PDA

View Full Version : Slime- it really works!

ASB Stars
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:42 AM
I have been debating bearing the expense of replacing the tires on the Gator. It was a second hand purchase- in excellent shape, but recently, the air was just leaving the tires, albeit slowly enough that I only needed to refill them every other day, but sheesh...

I think they have dry rot, but in a last ditch effort to not have to scrape up hundreds of dollars for tires- I bought a gallon of Slime, on sale, at TSC. I loaded the back tire- which is larger- up with about half of it, and split the rest between the two front tires- the other rear seems OK- which is wierd, but anyway...

IT WORKED! Third day of the tires staying up. Anyway- I wanted to share that the stuff is actually what it says it is!

Bluey
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
Those products work well if you drive the vehicle regularly, so the stuff stays all over the tires.

If you leave it sit there a few days, those settle on the bottom and let air above that level again escape thru whatever holes it finds.

We have used that for almost 50 years and it does work well.
Once we traded pickup tires and the serviceman counted 111 plugs we had used to stop leaks in holes, in ONE front tire.:eek:
Yep, it was time to trade.:p
There were a thousand other smaller pinholes and the slime product was keeping them from leaking.
We drive in mesquite country and those thorns are murder on tires.;)
We fix our own smaller holes with plugs, the real big ones the garage fixes them with patches.

Glad that is working well for you, low or flat tires are a nuisance.

ASB Stars
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:31 PM
We have used that for almost 50 years and it does work well.

Fifty years? You've been using Slime for 50 years? Really?

I mean, this topic is about a specific product- Slime.

I mean, I do know that you are quite liberal your own personal truth-- but 50 years?

kelsey97
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:34 PM
Slime is great stuff...bought my gator gently used 15 years ago and still have the original tires. Between the Slime and Fix A Flat the tires are probably solid on the inside by now! LOL

Bluey
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:49 PM
Fifty years? You've been using Slime for 50 years? Really?

I mean, this topic is about a specific product- Slime.

I mean, I do know that you are quite liberal your own personal truth-- but 50 years?

Well, it used to be pink, the company was selling that to tire stores, then went bright green.

We got it from our tire store, then from Gemplers, now from our garage.

It is all the same preparation, so excuse me, I will correct myself, "we have been using those tire products to keep leaks at bay for as long as they have been making them, under several labels, of different colors, the latest bright green called "Slime".

Hope that will agree with your sense of what is the right way to express this a bit better.:)

I thought I was being helpful and all I got is insults.:(
What a silly way to bump your own thread up, by picking on another poster.;)

Bluey
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
All those products, after some months, will dry up and all is left is some black gunk, so you have to add more occasionally.

If you do have a big hole and the tire goes all flat, if some of that gets on the rim, the tire will then not seat right around the rim and that may cause leaks.
If so, a tire shop will take the tire off the rim, clean that black stuff is left in there off and seat the tire again properly.
Then if you ask, they will add Slime to it again.:)

All that is just for those that care to know more.
If you don't, please ignore it.:yes:

ASB Stars
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:06 AM
Well, it used to be pink, the company was selling that to tire stores, then went bright green.

We got it from our tire store, then from Gemplers, now from our garage.

It is all the same preparation, so excuse me, I will correct myself, "we have been using those tire products to keep leaks at bay for as long as they have been making them, under several labels, of different colors, the latest bright green called "Slime".

Hope that will agree with your sense of what is the right way to express this a bit better.:)

I thought I was being helpful and all I got is insults.:(
What a silly way to bump your own thread up, by picking on another poster.;)

I'm sorry, Bluey but the inventor of Slime will not agree with you. Their patent expires in 2016, so maybe someone else will come up with a pink mixture then. :lol: The product is not 50 years old, and I comment simply because I am sick your comments that are purely to add to your prolific post count, and not of any other value.

The thread was intended to be helpful- so show that the prodcut- Slime- works- and other posters on here verified that. You, not so much.

Bluey
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
I'm sorry, Bluey but the inventor of Slime will not agree with you. Their patent expires in 2016, so maybe someone else will come up with a pink mixture then. :lol: The product is not 50 years old, and I comment simply because I am sick your comments that are purely to add to your prolific post count, and not of any other value.

The thread was intended to be helpful- so show that the prodcut- Slime- works- and other posters on here verified that. You, not so much.

Sorry, the moderators graciously held up the rules so you could help a breeder sell her stock, but I don't think they will be so kind to let you, out of the blue, as here, go bashing on posters you don't care for.:no:

I was offering more information about those products Slime represent, that I have many years experience with.
I don't see where that was out of line at all, for you to come out so insulting about it and keep the insulting comments up.

I too could add some edgy comments of my own about you personally, but will restrain from it.:p

Think about this, no need to apologize for the insults and lets move on, ok?;)
You got to say what you wanted, now cool your heels, COTH is a large enough sandbox for all.:cool:

Back to the topic at hand, there are several such tire sealants, some expandable foams, that highway departments use in their machinery and all work well, but will make driving on highways harder on the tires and vehicles.

The liquid ones , like Slime, are better for highway use.:yes:

Fpr off highway use, the foam products are a little better, they are more stable.

Tom King
Jul. 21, 2011, 04:54 PM
Once you put any of the tire sealants in a tire, mark the wheel some sort of way so you remember it's in there. The guys that work for us have ruined two air hose end nozzles with built in air gauges. Those things are really convienient, but not exactly cheap.

Also, some number of tire gauges have been ruined here with tire sealants too.

It's good at plugging up leaks, so it does a good job of plugging up air gauges too.

Once you put sealant in a tire, just fill it by feel after that, and let any tire store know that a tire has sealant in it if you go in for service. It not only makes them mad to ruin tools, it costs them money. People who don't buy tools never appreciate that they have value.

ASB Stars
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:44 PM
Thankfully- my compressor hose does not have anything on it, at all!

Thanks for the help- I'd hate to have to go buy a gauge!

Tom King
Jul. 21, 2011, 09:40 PM
I really like these. When you let off the trigger to read the tire pressure, it lets some of the air back into the gauge to be able to show the pressure. It also lets a little Slime or fix-a-flat back into it locking it up. So far I haven't been able to come up with a solvent that will clean the two clogged upped ones out. I also lost a dedicated gauge that I keep in the truck which reads high enough for 80 psi tires after one of the Miltons didn't work any more because someone needed to check some bicycle tires.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00915476000P?sid=IDx20070921x00003d&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=21-142144952-2