PDA

View Full Version : Anyone train with Marcia Kulak?

wishnwell
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
I would love to hear any feedback on Marcia Kulak if you train/trained with her.

Timex
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:18 AM
I don't know her, but have never heard anything but good things about her, for what that's worth.

evntr5218
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
I have never ridden with her but anytime I have bumped into or seen her at shows she has never been anything but nice and pleasent to everyone. I have known a few people that have ridden in clinics with her and said that she was a really good clinician.

Carol Ames
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:31 AM
I knew her as an eventer; She, and her mother were involved in the early days:lol: of Centered Riding and would, I would think have have have some specially helpful tidbits of knowledge;) to offer.:yes:

Carol Ames
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:33 AM
She is a very good horsewoman, :cool: with excellent experience with top horsemen:yes:

chancellor2
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
I have seen her teach and she is an EXCELLENT instructor.

xitmom
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:57 AM
She coached xc at the GMHA adult camp this year. I thought that she was excellent. She emphasized good horsemanship and ensuring that the basics were there before progressing to the next steps. She was really good at working with me on a problem that I was having with one type of xc element. I liked her style as well -- clear and direct but kind.

EmmyTheHemi
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:15 PM
VERY exacting standards. If you fit in with her program, you will do well.

Hilary
Jul. 20, 2011, 02:01 PM
From my one XC warm up experience, and being stabled next to her several times, she is exacting, and tough, but right on the mark with helping with the riding. She'd never seen me ride before and offered to help me warm up for XC when my coach wasn't able to be there and I got worried about the course. She had me jump a fence, and then said "get over here!" She adjusted my saddle pads, stirrups and something on the bridle, and warmed me up with a minimalist approach but boy did my horse run around that big Prelim course like his tail was on fire - he was fantastic.

Her horses all ground tie and her stable area is immaculate. I always feel a little like PigPen around her!

I suspect she has a low tolerence for excuses!

eventer80
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:28 PM

Her horses all ground tie and her stable area is immaculate. I always feel a little like PigPen around her!

This!!! I felt like an unorganized looser!! :)

We stabled next to her during the AEC's last year. She was very professional and tidy but also super friendly. She helped us out on SEVERAL occasions including calling when my dogs was upset and finding my friend's wallet after we were already on our way back to Texas. I wish I had the chance to lesson with her!!!

event1
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
I ride with her and she is quite simply one of the best! To start...she is an awsome rider...especially in dressage and nothing is missed. She also does some effective Natural Horsemanship and her stable management is second to none. In teaching...she expects your tack to be clean and well fitted, your horse to be well cared for and groomed and you to listen and be attentive to what she says. She does not only teach this..she lives by it! She brings out the best in the horses and the best in the riders. When I am around her...she always makes me want to step up and do/be better! After a lesson with her...I am always so full of confidence. That is what I would consider to be her strongest point-she gives you confidence. She also has a very nice and engaging personality but really has no tolerance for BS. Very matter of fact-and to me..that is refreshing-some people can't take it.

wishnwell
Jul. 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
Thank you everyone for your input!

Saskatoonian
Jul. 21, 2011, 05:40 PM
judging by her response to my inadvertent borrowing of her wheelbarrow last year, she also has a good sense of humor!

exvet
Jul. 22, 2011, 11:32 PM
That is what I would consider to be her strongest point-she gives you confidence. She also has a very nice and engaging personality but really has no tolerance for BS. Very matter of fact-and to me..that is refreshing-some people can't take it.

She sounds A LOT like her mother. This thread has been a wonderful blast from the past. Nice to know that some people you knew as kids are doing well and stayed on the path they set out on soooooo many years ago.

laurenandtoby
Sep. 4, 2011, 02:03 PM
I was lucky enough to train with Marcia in Wellington this past winter. She is nothing short of spectacular! After I spent a lifetime of riding and 2 years trying to learn the sport of eventing, she brought my horse and my riding to a whole new level! Everything people have mentioned here is true. Marcia is tough, exacting, demanding and absolutely truthful and incisive. But she also has a huge heart and is one of the most incredible human beings I have ever known. If you are lucky enough to have a chance to ride with her, by all means do it! I have also been fortunate to have lessons or clinic rides with Leslie Law, Jon Holling, Kyle Carter, Mike Huber and others. They are all fantastic too, but I must say Marcia is the absolute best. She doesn't just teach you during your lesson, she instills in you the confidence to ride on your own as though she were there coaching you. Very special talent! I can't wait for her to come back to Florida in November!

FlightCheck
Sep. 4, 2011, 08:37 PM
Welcome to COTH, Lauren!

Fkightcheck....and the FatPaintMare
(we met at the area iii adult riders clinic earlier this year)

Chance93
Dec. 29, 2011, 06:04 PM
I also have the pleasure of working with Marcia during her Winter stays in Wellington, FL. She is as many have said very firm, but she is also very fair. I have had the privilige to ride with several great riders in clinics over the years such as Kim Severson, but Marcia is by far the best Eventing Trainer I have ever had. I have a confidence issue and after every lesson I feel more and more confident. She is very particular about the way the horse looks and performs and that is another great quality. She puts the health and well being of the horses above all else and that is to be admirerd. I am blessed to have been paired with such a Good hearted person and Fabulous Horsewomen. I wish that she was here in FL year round. If you ever have the oppurtunity to ride with her you should as you will not be sorry. You will come away from the experience with a lot if great knowledge.