PDA

View Full Version : Northern California AA Championships dominated by ponies!

Perfect Pony
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:07 PM
Big shout out for the ponies this weekend!!

Intro Champion and Reserve won by two German Riding ponies, Training and 1st level Champion was a New Forest Pony, Training Level Reserve and 4th place won by two German Riding Ponies!

rizzodm
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
Was this at Woodside?

poltroon
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:22 PM
Woo!

Are you going to bring your Connemara out to the West Coast Connemara Show that will be in Santa Rosa the weekend of Aug 6th? Entries close Wed. There will be a rated open dressage show and a rated open jumper show as part of it as well.

Perfect Pony
Jul. 18, 2011, 06:14 PM
Yes at Woodside.

I will be in Hawaii during the show, there is a small chance she will be there with Megan. Did you see the video of her at her first show? Love my pony!

honeylips
Jul. 18, 2011, 06:44 PM
We (the 2 pony owners) had fun! Our ponies got 8s on gaits from all 3 S judges, with super comments and the ponies had some of the highest scores of the show. They were SUPER ponies. So many people commented on how appropriate they were for us as well size wise.
Ponies rock!

http://s184.photobucket.com/albums/x96/melissamulchahey/Woodside%20RAAC%202011/

Perfect Pony
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:14 PM
We (the 2 pony owners) had fun! Our ponies got 8s on gaits from all 3 S judges, with super comments and the ponies had some of the highest scores of the show. They were SUPER ponies. So many people commented on how appropriate they were for us as well size wise.
Ponies rock!

I didn't want to call you out by name unless you wanted me too, but yes, you and your ponies look so gorgeous. Big congratulations!

And I have to say at the schooling show I went to I also got so many nice comments from people, and my DH said he overheard many nice comments from the railbirds, about how nice it is to see ponies out there.

IMO they are the dressage worlds best kept secret.

netg
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
That's awesome!

I really hate the "I must have a bigger horse!" desire so many people have. Sure, for the folks I know over 6' you need a horse with a barrel big enough to take up your leg decently. But really, I think it's insane people think anything under 16hh is short. I would totally get a pony if I were looking and I found a pony who was the right match!

Congrats on the great show honeylips!

(But my horse... is... umm... 16.3hh. And ridiculously tall. But small-barrelled, so it's ok.)

Old Fashioned
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:59 PM
Very cool ponies! :D

poltroon
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:04 PM
There were 4 very cute ponies with kids aboard yesterday at Fieldstone Farm. Go ponies!

Sandy M
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:08 PM
And let me add, as someone who was there AND was a participant, that the ponies were BRILLIANT! (Unlike my 16.2 "darling" who acted like an idiot the entire day!) Oh well, at least we completed the test, didn't jump out of the arena and didn't explode in the arena during the RAAC test, though he managed a minor explosion in a later test. Sigh. I don't know if my budget can encompass enough shows to get him "over" his sillies!! But the pale blue ribbon IS pretty.......Sigh.

But again, Congratulations to the Pony People!!!

ise@ssl
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:14 PM
PONY POWER - I LOVE TO HEAR THIS NEWS.

Proud owner of the Westfalen GRP pony stallion POPEYE standing at Hilltop Farm in MD.

honeylips
Oct. 10, 2011, 06:27 PM
I just returned from the Region 7 USDF and CDS Championships with one of my ponies.
My 4yo pony Outrageous - was CDS 4yo AA Futurity Champion and CDS Training Level Amateur Horse of the Year Reserve Champion.
Yep =- he was competing against the "full sized" horses!

BaroquePony
Oct. 10, 2011, 08:10 PM
Congratulations on all of your pony wins:yes:.

But I hope this doesn;t mean a whole bunch of beginner riders are going to go out and buy ponies:no:.

I meant that in the kindest way:winkgrin:.

honeylips
Oct. 11, 2011, 12:47 AM
I don't think that matters much - but for the record I am an FEI rider and have my Silver Medal. One of my ponies is totally ammy/beginner safe, the other is a more challenging ride and needs an experienced rider. Both have loads of talent!

BaroquePony
Oct. 11, 2011, 12:56 AM
My apology. I had no intention of offending anyone, per se.

It just made me think of the "Ponies Are The New WBs" thread. I suppose my concern lies in any breeds that might become the new fad.

exvet
Oct. 11, 2011, 02:12 AM
First of all, congratulations on your most recent and very impressive accomplishments, honeylips.

I'm not trying to speak for Baroque Pony but I doubt seriously that she was not aware of your prior accomplishments nor questioning your ability to ride.

I too would hate to see mismatches between rider and mount, especially among ponies. Just because it is a pony or small horse does not automatically make it "easier" which is a misconception I run into a lot when people want to "downsize" and call me to see what I have or to help find them something. Pony breeds and small horse breeds come in lots of wrappers. Price does not guarantee that they will be easier to ride. And just because they may not be easier to ride does not equate to a less than stellar pony either, just one that needs a more educated (and capable) seat. While you are obviously aware of this, unfortunately, I find that not everyone drawn to the smaller mounts is as experienced or as astute as you.

Nanerpus
Oct. 11, 2011, 08:00 AM
YAY for PONIES! We just returned from Sport Horse Nationals and the pony I was riding in Training Level won 3rd in a field of over 50 riders, and was the only pony there! Love hearing about dressage ponies!!!!

exvet
Oct. 11, 2011, 08:46 AM
YAY for PONIES! We just returned from Sport Horse Nationals and the pony I was riding in Training Level won 3rd in a field of over 50 riders,

Congratulations, that's quite a huge field of competitors. Was this the Welsh x Arab cross?

BaroquePony
Oct. 11, 2011, 10:20 PM
I don't think that matters much

:uhoh:

Perfect Pony
Oct. 11, 2011, 11:13 PM
This has definitely turned a bit weird. At least from what I have seen and experienced with my own pony, they certainly have their challenges (just like any equine) but they DO tend to be a lot more ammy friendly if the right mount is chosen. There are several ammy riders at my barn who are not advanced or highly educated dressage riders that are much farther along than most ammy horse riders. They are on Halflingers, Welsh Cobs and GRP to name a few. They are some of the happiest and most successful riders on the property.

My 4 year old Connemara is more fun than should be legal. Everything about her is a joy. I DO think more ammies, both beginners and experienced riders, should consider ponies.

exvet
Oct. 12, 2011, 01:13 AM
It's great that you've had wonderful experiences with your ponies as have your acquaintances/friends. Because some of these breeds are not common in this country and it's difficult to find already broke/going under saddle ones, some find themselves buying young/unstarted stock. The younger ages/weanlings also tend to be cheaper to import. I have more than one "ruined" welsh cob in my backyard (yes, both were scheduled for euthanasia before they came my way) because they were poorly handled and/or started by (some well known) trainers. As a result they were labeled dangerous and crazy. I also know of at least 3 imported GRPs that were lost into obscurity (yes I know where they really are) because of the grandios ideas their owners had when acquiring them and much to their suprise found out that crank or spank training methods didn't work or that the training wasn't the issue but the need for a still seat and quiet hands were (the pony simply wouldn't put up with less). Some even feel that because they are ponies they are "easier" to over power and force into a specific frame only to find out that the little 13 hand expert in self preservation will not be bullied or take demands kindly.

I do not agree that they are for everyone. I think the key is that the RIGHT mount is chosen. Some are simply too sensitive for their ammy riders and size not withstanding can provide difficult to ride/work through as a result. You chose wisely, not everyone does, and it's a challenge to know for sure what that cute little critter running next to mama will have for a work ethic along with other worthy attributes. That is one valuable aspect to some of the GRP registries. They maintain records which can be more closely scrutinized for information that gives you a much better chance for appropriate selection and knowing what one will end up with (well that is if the ammy is honest with themselves and their situation). The native pony breeds, not so good in this area and it can take those who deal with such breeds years to "break the code of silence" and find out which bloodlines yield which "attributes".

Again I think it's great that the ponies are proving to be worthy competition for their larger counterparts; but, to lead people down the path that if you go smaller it will of course be easier is just plain wrong and does a disservice to some really nice pony flesh.

BaroquePony
Oct. 12, 2011, 09:02 AM
Exvet knew exactly what I was thinking :yes:.

Perfect Pony
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:14 AM
Oh exvet well I certainly agree with that, but those same principles can be applied to anyone buying a horse or pony. Buying too young for your skill is always a problem, bad training is always a problem. Buying the wrong personality in a mount is always a problem. My pony is really sensitive, is very particular about her saddles, and needs a very quiet ride, but she is just 4 (and a mare). I have no doubt that brought along correctly however, she will make the ultimate kids/ammy pony. She is "easy" in the sense that she is forward, willing, has easy gaits, and is just about the smartest thing I have ever sat on. And yes, you are right, that is an easy animal to ruin!

When I vetted her, the vet was an older vet who had a lot of horse sense. he told me I should snap her up, that she was the type that would do anything you asked, IF YOU ASKED RIGHT, lol. She needs to be treated with lots of love, kindness and understanding, but the reward is wonderful.

So, I will say, a well handled, well trained pony can be one of the best mounts on earth. the opposite, maybe not ;)

exvet
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:02 PM
So, I will say, a well handled, well trained pony can be one of the best mounts on earth.

Agreed and often are a horse of a lifetime for that lucky person they end up owning. :D

BaroquePony
Oct. 12, 2011, 10:51 PM
for that lucky person they end up owning. :D

:lol:

Nanerpus
Oct. 13, 2011, 08:23 AM
YAY for PONIES! We just returned from Sport Horse Nationals and the pony I was riding in Training Level won 3rd in a field of over 50 riders,

Congratulations, that's quite a huge field of competitors. Was this the Welsh x Arab cross?

This was her sister, also Welsh x Arab. Here's a photo from the show:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/nanerpus1/Sport%20Horse%20Nationals%202011/Trot.jpg

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j407/nanerpus1/Sport%20Horse%20Nationals%202011/Etoile1.jpg

exvet
Oct. 13, 2011, 08:48 AM
Very nice Nanerpus and thank you for sharing. I have a crabbet bred mare I had sold but may be coming back to me (owner no longer needs her). If she comes back I am seriously considering breeding her to a section B stallion.

handfish
Oct. 13, 2011, 11:02 AM
Your link isn't working for me! Ponieeezzz!!!

Ponies rock!