PDA

View Full Version : Rubber reins - icky glue

FrittSkritt
Jul. 20, 2011, 01:33 PM
I have a pair of rubber reins that I bought several years ago from Smith-Worthington. I've only used them for showing, and they're pretty decent reins for what I paid for them (~$20 during their annual sale). However, in really hot weather, there's some sort of sticky substance (glue?) that leeches out where the rubber meets the little piece of leather that joins it to the solid leather rein. IIRC, there is some stitching to hold the two together, but it's still worries me because:

1) I'm afraid I'll be going over a drop, slip my reins, only to find I'm holding just the rubber portion of the rein while my horse spooks sideways at the flapping piece of leather left behind and we both part company.

2) Is there any way I can get the rein re-stitched and the glue removed? They're already starting to show minute cracks in the rubber, so I'm wondering if it's even WORTH repairing them.

Any thoughts?

Xctrygirl
Jul. 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
Take them to your closest tack repair shop and get the rubbers replaced.

This will solve both problems!

~Emily

KateDB
Jul. 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
Mail to Bartville....they do a great job re-rubbering (and sounds like they could use it)!!

yellowbritches
Jul. 20, 2011, 02:57 PM
Better yet (and closer), take them to Journeyman. The rubber does just start to melt after awhile. We re-rubber them when they get to that point. To help them last- NO SOAP on them, ever. Only clear water. And try to avoid getting flyspray on them.

IFG
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:03 PM
And never, ever oil the leather part of rubber reins. Ask me how I know...

Xctrygirl
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:12 PM
Not to be contrary for no good reason but... This economy sucks and its best to save where possible.

Lord knows I have spent $$$$'s of dollars at Journeymen. Love Punkin, and the gang.

However Bartsville is on a quicker turn around and less cost to re-rubber.

I know this, KateDB knows this and we both have used Journeymen extensively.

~Emily

KateDB
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:23 PM
Well, ok, since Em opened the door,I mentioned Bartville because they are quite reasonable, even after paying shipping to/from AND I usually have the reins back in my hands in 5-6 days from the time I mail them out!
:winkgrin:

yellowbritches
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:33 PM
Well, then. Bartsville is totally off my radar and since they are kinda" off the grid" I don't think of them as convenient. Journeyman's is" easy" for us because we always seem to have reasons to be in Middleburg. What do I know? ;)

KateDB
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:37 PM
shut up, you know alot! can't get a cuppa giddyup anywhere else!

Xctrygirl
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:43 PM
Not saying you don't know anything. Quite the contrary.

But for some of us, yes even the NoVa folks, a trip to the post office is cheaper and easier than a trip to Middleburg.

Plus if you don't go to Middleburg, you don't spend $$$ you don't have at tack Box, Middleburg Tack Exchange, Journeymen or of course... The Upper Crust.

Just offering up an option that fits the bill a bit better for some. Hell my customized breastplate alterations used to cost me $100 at Journeymen. Same thing cost me $40 at Bartsville. And it was done in 4 days.

~Em

subk
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:52 PM
Not sure whether I'm not getting your post or if you're not clear on how rubber reins are made... There should be one continuous piece of leather from bit to buckle with the rubber applied and stitched over it. That little leather piece the covers the end of the rubber is just cosmetic.

When reins are re-rubber they unstitch the old rubber and restitch new rubber. Sounds obvious but one thing to remember is that every time you put a hole (as each stitch is) in leather you minutely compromise it's strength. So when you rerubber you are adding a whole new set of stitches and holes. I prefer not to compete with re-rubbered reins and will only re-rubber them once. After that I pitch them (and cry a little.)

I've found fly spray to be the single worst cause of rubber gunkiness.

yellowbritches
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:38 PM
shut up, you know alot! can't get a cuppa giddyup anywhere else!

Well, you figured me out. Pretty much the only reason I go to Middleburg (well, that and the effing vet!). Oh, what I would do right now for a Cuppa Giddyup frappucino!! :lol:

Have mentioned that Urbana (closest "town" to the farm) doesn't have a freaking post office?

I need to get this address....

GiGi
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:44 AM
Mine have been that way for years. I just wrap some vet wrap around them in my evening colors of course!

smay
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:11 PM
It's petroleum products that melt the rubber the fastest. So yep, fly spray will really do them in quick. I don't have any expensive ones, so I've thrown out two or three pair so far... can't STAND that gooey slime!