PDA

View Full Version : What to charge for trailering??

NBFarm
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:27 PM
I have a boarding client who needs horses picked up at a show and brought back home. They have a ride there for their two horses but not a ride back at the end of the weekend. It is not something I really have time to do, but I don't want the kid to have to stay home because they can't get a ride home from the show. Can anyone offer any insight on what I should charge for this? We are in Maryland and I would be driving about 35 miles to Virginia to get them and bring them home.

Thank you!

Berkley
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:57 PM
I have been charged $2.00 per loaded mile in the past.

LuckOfTheIrish91
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
factor your gas you'd use round trip and charge for that and then add a little extra for your time and wear and tear on the truck/trailer!

Nes
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:56 PM
To get my mare home, I payed $50 + $1.50/KM.

NBFarm
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:52 AM
Thanks everyone!

Southernboy
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:35 AM
Does your insurance cover you hauling someone else's horses for money? I would get a concrete answer from your insurance company before you put your entire operation at risk. If they denied a claim due to you acting as a commercial operator, then you would personally be on the hook for damages and liability.

carolprudm
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:22 AM
Does your insurance cover you hauling someone else's horses for money? I would get a concrete answer from your insurance company before you put your entire operation at risk. If they denied a claim due to you acting as a commercial operator, then you would personally be on the hook for damages and liability.
YUP

NBFarm
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:59 AM

Yes, my commercial liability coverage is extensive (and expensive :eek:) and does cover trailering.

HoofaSchmigetty
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:29 PM
CHECK AGAIN as I believe you have misunderstood...... Your commercial ins will cover hauling providing YOU are hauling horses that YOU own....Double check for peace of mind.

LauraKY
Jul. 20, 2011, 01:23 PM
I believe the current IRS rate for an Auto is $0.51/mile (mind you, that's not a truck and loaded trailer. You really should factor in your time and the expense of operating your vehicles (wear & tear, depreciation, insurance, taxes) to come up with a rate.

I'd be double checking with the insurance agent too...make sure your covered if you're operating for hire.

I'm not sure what the going rate is, we no longer haul for clients.

KnKShowmom
Jul. 20, 2011, 01:38 PM
If you are hauling for a boarder client then your insurance company may look at it under boarder services coverage as you are not advertising or accepting outside hauling jobs which would be classified as a commercial hauler status.

equusvilla
Jul. 20, 2011, 03:22 PM
.. I have a BNT and they charge $75.00 or .75 a mile whichever is more.

NBFarm
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
CHECK AGAIN as I believe you have misunderstood...... Your commercial ins will cover hauling providing YOU are hauling horses that YOU own....Double check for peace of mind.

My insurance does cover commercial hauling. Thanks for your concerns, but I am covered there.

Bells
Jul. 20, 2011, 04:48 PM
Current IRS rate is 0.555 cents per mile for autos (just changed about 3 weeks ago).

kelsey97
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:57 PM
Because they are boarders, and you don't seem to mind doing them this favor, figure your fuel cost and double it. If you ask too little they'll have you running all over fetching their horses, if you ask too much it might piss them off then you have to deal with grumpy boarders!