just had to share as none of my coworkers, family & many friends "get it" when it comes to talking about the personal goals in riding. Thanks for listening & Happy trails everyone! :D

smilesthepony
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:17 PM
Will you be competing at Muckleratz?
If so see you there :)

mysaygrace
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:27 PM
YEP!!! We're doing the 25 on Sat. Are you going to be there Sat. too? I'll be the one with the stupid grin on my face, well until we do our trot out which is seriously a sight to see! Dang horse has a sense of humor & makes it interesting to say the least, that's our homework until next Sat. working on the trot outs. I'm riding Mingo McKay, he's a chestnut gelding with 3 white socks & blaze, my real name is Lisa Catherman if you want to look me up when you get there. Sure hope this heat wave is gone by then!

smilesthepony
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:34 PM
Yeah, the heat will be horrible! I'll be doing the 25 both days separately, on a green bean Asgard mare. I have fallen on my face many times in my trot out- especially wearing muck boots in the winter! Horse decides he would rather go left, and I go face first into the sand :(. I wonder how many other riders there will be. Any other coth members coming? We could all have a party!

mysaygrace
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:40 PM
I read on FB, Jim saying he only had 55 riders so far but expected more to send in their entries. Are you by chance riding a chestnut mare formerly named Teka formerly owned by Ann & Coy? Ann & Coy are who I'm going to the ride with - great, great people!! I may have met you a year or so ago at the Chesapeake ride? Look me up on FB if you want & we can chat there!

GallopingGrape
Jul. 20, 2011, 05:17 PM
Congrats and be sure to post with photos!!

mysaygrace
Aug. 2, 2011, 10:06 AM
Well my 5 yo completed his first CTR this past weekend & I couldn't have asked for anything more from him. He camped like a seasoned pro, was much more interested in eating & drinking than what was going on around him. He remained composed the entire time & was all business on the trail. The only muscles that hurt on me are my thighs & face from smiling so much. Mingo & I ended up getting 3rd place in the novice division and 13th overall for the Saturdays 25 miler with a score of 96.5. The only thing we need to work on are his ground manners at the half way point. he didn't get excited but he kept dragging me around trying to eat everyone else's mash & hay. So it made it hard to sponge him off & get his heart rate below 46, but I shouldn't complain he really was a good boy & he made me very proud. I feel like the luckiest girl around to have him in my life. I'd post a picture from the ride but I don't have a paid subscription to COTH but the ride photographer took an amazing pic of us over this incredible scenic overlook that I will cherish forever. It was the perfect ride, super helpful & friendly volunteers, amazing trails, yummy food, great friend to do the ride with, etc. Well enough rambling on, gotta go rest my silly face from still grinning!!

Bank of Dad
Aug. 2, 2011, 04:43 PM
Way to go!

chicamux
Aug. 3, 2011, 07:38 AM
Lisa, I'm so glad you had such a good ride! I did too! It was Wynne's first ride in nearly a year and I was a bit apprehensive in case he decided to be a fruitcake. He was fine, pretty strong for the first few miles but eventually he settled down and ate and drank well. I had miscalculated our completion window and only realized my mistake when we had 4 miles to go and only 20 minutes to do it in. My riding buddy Joe and I picked up the pace and made it with 1 minute to spare but then had hot horses to deal with. Wynne didn't make the 44 pulse either but I was very happy with him.

I'd like to get him to another ride in Aug but would have to make a long trip into NY to find one in the middle of the month. Don't know if I want to drive 400+ miles to do a 25 mile ride. I may have to be contented with training rides until the endurance rides that will be coming along later.

I'm so happy for you, glad you had a good ride.

Bonnie

Char
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:00 AM
Congratulations! So glad that you guys did so well!

smilesthepony
Aug. 3, 2011, 09:06 AM
Congrats guys on finishing! It was a fun ride. Will you all be coming to the canal ride? I have heard its a ton of fun as well. Hope to see you there!
Caitlin

mysaygrace
Aug. 4, 2011, 08:17 AM
Bank of Dad & Char - thanks for the congrats, we really did have the ride of our life!

Bonnie - Thanks for the congrats, congrats to you & Wynne as well for making time, lol & having a great ride! I never would've known it was Wynne's 1st ride in over a year, he looked wonderful & nice & calm. Glad he settled in after a few miles. HOLY CRAP, 4 miles in 20 mins. to finish, that had to make it a challenge to cool out your horses. I was very lucky that I had Ann to ride with she had our whole ride planned out time wise & we stuck to it, otherwise I probably wouldn't have made time if I was doing the pacing & planning. She was a great mentor for Mingo & I. Yes, it's a shame there aren't more rides around, I hear the veteran riders talk about all these rides that are no longer around, very unfortunate.

Caitlin - Thank you for the congrats, congrats to you as well for getting Rakka thru the ride with flying colors, that was impressive! So glad you got to ride, I felt horrible for Adrienne, not the way anyone would want to start their ride weekend. Yes, that was a awesome ride, I'm so glad I went. No, we won't be able to go to the Canal ride, look on Facebook, I've posted pics of some X-rays & pictures of Mingo. Tuesday evening he got a nail in his right rear foot, it went in the bottom of his foot & came out the heel bulb. I almost fainted when I saw it, it's been a really crappy week. Mingo is still at the vet hospital & isn't out of the woods yet. The vets are aggressively treating it with perfusions, fortunately it didn't appear to hit any bones or tendons. So I went from being on cloud nine from a perfect weekend to worried to death that infection might set in & I could lose Mingo or never ride him again. Horses - they break our hearts & or wallets : (

chicamux
Aug. 5, 2011, 11:35 AM
OH MY! I'm sorry to hear about Mingo! Yes, these things are scarey. He'll be fine, keep telling yourself that. Last year Mouse got impaled in the chest by a metal something, 8 inches deep and he recovered just fine. That was horrifying when it happened.

Do come to a ride when you can as a volunteer. Cate Peloquin can use more at the Chesapeake CTR in Sept! Sorry, I had to put in a plug for volunteering. You'll be back in the saddle on Mingo in no time.

Bonnie