PDA

View Full Version : how do i get papers for an old tb mare

wookie
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:21 AM
so...my friend bred her tb mare to rosenthal and would like to have the papers on the mare to have her inspected and the beautiful baby filly inspected at the oldenburg inspections at highpoint hanoverians. the mares racing name was fro road.
does she join the jockey club or .....? what are the steps.

if we don't have the papers on the baby then it can't make it into the premium class if invited....and she will be i can assure you. and roxie (aka fro road) deserves that!!!

Laurierace
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:40 AM
You can get a copy of her pedigree from equineline which is the jockey club's website. Unless you know who has her papers and can get them from them you can not get her papers. There is no such thing as joining the jockey club as they are simply a registry.

Bacchus
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:53 AM
You might be able to have the warmblood registry fax a request to TJC for the DNA and/or proof of being a TB, especially if the mare has a tattoo. Papers aren't always required.

witherbee
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:05 AM
The only way to get a copy of her papers is to get in touch with the last owner - they will either have them, know where they are, or be able to provide a letter to the Jockey Club authorizing you to get a duplicate set of papers (not cheap). Go to the Jockey Club's website and it explains this in detail and has the fee listed as well. The Jockey club does not keep ownership records, they are a basic registry for TB racehorses only.

Good luck - sounds like a nice filly. I would also verify exactly what is needed from your registry - sometimes the actual papers are not needed.

danceronice
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
Her last racing connection was Dean Bicknell at River Downs, owner/trainer. As this was in 1995 it's safe to say if the papers aren't with her any more they're long gone. You can print her pedigree from Equibase or Brisnet, and possibly the JC might be able to help with DNA testing, but since she's a 1991 model that might be asking a lot (were they testing/recording every foal then?)

And, not my business, but isn't 20 a little old for a broodie?

Bacchus
Jul. 19, 2011, 04:05 PM
No, 20 is not old for a broodie as long as she's strong and healthy. Some people, Rob Whitely for one, believe broodies are best in their mid to late teens and early 20s.

wookie
Jul. 19, 2011, 05:42 PM
thanxs all. i already have a printout of her pedigree so the owner is going to have to chase the rest down. and yes i do know why you would question the age. the vet and the people at highpoint think its just fine based on the horse. she is actually bred back to the same stallion. her baby is spectacular. big blaze just like momma. last year she was bred to their stallion frankie and unfortunately the baby was still born at full term. he was a gorgeous chestnus colt with four big socks and again roxie's signature blaze.

i personally don't breed. i have 3 ottb that i rescued so to speak and love them dearly. totally in love with the breed and i had warmbloods before. i will never go back!!!

Muleskick
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:46 AM
Actually if you know who she is all you need is a bill of sale from who you bought her from and you can get duplicate papers now. It is 150.00$, you will have to fill out the application and provide pictures..

EponaRoan
Jul. 24, 2011, 01:53 AM
Actually if you know who she is all you need is a bill of sale from who you bought her from and you can get duplicate papers now. It is 150.00$, you will have to fill out the application and provide pictures..

Nope.

http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#nine

See:

4. A notarized statement from the owner or his authorized agent describing the circumstances under which the Certificate of Foal Registration was lost or destroyed;

halo
Jul. 24, 2011, 04:25 PM
5. Proof of ownership of that specific horse (for example, a bill of sale or cancelled check including the name or pedigree of the horse, date of sale and the name of the new owner)

EponaRoan
Jul. 25, 2011, 12:49 AM
5. Proof of ownership of that specific horse (for example, a bill of sale or cancelled check including the name or pedigree of the horse, date of sale and the name of the new owner)

My interpretation (YMMV, but it's up to the JC) is that you have to do as much of 9a 1-6 as applicable. For sure, you'd have to do the photos and description of markings/cowlicks.

http://www.jockeyclub.com/registry.asp?section=3#nine

Muleskick
Jul. 26, 2011, 11:40 PM
Did it this year on a 13 year old mare that we had trained as a 5 year old (200,000+ earner), that I had sold as a brood mare prospect 7 years ago, she ended up at Camelot after original buyer left her at a breeding farm that went under. We accepted her back and she is now on the farm of a friend and in foal.