PDA

View Full Version : Dressage warmup question

Action42
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:32 AM
WWYD? I have an upper level dressage horse that I also event sometimes (See my thread on pace at schooling shows for the whole story). Since his many years as the upper level horse, he is just plain better and easier in his double bridle. At dressage shows (USDF/USEF) you are not allowed to school in a double unless you are competing in 3rd or above. Is there any such rule in eventing? I am heading to a schooling event this weekend and was thinking about warming up in the double and then switching to the snaffle before the test.

How would you feel about this as a fellow competitor? As the show organizers? I don't want to alienate anyone but I also want to get the best out of my horse. TIA.

Janet
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:27 AM
The rules say

EV115 Saddlery.
1. EXERCISE AREAS. The following restrictions begin at 3:00 p.m. of the day prior to the
start of the entire competition and continue throughout the duration of the event. The following
are compulsory: an English type saddle and any form of bridle, including double bridle,
snaffle, gag or hackamores. Running martingales with rein stops, Irish martingales, bit
guards, boots, bandages, fly shields, nose covers, and seat covers are permitted. Side reins
are permitted only while lunging an unmounted horse, as are running reins and chambons.
Other martingales, any form of gadget (such as a bearing, running or balancing reins, etc.)
and any form of blinkers, are forbidden, under penalty of disqualification.
Yes, your double bridle is legal for warm up.

But it it were me, I would let the TD know, as soon as you arrive, that you intend to warm up in the double. That way he/she can make sure the warm up steward doesn't question it.

I wouldn't think the other competitors, or the organizers, would care much as long as the TD said it was OK.

VCT
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
I only do mini's and am aiming for my first starter this August but I've volunteered and groomed at lots of horse trials. If the horse looked happy I would not think anything of it.

Equisis
Jul. 22, 2011, 12:27 AM
Other competitors should not care- it's legal and your choice how you need to warm up. I do agree with Janet that you should let the TD or steward know- I've run into a few times while stewarding that people are unknowingly schooling with equipment that is illegal for competition, and then cause problems and delay when they are ready to compete and have to make tack changes or argue, etc etc. Keeping organizers aware of what you're doing lessens stress =) Allow yourself enough time for the tack change and bit check without holding up the , and have fun at your event!

GingerJumper
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:34 AM
It's perfectly legal. As said in some of the previous posts, just make sure you let the steward know when you check in so they won't question it. Also, thank them for their time as an added bonus... Lord knows they're out there all day sweating in the sun and dealing with grumpy/confused/downright rude competitors, a little thank you goes a long way :)

shawneeAcres
Jul. 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
Might not be a bad idea to have your rule book to show the steward as some are not familiar with some more "obscure" practices/rules