PDA

View Full Version : Got any spare jingles for Keebler today?

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but some may remember Keebler's mystery hind-end lameness about a month ago that disappeared as quickly as it appeared.

Well, it has done that 8 or 10 more times since then, always disappearing completely within hours.

Today we're at MSU and the vets are stumped so far--they can reproduce the lameness, but are having a hard time localizing it. We are now onto nerve blocks and the horse is PISSED. :lol:

So a few stray jingles, if you have them to spare, could come in handy. :) We need some of the "find the spot" and "make it not really serious" varieties, please. :p

GingerJumper
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:03 PM
Jingles for Keebler!

BBowen
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
DW:

Send loads of prayers and jingles for Keebler. Hope the vets can pinpoint what is going on so you can begin treatment. Hope it is minor. If only they could talk (sometimes).

2boys
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:09 PM
Jingles for him and you! I read your blog regarding his MRI, and hope this turns out as well as the last injury! :)

FlightCheck
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
Jingle from the Fatpaintmare and Keebler 's brother Gizmo! !

monstrpony
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:16 PM
Jingles, as ordered!

fordtraktor
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Poor fellow -- best wishes for a speedy diagnosis and recovery.

annikak
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
Lots of jingles....can't wait to see what happens....I hope it's quick and easy. (is it ever with horses??)

VCT
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:14 PM
Jingling!!!

IFG
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:40 PM
Wow, is this still from rolling under the fence?

Good luck and jingling!

clivers
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:46 PM
Jingling for you both!!

stryder
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:48 PM
Jingles! Hope it resolves soon. I hate the mysteries.

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:54 PM
The rolling under the fence was a hypothesis. :) The horse isn't talking. :p Which (considering the dire and hateful faces he's pulling at the moment since the lip chain came off) is probably a good thing. :D

Fred
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:11 PM
lots of jingles for you both!

merrygoround
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:32 PM
Many jingles. Hind end mystery lameness is misery.

yellowbritches
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:34 PM
Jingling for him. This is the kinda day you'd really like them to talk and say" it hurts HERE." Bummer.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:50 PM
First off HUGE Jingles for Keebler....

Second... and you'll think I am nuts.... Once upon a time an animal communicator was doing horses at the barn I boarded at. I was in school, but my friends wanted to know the history behind my horse and the trainer was riding him and sometimes wondered about his hind end strength. So they asked if the lady could "talk to" him. I asked if I would have to pay, trainer said no she'd cover it. I said fine.

So low and behold she "talks" to him and pinpoints that years back he had an injury on that leg. Up high is what she says.. and she gravitates her hands over the hip joint..

Long story shorter... later radiographs proved he did have an old fracture that had healed there.

He was perfectly sound, but carrying himself in the harder flat work on that leg took more warm up.

Soooo....... maybe let someone "talk" to Keebler.

~Emily

Hilary
Jul. 19, 2011, 03:13 PM
Jingles Lynn - I hope they find where he's saying 'OW' and why. ANd that it's minor!

Justa Bob
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:04 PM
Major jingling for pin-pointing "the source" and "speedy cure." Ditto for being MINOR.

mbj
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
jingles from PA.

frugalannie
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:07 PM
Big jingles, Lynn. Hope the vets find out what it is. Horses can be so darned frustrating!

ACMEeventing
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
Jingles. Biggie Size.

slp2
Jul. 19, 2011, 05:13 PM
Jingles Lynn and Keebler!!! Forgot you were at MSU today. As much as I hate any problems, I'd much rather have the Mr Obvious type lameness---sporting a bloody gash, while horse holds the offending limb off the ground and looks at you pitifully. At least you know what the hell you're dealing with. Hate mystery lamenesses. Hope they figure it out.

Duckz
Jul. 19, 2011, 05:45 PM
Jingles!

mkevent
Jul. 19, 2011, 05:49 PM
Jingling from NJ.

Hope it turns out to be minor and easily resolved.

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 06:37 PM
Thanks, everyone. :)

Yeah, I would be about as likely to call an "animal communicator" as I would be to send our entry in to Rolex next spring! :lol:

What little "faith" I have is with cold, hard diagnostics. And, I must say, COTH jingles to a degree--both my requests were promptly honored, thanks! :p

We DID find the spot and it IS nothing awful, although bad enough for this poor horse who really likes to work for a living!

It turns out he has a small (the size of a watermelon seed) slab fracture on the dorsal surface (I would say "anterior and superior" but veterinary terminology is a little different) of the 3rd tarsal bone, right in the front of the hock. It must be a little bit mobile to explaini the on-again, off-again (mostly off again) lameness, but not really too troublesome most of the time if he's just standing or walking around. He really, REALLY objected to flexion of any part of the leg, much of that being general pissed-off-horse stuff and his mortal offense at being twitched. He loved all the female vet students but if looks could kill the (male) attending surgeon would be stone dead this evening. :lol:

So they blocked all the way up to below the hock, and that changed nothing, so the distal limb was exonerated, as we'd sort of suspected all along. Then they x-rayed the stifle and hock, and that's how they found the little fracture. The joints otherwise don't look bad at all, which is nice. :) This probably was traumatic, given the history, but who knows?

SO the prognosis long term is quite good, but the poor critter is on stall rest again for the rest of the summer and well into cold weather. :sigh: Follow up films in 60 days and we'll see. We opted not to do a bone scan (which would have cemented the diagnosis) because it would not change therapy at all.

asterix
Jul. 19, 2011, 06:48 PM
well, i'm very sorry to hear he has to be in jail for a while, but you are right, KNOWING is so much better than guessing, and it sounds very heal-able (you know what I mean).

I read Em's post about the animal communicator and thought "yep, delta'll sign up for that in a heartbeat. :lol:"

But it is SO frustrating when you just want them to tell you....

OTTB FTW
Jul. 19, 2011, 06:55 PM
Glad you found out what is wrong. Jingles for a speedy recovery!

frugalannie
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:00 PM
We'll have to send Keebler lots of horsey magazines to read while he's "on the couch". But no matter how much he begs, no big screen TV. The sports events get them so excited they jump all over the place. Ask me how I know...

Seriously, glad you found a something that is mendable. Yay!

monstrpony
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:03 PM
Argh! Poor Elf, poor you. Could be worse, but it's bad enough. Happy healing!

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
Bummer...but a fracture is often easier to rehab than a soft tissue injury (rehabbed both a few times).

Uncle Jimmy has good stall treats....My boy Prince likes all the flavors.

http://www.uncle-jimmys.com/

Prince also likes his reserpine...and is on week 8 of who knows how long of his stall rest. Here's hoping Keebler doesn't need to go the reserpine route! At least you know what's wrong and long term should be fine!

Somermist
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:18 PM
Well, glad you found the problem. Sorry Keebler will be laid up. Jingles and prayers for complete and quick recovery.:yes:

RunForIt
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:13 PM
Keebler's confinement sounds like it's on the same schedule as Taco's...they oughta be out and about ABOUT the same time.

Happy to hear the problem is defined, and fixable, but sorry that Keebler is gonna be back in his stall...and you have to deal with his grumpiness - I know how he feels! :D :cool:

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:20 PM
It's not that he isn't hiding inside the stall all day anyhow these days with the awful heat and deerflies. :lol: But being in the stall BY FORCE, well, that's a different story. He coped with it OK last fall, I'm sure he can cope with it again. :)

Out come the Nibble Nets and the first cutting hay. Away go the nice big scoops of Ultium for breakfast and supper. :D

FlightCheck
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
Ugh for the stall rest, but KNOWING is such a relief (until you look at the bill !)

Cyndi

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:45 PM
The bill was Keebler's smallest vet bill EVER this time! :lol:

Xctrygirl
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thanks, everyone. :)

Yeah, I would be about as likely to call an "animal communicator" as I would be to send our entry in to Rolex next spring! :lol:

I want to point out.. I did not pay for mine. :)

And I was only throwing something out there that surprised me years ago.

Asterix... Oh come on.... there's some element of fun to the whole communicator thing.

~Emily

BaroquePony
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:55 PM
The bill was Keebler's smallest vet bill EVER this time! :lol:

Well, that's an improvement right there ... look at the bright side :lol:.

IFG
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:19 PM
SO the prognosis long term is quite good, but the poor critter is on stall rest again for the rest of the summer and well into cold weather. :sigh:

Glad that the long-term prognosis is good. I am not sure if I feel sorrier for him or for you. Jingles for an uneventful stall rest.

allpurpose
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:52 PM
Jingles from Dexter! Sorry he's on house arrest but I hope it all comes out healed in the end!

asterix
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:34 PM
Asterix... Oh come on.... there's some element of fun to the whole communicator thing.

~Emily

Oh, gosh, don't get me wrong -- I'd do it in a heartbeat if it were free and/or I thought no one would know :cool:

But knowing Lynn's oft-professed adherence to evidence and data, I had to chuckle.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:06 PM
Oh I knew the idea was a longshot... scratch that.... BEYOND a long shot.

But it did work once upon a time. And if it worked for me........ who knows.

~Emily

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
Define "worked". Did this intervention by a psychic make the horse better or change its treatment? Did you xray the rest of its body to look for other stuff that the AC missed? :lol:

I have no psychic ability whatsoever, but if you presented me with a horse with a vague, difficult hind end lameness that had stumped a vet, I don't think I would have to even break a metaphysical sweat to proclaim it was probably "up high somewhere". But moving my hands around mysteriously would DEFINITELY cost you extra. :D :winkgrin:

Peggy
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:19 PM
Glad to hear that you have a diagnosis and a prognosis. Facts are good. Sending jingles and positive vibes for both of you surviving stall rest.

And I will confess to paying for an animal communicator. Mostly for the entertainment value. Even paid for the barn cat who said he was sorry that he ate someone's tuna fish sandwich. Which he had indeed done. But lots of cats do that and, who knows, the communicator may have overheard something earlier.

Xctrygirl
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:22 PM
Define "worked". Did this intervention by a psychic make the horse better or change its treatment? Did you xray the rest of its body to look for other stuff that the AC missed? :lol:

I have no psychic ability whatsoever, but if you presented me with a horse with a vague, difficult hind end lameness that had stumped a vet, I don't think I would have to even break a metaphysical sweat to proclaim it was probably "up high somewhere". But moving my hands around mysteriously would DEFINITELY cost you extra. :D :winkgrin:

LOL I know what you're saying. But she seriously went up to him with no prep. They didn't say a thing. She talked to him and ended up at that leg. And he wasn't lame... no swelling no signs etc. She just went in and worked with him and landed on that spot.

Luck? Very possible. But there are so many things I have heard and seen that cannot be explained out...I have the ability to believe outside of science and the proven stuff.

Plus its kind of fun.

~Emily

deltawave
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:24 PM
It would certainly be entertaining to hear Keebler's thoughts. If anyone wants to have a crack at figuring out his psyche, feel free. Adults only, though. I imagine him swearing like a sailor. :D

.I have the ability to believe outside of science and the proven stuff.

The danged Jesuits removed this from me under intellectual torture. :lol: Some days I'd like it back! :)

Epistemology is why I never fall asleep before midnight. :D

Peggy
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have several friends who say that the Jesuits gave them the tools with which to dismantle their faith. And now we've veered severely off topic.

scubed
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:49 AM
But no matter how much he begs, no big screen TV. The sports events get them so excited they jump all over the place. Ask me how I know...

Too funny, my offer was for stall toys and his own personal DVD player, but watching Rolex video also likely to create undesirable antics. He'll have to watch BBC (extra points if you catch the movie reference)

Lori T
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:51 AM
How frustrating for you and Keebler. I hope you get some answers soon.

deltawave
Jul. 20, 2011, 08:11 AM
Those Uncle Jimmy's balls make him very . . . angry. :lol: So for now I'm being proactive with the omeprazole, a little green grass and the company of his beloved pony. Only 119 days to go! :D

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2011, 08:32 AM
Those Uncle Jimmy's balls make him very . . . angry. :lol: So for now I'm being proactive with the omeprazole, a little green grass and the company of his beloved pony. Only 119 days to go! :D

yeah...if you hang them correctly...they frustrate the hell out of my boy too. His sister figured them out quickly with no problem but he wants to BITE them.

I gave up and hang them so he can pin it against the wall. They don't last that long when you hang them this way but he loves them so I give him a small one (one of the licky things) once or twice a week.

My guy gets a bit explosive so no more hand grazing...good luck on Kebbler's jail time!

CookiePony
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:00 AM
Oh, gawd, you have my complete empathy.

Taco loves his Uncle Jimmys but he goes through them very, very fast (like in under a week).

Did you see my five stages of lameness rehab blog post?
http://teamtacot3d.blogspot.com/2011/07/five-stages-of-lameness-rehab.html

GingerJumper
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:10 AM
So glad you found out what it is!

As far as animal communicators go... I really don't think they're legit. I DO think that they are probably very empathetic (able to pick up on emotions easily) and able to read teeny tiny body language things and notice how the animal is behaving down to the tiniest detail and get a "reading" off of that.

I thought all that up when a a friend and I had a very awkward conversation revolving around the fact that we both had recently asked our horse something (rhetorically.. let's face it, who doesn't talk to their horse a little?) and we felt like we'd gotten an answer. It was weird. Long story short, we decided we're just very observant. (mainly because we refuse to believe in psychics, much less that we're psychic).

deltawave
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:29 AM
Did you see my five stages of lameness rehab blog post?

This is round two for us. :rolleyes: He just got OFF stall rest in February after six months! :lol: I am on stage seven at this point, I think. :p

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:18 AM
This is round two for us. :rolleyes: He just got OFF stall rest in February after six months! :lol: I am on stage seven at this point, I think. :p

I told Cookie that she missed a stage. In this stage, after several injuries, lay ups and rehabs...you buy more horses (or get into the breeding) under the logic that you will hopefully always have one horse to ride. Of course you quickly learn that it is not only possible but probable to have more than one lame or sick horse at once.;)

CookiePony
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
Yes, I know my writeup is woefully incomplete. I missed the get-a-new-horse-and-watch-it-go-lame stage and also the Throw in the Towel/ Liquor stage, as insightful commentators have pointed out. Now I guess I also left out the Round Two stage, which I believe would make eight total stages.

bornfreenowexpensive
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:40 AM
Yes, I know my writeup is woefully incomplete. I missed the get-a-new-horse-and-watch-it-go-lame stage and also the Throw in the Towel/ Liquor stage, as insightful commentators have pointed out. Now I guess I also left out the Round Two stage, which I believe would make eight total stages.

Or the stage (usually after several rounds with several horses) that you realize that it NEVER really ends. You just have breaks in between rehab when you get to ride and compete;)

Lori B
Jul. 20, 2011, 10:42 AM
Lynn, coming to you from Crazy-Making Mystery Lameness HQ, I am glad to hear that the MSU folks FOUND something specific and addressable. Sorry Keebler is confined, but glad to hear he has a good prognosis.

Keep us posted on his progress. My recipe for surviving a year of stall-rest was reserpine and hand-grazing with gloves and a lunge line. For those moments when you are suddenly looking at your horse's belly and front feet in the air.

VCT
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:49 AM
I'm glad Keebler will be okay! Sorry you have to deal with months of stall rest... may the force be with you. ;)

The Hobbit
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:04 PM
Jingles from the desert! I hope all goes well.