View Full Version : Courbette Cresta - foam or wool flocked?

Jul. 19, 2011, 04:29 AM
I have a Courbette Cresta that I love dearly, but it's pinching the withers, a bit, on my mare. I'd like to reflock it, but cannot seem to find anything online that tells me if the Cresta model is wool flocked or foam? Does anyone know? Thanks

Jul. 19, 2011, 08:01 AM
Flip the saddle over, examine the panels, find the lacing and stick your fingers inside. If its flocked or foam you will feel it. Run your hands down the panels, foam and flock feel differently, foam feels like foam, springy and consistent, and the panels are usually thin (a benefit of foam, closer contact). Flock can feel differently depending on what its stuffed with, but you might feel or see slight imperfections. Flocked panels are often gusseted, foam is usually not.

You might also have flock over foam, common on some brands.

When you examine the panels if you find little slits with perhaps a bit of fluff hanging out, those are access spot for a saddler to adjust the flocking.

Jul. 19, 2011, 10:11 AM
Check on Courbette's website, there are pictures of what their foam or wool panels look like:

Jul. 19, 2011, 01:57 PM
Thank you both! The pics from the website cleared it all up. It is NOT wool flocked. I am disappointed.

My horse is very wide. I read that this tree is supposed to "flex" but I don't see how it could get wide enough for my horse ... no matter what the website might say.

Is there anything else I can do to make the withers thinner in the padding? Or am I stuck having to sell it?

Jul. 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
You can have a saddle fitter look at the panels - if there's enough leather etc, you can have the panel reflocked with wool: some fitters do this, some won't; cost varies depending on how the current panels are constructed BUT it's not cheap (except cheaper than buying a new saddle :winkgrin: ).

Foam panels can also be replaced but again this is fairly expensive & the issue may also be a tree that is now too narrow, so may not be a worthwhile investment.

Stubben has bought out Corbette so there has been a clearance on existing stock, so hunt around to see if "your" saddle is available somewhere in a wider width.

ETA you may also be able to have the tree widened, just confirm with Courbette which tree is in your saddle - note this may void any warranty the company offers on the saddle.

Jul. 19, 2011, 07:46 PM
This may sound silly, but how do you widen the tree and who would be able to do this?

Thanks for the great info!

Jul. 19, 2011, 09:57 PM
Generally it is the plastic (cough cough "carbon fibre") trees that can be widened rather than the wood trees BUT any tree can be stressed & cracked during the process so you have to accept that possibilty - though it is rare.

The process is available through saddle shops, tack shops that have the machinery & someone trained in the process (though I'd ask to see the credentials of someone before handing my saddle over) - VTO (http://www.vtosaddlery.com/) does the Prestige saddles & sells Courbette saddles so I'd just give them a call (# on website); they likely could also answer questions about panel adjustment.