PDA

View Full Version : Marker Flags in pasture - bad idea?

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:45 AM
Here's the problem. I find a cactus or fire ant mound in the pasture as I am walking, mowing, whatever. I go back to the barn to get the weed popper or Amdro, and can't find the damned cactus or mound.

So, I was thinking of getting some of those flag markers like the utility company uses, carry some in my pocket, and when I find one of the aforementioned offenders, stick a flag in the ground, and go back and get the appropriate tool(s).

Now, I don't think the ones on the wires would be a good idea, on the off chance that curious horses go to check out the new pasture toy.

But they do come with either a pvc or fiberglass shaft:

Fiberglass:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB18VF2/Vinyl-Stake-Flags-Fiberglass-Staff-High-visibility-Outdoor-grade

PVC:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/WEB127760/Vinyl-Stake-Flags-PVC-Staff-High-visibility-Outdoor-grade

or is this just a bad idea? It's not like I would be leaving the flags out there for days on end.

JanM
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:06 AM
How about the little orange cones? They sell them at the big box hardware stores, and places like Jeffers and they are easy to see, you won't have to touch the ground to install it and you can carry an entire stack on the mower, or carry a few when you walk the pasture (they don't weigh much for the little ones). And if you accidentally mow one it won't shoot small fragments everywhere.

dawglover
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:29 AM
Or, you can buy a can of the brightly colored spray paint like the utilities use to mark buried cable routes.
It washes away after a couple of rains.

Nes
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:43 AM
Depends on your horses really. I know flags like those would keep mine curled up in the corner of her pasture for days & days.

If you've got especially curious horses I would just take them out of the paddock for an hour while you work :)

alabama
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
My horse would probably try to eat the flags and the donk would try to play with them. I do like the cone idea - and the paint. The cones might be more visible from a distance.

kcmel
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:58 AM
But the cones are a great horse toy, so they might get moved!

HPFarmette
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:09 AM
I used the spray paint that shoots downward to mark out stumps in my pasture to avoid when mowing. It was bright orange.

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:33 AM
So, I looked into the paint (the stuff for athletic fields) and the MDA sheet made me a bit nervous, I suppose the little bit I would be spraying would not be toxic if the horses ate it.

The issue of being able to spot them from a distance might be a factor with the paint.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Oh, this is not a paddock, this is a giant 9 acre pasture. I don't think the flags would phase them, and only one of the three horses is nosey enough to come and play with them.

Mags
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:08 PM
How about some of the bright colored tape some times used to mark electric fence. Make your own flag by tying a length onto a stick or branch that you find out walking?

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:25 PM
How about some of the bright colored tape some times used to mark electric fence. Make your own flag by tying a length onto a stick or branch that you find out walking?

Interesting idea, I already have the fluorescent green stuff, maybe some drinking straws and I'm good to go (not that many sticks in the pasture).

I did manage to find about 15 of the cactus that I nicely mowed around, the tall tufts of grass made it a bit easier.

msj
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:29 AM
What I used to do when I first moved here and found a LOT of thistles in the pasture when I was mowing was to keep a gallon of Roundup on the mower by my feet and stop and spray immediately. I had three pastures for rotation so when I was mowing the horses were always in another pasture. That way I didn't have to worry about the horses being there to promptly eat what was sprayed.

Bluey
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:36 AM
I agree, best to carry supplies with you, maybe fix you some kind of basket or backpack with them.

We have been known to use cheap, very thin toilet paper, that stays on the plants and spots for a while, long enough for you to find again.
That toilet paper will dissolve the first rain and wash away.

Horses will mess with it if you wait long to go back to find the spot.

Something like that, very light white paper strips is what our aerial spraying company uses when spraying fields and pastures, to see where they made a turn each time.

We have been known to mark the corners of the mesquite brush they sprayed by wrapping that toilet paper all over the bushes on the corners, looking like halloween gone bad.;)

MunchkinsMom
Jul. 22, 2011, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. For prickly pear cactus, there is not a spray that works, they have to be dug up, and you have to get the whole bugger, or it just grows back, and if you mow over them, you get a bunch of babies from each little piece that was hacked off and flew across the pasture.

I do have a few bright colored plastic rings that are supposed to be pool toys, but the kids have outgrown them, maybe I can re-purpose those. They look a bit like this:

http://www.toysplash.com/Product/RingTossPoolGame

I don't think the TP would stick enough in the grass near the ant mounds, which are even harder to find once you walk away to get the Amdro.