PDA

View Full Version : New Pix of the 'Little Barn'

ayrabz
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:16 PM
First time I've had my camera at the 'Little Barn' since a lot of work has been updated!
Electrical, and aisle mats, and tack cabinet,(craigslist) counter and cabinets (craigslist) and dutch doors added into adjoining shed (craigslist!!) and...ta da! the new barn doors and stall window custom 'shutters'!

http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/barn%20updates/?albumview=slideshow

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:20 PM
Dutch doors on Craigslist? Wow!

Very nice!!

Bluey
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
What a neat barn, with a place for everything.:)
I bet you will enjoy being out of the weather in there, enjoying working with the horse in peace.:yes:

Interesting corner cabinet, that is a good use of that space.:cool:

ayrabz
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks you guys! Yep...corner cabinet was what I started looking for first....since I won't have a 'tack room'.....wanted one for the corner, and HAD to have that one when I found it!

The 'dutch door set' was an amazing find. even had the hardware on it! the guy had two sets, but I only bought the one for $25 !!!

Gawd, I love the little ghetto barn. :D

kelsey97
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:54 PM
Cute, cute, cute :) Congrats on your barn and your awesome CL finds.

LLDM
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
Looks GREAT! You've done an awesome job. What a perfect little slice of heaven. Enjoy!

SCFarm

TrotTrotPumpkn
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:41 PM
The 'dutch door set' was an amazing find. even had the hardware on it! the guy had two sets, but I only bought the one for $25 !!!

You are my hero. LOL! I love finding good deals/steals. I love your fencing, btw.

ArabDiva
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:40 PM
um WOW, that is a gorgeous little setup! I want! love your flowering trees and pastures...

ayrabz
Jul. 20, 2011, 07:11 PM
THANK YOU GUYS!!!

King's Ransom
Jul. 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
Beautiful! Absolutely gorgeous and so thrifty! You should be proud!

ponygirl
Jul. 20, 2011, 08:18 PM
Love the plexi-glass shutters. How did he do that?

ayrabz
Jul. 21, 2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks, KR...yes, I AM proud! :D Its been such a labor of love...where my grandparents built the homeplace, where I grew up visiting, and now, where my daughter calls 'home' as well!
PonyG: I knew I wanted the light/openess of the windows, so, when I realized i wanted a 'shutter' type, knew I didn't want it to black out the light/view from the lower ceiling stalls, so I had him measure the frame work outside the windows and fabricate a 'window' out of plexiglass with a frame that could be hooked shut or hooked open. I'm really pleased with what he did!

Nes
Jul. 21, 2011, 04:16 PM
Looks great!

Can I suggest you get cages for your lights though?
Just in case one of the horses hits it :yes:. They aren't very expensive, you can talk to someone at a home improvement store, but an electrician supply store would be better.

Glad to see you got everything in conduit! :)

~the electrician's wife...

Guin
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:17 PM
Love the corner cabinet!! :yes:

ayrabz
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks Guin! I promise, (even if it takes me awhile) I will update again with pix once I've dressed that cabinet out with : A battery powered overhead light that comes on when the doors are opened! (found it already)...and the saddle racks...cabinet should hold three...just figuring out the best position for them. And the bridle holders. I'm expecting to keep the 'closet bars' in the cabinet if I can, as they would be great for saddle blankets!

Nes: good idea....but, I am not sure? they would be necessary, because of how I positioned the lights. it isn't easily seen in the pictures, but the lined wood planks on the stall lining are set 'into' the stall area since they had to be positioned on the posts.....therefore , I asked the carpenter to make braces/position the stall lights 'set behind' the side wall wood board lining......so, the lights are set back further than the walls of the stalls....If the horse raised up, etc...they should be out of reach?

wsmoak
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:52 PM
Nice work! I remember when you were looking for ideas on cabinets and such for the front area.

tradewind
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
I think you have done an amazing job. It is beautiful and you can tell how much love went into it..Well done!

MistyBlue
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:44 PM
Ayrabz, not sure you can call that the ghetto barn anymore. :winkgrin:

It looks fantastic! All that work, planning and shopping paid off. Your place is absolutely lovely and that barn is great! :D

Nes
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
If the horse raised up, etc...they should be out of reach?

It kinda looks like the might be, but I can tell you cages are not expensive. Obviously I can't see quite the set up, if you're sure that there is no way the horse would ever pop one then I wouldn't worry about it. But if they could rear up in a funny direction or something, it's just extra insurance :)

ReSomething
Jul. 21, 2011, 10:03 PM
Well, I'm jealous. Once my stuff is all done I think we should have a barns built on the cheap contest, but so far you're the winner!

Nootka
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:45 AM
:D Nope... not ghetto anymore

LOVE your place and I hope you have many great days enjoying it!

smokygirl
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:54 AM
Beautiful..

Agree though, get the cages :) If humans could anticipate everything a horse could possibly do.. No one would ever be dumb enough to have them. Thankfully they have us mostly hoodwinked.. but still.. better safe than sorry :)

2DogsFarm
Jul. 22, 2011, 06:47 AM
Uh-mazing!

Nope, you must cease & desist using the term "ghetto" for this barn.

& how wonderful that it has Family History - frosting on your cake :yes:

Enjoy many years & then pass it on to your grandkids ;)

ayrabz
Jul. 22, 2011, 08:09 AM
:) i really(!)appreciate your approval, guys!!! And,given the suggestions, I will look into 'cages'. But I'll also try to get some better shots to show the positioning-----

Dunno if I'll be able to catch myself from calling it the ghetto barn...:D (c'mon, guys....its a little convertd tin shed roofed outbuilding....I know it certinly ain't no Morton Barn!):lol:

But I promise I'll try. The farm is to be named "La Mora" after a sweet mare of my youth...But I had decided to name the barn "Tin Lizzy" :cool:

seabreeze
Jul. 22, 2011, 10:18 PM
What a beautiful place! Your horses are so fortunate to have you looking out for them :)

Zu Zu
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
LOVE YOUR PICTURES ``

THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR LOVELY EQUINE FACILITY ``

ayrabz
Jul. 28, 2011, 09:28 AM
Zu Zu...:D you always make me smile. My 'Equine Facility' :lol:
My widdle two stall barn is now an 'equine facility!' (has to be true 'cause Zu Zu says so (!) and she doesn't lie!)

love it.

SugarAndSpite
Jul. 29, 2011, 01:09 AM
:eek:

That looks fantastic! Man, craigslist is the best but those are some pretty great finds.

HuntJumpSC
Jul. 31, 2011, 11:25 PM
Nothing ghetto about that barn, it is fantastically adorable! :lol: Love your craigslist finds and your set-up~ enjoy every square inch of your hard work~ it looks great!

My best craigslist find was 20+ heavy rubber stall mats that were used in a personal gym. When the equipment was sold to the guy I got the mats from, he had to take the mats as part of the deal, even though he had no use for them. I got the entire lot of 20 mats, plus various extra pieces of different lengths & widths for $150!!! I've completely matted my little breezeway, 3 stalls, and still have enough left for a little more here and there. :cool:

ayrabz
Aug. 2, 2011, 08:51 AM
HJSC...THAT is a BIG buck saving CL find! Sheeeesh! I spent over $400 just to get the 'interlocking' for the little aisleway! (frieght was a lot of that!) I think you win the craigslist overall savings!!!!!
and thanks again, all (!) in re: the widdle barn! Just yesterday, I had a finalization review with the electrician, and hoping it will all be completed, inspected, and new meter installed and be DONE w/in two weeks!!!! :D

beaulilly
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:00 PM
Our barn has those long fluorescent tubes running down the aisle way. After we moved in and I had the electrician out to inspect the barn I told him I wanted to get covers for them in case a tube should break. He told me that certain kinds cannot be covered and that was the kind I have. It still bothers me to see the tubes exposed, but I guess that's just the way it is.

I'd be interested to hear what your electrician says about that maybe mine is not right.

beaulilly
Aug. 3, 2011, 03:07 PM
I like your entire set-up including the barn, you did a great job with it! What kind of trees are those with the big reddish blooms?

ayrabz
Aug. 4, 2011, 05:39 AM
Beaulily: thanks!... the lights my electrician installed have the plastic snap on covers / not just the long exposed tube ones. But, the covers that everyone is suggesting are the wire mesh ones you put over the whole light...like a cage...so I wouldn't think? your electrician should have a problem with that type?

oh, and the trees are BIG crepe myrtles (sp?) They've been there a long time.:)

Catersun
Aug. 6, 2011, 10:58 PM
absolutley lovely :) it's been a pleasure following your journey... now I just want to see pics of your pony in that stall ;)

chai
Aug. 8, 2011, 05:08 AM
What a great set up for your horses, and some impressive CL bargains. Your turnout area looks like horse paradise and I am wondering what kind of tree that is...really beautiful! Going through the pictures I thought how lucky you are to look out at such a pretty view every day.

ayrabz
Aug. 8, 2011, 06:13 PM
Thank you, Chai ! ( flowering trees are big (!) crepe myrtles) And to you too Catersun, and...since you asked (!) here is a shot of the boy in his transformed ghetto barn digs! :o)

http://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt25/ayrabz/MPADerringerspring2011.jpg