PDA

View Full Version : Saddle for Connemara?

mbm
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:00 AM
so my Connemara gelding does not fit any saddle i have tried. he isnt really wide in the barrel but has round withers. so i need something with more of a upside down U rather than the normal V shape.

suggestions from other with similar horses/ponies? needs to be something i can get used and under 1k.

thanks!

rthonor
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:51 AM
My 3 year old that is fairly wide for a 3 year old, wears a Wintec Pro- it fits her very well. It has a non adjustable Medium tree. She is roughly 14.2, and very rangy.

My 5 year old, who is narrow and higher withered for a Connie, wears a Bates with a thinline pad. This saddle has an adjustable gullet and CAIR. She is 14.3 but very petite and refined mare. She does not like the Wintec at all and crow hops alot with that particular saddle at the canter.

My shorter guy, (13.2) is the one that is harder to fit, but he seems to prefers the Wintec Pro over the Bates now that he is gelded and lost some of his bulk. The Bates fit him well when he was a stallion. He prefers the jumping saddle which happens to be a Stubben Siegfried VSS. I think the Bates does not sit on his back the way it used to. The back panels seems to float upwards.

My friend who has a 5 year old Connie mare uses a Sommer....it fits her very well. Not sure the width of the tree. The mare is roughly 14.3 hh, and has more of a horse look than pony look.

I rode one of my friend's other connie's that was the wide type in my Wintec Pro- it worked well. This horse was wide, somewhat round withered, and around 14.2 hh.

buck22
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:47 AM
my Morgan is very U shaped, I've found the following suited him under $1000

Jorge Canaves and some Thornhill
Duett
KN neidersuss (sp?)
Black Country
JRD
County
Slatter
Michael Stokes
some older Barnsby

good luck!

Perfect Pony
Jul. 21, 2011, 10:19 AM
You can try my wintec Isabell if you want. I know you did not like it on my pony, but she is radically different than your gelding, and to be fair she really went pretty well in it (the panels were just too long on her short back). It has a roomy, well balanced seat and all the gullet sizes.

mbm
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
thanks for the suggestions.

i tried KN wide - one fit (that one was not for sale) and others were too narrow...

PP - i would LOVE to try your saddle. the thing i didn't like about it on your girl was that it was just too big for her. maybe it would fit tank boy! :)

poltroon
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:03 PM
Saddles To Boots in Sebastopol gave me a card for a saddle fitter who they said is very reasonable and has a great eye. You might be able to work with them to find something great.

mbm
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:25 PM
who is the fitter? i have used most of them around here ;)

i was going to head to S2B and take a load of saddles to try.

i sure wish the saddle i tried on him (the KN) that fit had been for sale.... that would of made things so much easier! lol!

Perfect Pony
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:54 PM
PP - i would LOVE to try your saddle. the thing i didn't like about it on your girl was that it was just too big for her. maybe it would fit tank boy! :)

I will be dropping off Bug to stay with Megan for the Connemara show sometime next weekend, maybe we can meet up somewhere.

mbm
Jul. 21, 2011, 02:10 PM
I will be dropping off Bug to stay with Megan for the Connemara show sometime next weekend, maybe we can meet up somewhere.

perfect! just give me date/time and i will try to work it in :) and thanks!

chryssilynn
Jul. 23, 2011, 12:00 AM
Some JRD's will have what you're looking for, but you need to have someone who can identify which tree is being used. Or perhaps just call them and ask, tell them your budget.

mbm
Jul. 23, 2011, 01:00 AM
thanks. one of my current saddles is a JRD that i got from Mehrdad. I dont have a big enough budget right now to get something from him - i dont think. my 2k budget last time was stretching it :)

but i agree he would have something that fits! he has many many trees.

carolprudm
Jul. 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
I see Middleburg tack exchange has a County Warmblood for sale. They are no longer made (sure don't know why) but they were good for the type of back you describe
http://www.middleburgtack.com/index.cfm?action=inventory&pCategoryID=D2E2F169-C291-660C-4CA5843E0C5507F4&name=Dressage