PDA

View Full Version : Good Events to use as lead-up to Waredaca T3D

sarah88
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hey all!
So I have just moved up to training, but am thinking about aiming for the T3D at Waredacca in October. (I know it seems soon but bc I am currently a WS and am having lots of lessons it seems like the best time to try to go!) I still have to get 3 qualifying scores, but am wondering what area 2 events would be good for preping for the T3D. I think I am planning on Waredacca in August and Five points..probably would like to run 2 additional T's beforehand (my guy had the spring off from competing so can prob handle a bit more this fall....)

also, if anyone has links to the previous threads on the T3D and wouldn't mind posting that would be great! (my computer isn't liking the search feature for some reason! haha)

Duckz
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:18 PM
In September, Seneca Valley and Marlborough come to mind. And I think there's one at Fair Hill in August. I'm avoiding Waredaca in August because of the footing (I'm told it can be quite hard by the end of the summer).

retreadeventer
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:23 PM
I am in about the middle east of Area II, and I am aiming for Marlborough in Sept., Loch Moy the beginning of October. I will probably add one more between Labor Day and the 2nd weekend of October (I'm tied up the week before the T3D) but at this time not sure which one.

I have to travel on the August weekend of Waredaca, unfortunately but will try and get to the XC schooling if possible.

I will take a look before closing date and see what qualifying scores I have in hand and see if I need more and plan accordingly.

The T3D thread might be posted on the FAQ post that headlines this category; why not double check up there. Cookie Pony might have a bunch posted in that category. Asterix has a great conditioning schedule someplace, and don't forget to check the Waredaca.com site -- they have a whole section on the T3D. Good luck, hope to see you there! :)

Highflyer
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:25 PM
I did Waredaca in August, and then Seneca and Flora Lea in September--would definitely recommend the first two but Flora Lea was softer than I would have chosen (and softer than the year before). It was fine, my horse was pretty experienced, but with a greener horse with minimum qualifications I would definitely look for a stiffer course.

I've never been to Marlborough or Radnor, so I don't know how they are. Maryland HT is great, and I would think Morven Park would be, too. I actually really like the Bucks County xc, and they make you do it before sj, which can be a rude shock for some horses.

The conditioning schedule my trainer recommended was the one from a Gina Miles article in the USEA magazine in spring 2010. I found when I looked at it that I was already doing pretty much all of the walk/ trot work and most of the canters, so just needed to step up to gallop the last couple of times. I didn't feel fitness was an issue at all (but then I missed a fence and TE'd myself 3/4's of the way through xc, because I'm an idiot. But we were having a great run!)

eventingcpa
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
Keep in mind you have to have your qualifing scores by the closing date. The closing date for the 3day is September 20th, (the horse trials is 10/3) so that means Morvan park and Middlburg can't be used ( as qualifiers) as i understand the rules. I'm doing the same thing and need two more myself. Planning on Waradacca, Loudoun (its held at oatlands this year) and Upper Marlborough. Don't know about the last two and only did Waradacca in the spring so i don't know how good these are.

Difficult run is also available but i am avoiding that one since the footing can be very hard this time of year and i have an older horse that i want to avoid pounding on more than necessary.

retreadeventer
Jul. 20, 2011, 06:54 PM
Well if I don't have my scores by then, I won't go. I'll just do something else, then. It won't be the end of the world.

sarah88
Jul. 20, 2011, 08:47 PM
well I am planning on Waredaca and then seneca or five points... middleburg was going to be the last but i guess i will have to do marlborough or louden instead! thanks for the heads up... i definitely had the wrong closing date in mind!

Silver Notebook
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:35 PM
I can tell you that Marlborough will be solid. We added new jumps last year and trying to build one or two new ones this year (for Training, Prelim and Novice). We also plan to aggravate the tracks this year and we always have wonderful sponsors for prizes. It's always a friendly event and, though I am biased, I love the venue. So come out and give us a try! Sep 17-18 this year. :winkgrin:

Duckz
Jul. 21, 2011, 07:37 AM
I can tell you that Marlborough will be solid. We added new jumps last year and trying to build one or two new ones this year (for Training, Prelim and Novice). We also plan to aggravate the tracks this year and we always have wonderful sponsors for prizes. It's always a friendly event and, though I am biased, I love the venue. So come out and give us a try! Sep 17-18 this year. :winkgrin:

I love the venue too! I grew up trail riding from the barn to Rosaryville so I'm biased too. Back then I was a hunter princess and thought y'all were crazy :D Anyway, Marlborough will be my second Training and I can't wait. See you there!

yellowbritches
Jul. 21, 2011, 08:53 AM
Marlborough is a favorite with us, too! Laid back, relaxed, nice courses! Hard to beat!

LisaB
Jul. 21, 2011, 12:50 PM
I would choose wisely as you don't want tricky or bad ground.
I would do 5 points, then Morven. I did a break then the t3DE as we like to be fresher but if you need a good lead up then MD HT.
These are bigger courses with good footing.