PDA

View Full Version : Curious. Any 50/50 Draft/TB crosses Prelim & Up?

KC058
Jul. 18, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hi All!

Looking for some upper level inspiration. Can 50/50 Draft Crosses get fit enough to do Preliminary Eventing? Even my beloved TB's are going to need conditioning to do 26-34 3'9'' fences at 550 mpm. Can the drafties keep up?

Pics/Links Please!! :yes:

NittanyEquestrian
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:44 PM
I'm curious too. I'm getting a sporty perch/holsteiner colt and am curious to see if anyone else is doing anything upper level with the true draft crosses. At barely 2 he's a solid 15.0hh or so but not drafty, so hoping he holds true to his parents' light and athletic builds and is not a throwback. =) He has wonderful movement, build AND personality so I'm not concerned but definitely curious! =P

KC058
Jul. 18, 2011, 06:39 PM
Found One!! With Color Too!!

The Navigator

Preliminary
8 year old draft/paint gelding
Owned by Teena Olson

http://lewisevent.com/new_photo_album/navigator/navigator.htm

Yay!

KC058
Jul. 18, 2011, 06:49 PM
He's not 50/50 but Irish Draught stallion going Prelim..

http://windfieldfarm.weebly.com/flagmount-pride.html

and Twist of Blues

http://windfieldfarm.weebly.com/twist-of-blues.html

I guess the drafties can keep up sometimes :)

yellowbritches
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:17 PM
Irish Draught is not the same as a clyde, perch, etc. The breed was developed to be a riding horse, not a pulling horse. Definitely a different kind of animal...Irish Draughts are more similar to old school WBs.

Badger
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:47 PM
I event a 50/50 Percheron/TB at prelim and a friend events his brother at intermediate. I bred these horses putting the same TB stallion to a Percheron mare and her daughter. The prelim horse also hunts with my husband. Interval training is your friend.

Groro
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
Merloch is 1/2 Percheron x 1/2Thoroughbred. Is that good enough for you??

KC058
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:17 PM
Badger- Pics? Website?

What conditioning schedule do you have?

Jul. 18, 2011, 08:18 PM
Peter the Great is 1/2 Percheron 1/2 TB. Ran intermediate.

tres grey
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:19 AM
He's not 50/50 but Irish Draught stallion going Prelim..

http://windfieldfarm.weebly.com/flagmount-pride.html

and Twist of Blues

http://windfieldfarm.weebly.com/twist-of-blues.html

I guess the drafties can keep up sometimes :)

At the bottom it says that its a part of a simulated online game and none of it is real. Bummer :(

KC058
Jul. 19, 2011, 07:18 AM
At the bottom it says that its a part of a simulated online game and none of it is real. Bummer :(

haha Wow!! Thanks for catching this! Hilarious!! but disappointing. Well I think the paint/draft is real. Wonder where the pics came from?? :no:

Eventcrazy
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:19 AM
Badger- Pics? Website?

What conditioning schedule do you have?

Yes please share conditioning schedule.

goodmorning
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:39 AM
Here's one, I think he's awesome, watched him a couple times now and I'd love to take him for a spin :D

http://hoofpix.zenfolio.com/p336046462/h233ed688#h233ed688

LisaB
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:51 AM
We may qualify even though it's been said that my horse is mostly standardbred with some perch in him. We just don't know!
There was a stallion competing in the ul's not too long ago too. Can't remember his name though.

Janet
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:39 AM
Even my beloved TB's are going to need conditioning to do 26-34 3'9'' fences at 550 mpm.
Prelim is 22 - 30 3'7" fences at 520. You don't need 3'9" at 550 until you go Intermediate.

LisaB
Jul. 19, 2011, 01:41 PM
But you'd better be prepared to do that, Janet! Also, isn't there like a 2" leeway on the measurements? I could have pregnancy brain on that though.

Janet
Jul. 19, 2011, 02:49 PM
But you'd better be prepared to do that, Janet! Also, isn't there like a 2" leeway on the measurements? I could have pregnancy brain on that though.
The 2" leeway is in show jumping.

Uno, The Great Escape
Jul. 19, 2011, 03:14 PM
My trainer competes a 50/50 Belgian/Paint at training, but he was going around prelim solidly for a year. He's 17.3 and built like a draft, no Paint showing besides one patch underneath the girth.

1. http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/6133_1210764549851_1250860501_631316_451015_n.jpg

2. http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/254833_10150276729696942_568546941_8775727_6004565 _n.jpg

He's also competed Prix St. George dressage!

Catie79
Jul. 19, 2011, 03:22 PM
Here's one, I think he's awesome, watched him a couple times now and I'd love to take him for a spin :D

http://hoofpix.zenfolio.com/p336046462/h233ed688#h233ed688

I want him. O_O

There's something about that combination of feathers flying and adorable pricked ears with his knees up around his eyeballs.

2ndyrgal
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:21 PM
John Williams' Rolex Mount. I think COTH did a piece on him the last year he was at Rolex. Mudroom that posts here has one that does quite well, and while he isn't doing Prelim now, I believe he has. He hunts in the winter season and I've never seen him unfit.

It depends on what you get with the cross. I've seen God-awful crosses that have a drafty way of going and a "Thoroughbred" brain. If Daddy is a non-winner-of -a- ham sandwich OTTB and Mommy is a common, poorly bred draft, then you might get junk. A lot of the PMU babies are mellow, but someone I know has brought them down 4 or 5 at a time from Canada. Some of them are absolutely bat**** crazy. Those are disposed of and the sane ones he makes into hunt horses. Some are nicer than others, a couple have turned into pretty darn nice showjumpers.

I have a 11 year old PMU gelding that was picked out by a conformation expert and brought down to Kentucky. I bought him as a long 3 year old. He's big, gorgeous, liver chestnut, and everyone thinks he's "imported". I tell them he is, he's just from Canada. He looks just like Carrick, and I'm convinced if Phillip or Buck were riding him, he'd jump everything at Rolex. If he hadn't got eliminated in dressage on Friday....

He's got a huge overstep, swings through his back, three beautiful dressage quality gaits and he's freejumped nearly 6 feet, he's done 5' with a rider up.
He jumped out of our 4 board fencing, that is about 5 feet high, from a trot.

Here's what you need to remember when you are picking any horse, for any "sport" purpose. He never met his daddy and he doesn't know how much you paid for him. He doesn't know what he can't do, and neither do you, until you try. Once you get past a certain level, heart and brain mean as much as anything else. It's like Jimmy said, "I don't want a horse that needs me to help it, I want a horse that jumps in spite of what I do".

My horse looks like a giant, old school Thoroughbred. On steroids.

Find one like that.

SuZQuzie
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:30 PM
Emmie Lou is competing in the 1* at NAYRC this year. Percheron x Trakehner cross. She is literally a block of muscle right now.

shamrocker
Jul. 20, 2011, 07:50 AM
My daughter competes her Cleveland Bay X (Shire,TB,CLyde) at Training level. She is hopefully moving up to Prelim this fall. This mare is very athletic and can really jump, and loves it. Her conformation is really nice and she is definitely uphill. She does not look drafty and coarse, and she has a huge gallop stride. And she does have Cozy Commander in her bloodlines.:)

She has made time at Training, but may not make the Prelim time, which is fine for my daughter, as riding and bringing this lovely horse along, is the joy of for her. Many riders don't make time at Prelim, regardless of the breed of horse.

Fitness is key as is energy/nutritional management. Our mare works 6 days a week, sometimes 2x a day, (perhaps lunge in morning, hack in afternoon) something like that. The draft crosses can do it, but they won't always be lightning fast.

stolensilver
Jul. 20, 2011, 09:26 AM
There have been several ID X TBs who have excelled in eventing. Lenamore is one, he is still competing and coming in the top 3 at 4**** level at the grand old age of 18. Another one was Horton Point who won Badminton 4****.

Touch of the Blues RID still stands in the US. He evented to Intermediate in the UK before he was exported to the States.

Many more top eventers are 3/4 TB 1/4 ID or 7/8 TB 1/8 ID. The ID adds extra sense and soundness and the famous Irish fifth leg across country. They are fabulous horses.

lucky dog farm
Jul. 20, 2011, 11:12 PM
I had a Belgian/QH that competed a 1*. He could jump the moon and was quite capable of keeping pace so I do believe it can be done if you condition them.

ridexc
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:39 AM
Nope, sorry, if Carrick has any draft in him it's no more than a smidge. He's a Canadian Sport Horse (John has bought a number of horses from his breeder, who's based here in Ontario -- Sweepea Dean is from the same farm and I know there are others too).

But Michele Mueller's Amistad is 3/4 TB, 1/4 Belgian (out of a nurse mare from Windfields farm). He has run 4*.

Rainier
Jul. 21, 2011, 01:52 AM
My old trainer had a 1/2 belgian 1/2 tb that she competed at Intermediate. I have a 1/2 tb, 1/4 qh, 1/4 clyde that I hope to compete at prelim at some point. We were just about to start training level when I had knee surgery this june ;( He has jumped 4'3" with a trainer out here though, so I'm not sure I have any more excuses!

Bobthehorse
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:26 PM
John Williams' Rolex Mount. I think COTH did a piece on him the last year he was at Rolex.

Not even kind of. Carrick was Canadian Sport Horse, 3/4 TB 1/8 Arab.

Big_Grey_hunter
Jul. 22, 2011, 04:39 PM
Not even kind of. Carrick was Canadian Sport Horse, 3/4 TB 1/8 Arab.

What was the last 1/8?

Bobthehorse
Jul. 22, 2011, 09:42 PM
What was the last 1/8?

Not mentioned in the pedigree, but either way far from a 50/50 draft cross.

And as an aside, Merloch is called everything from a TBx to a NZ TB, so if he is a full half Perch he really doesnt show it.

I always find it interesting that there are constantly conversations about WBs being too heavy for ULs, yet at the same time constantly conversations about how draft crosses arent.

nappingonthejob
Jul. 23, 2011, 08:58 AM
I own a horse by Carrick's sire (Cozy's Commander) and I had always been told that the "mystery" 1/8th or 1/16th was some kind of draft, but definitely not any more than 1/8th draft and DEFINITELY not Arab! The Canadian pedigree site is kind of vague though so I haven't really been able to figure it the exact percentage and what flavor of draft. Although, I did have one of our barn crazy ladies ask if my horse was an Arabian the other day, you know, because she's a gray! My eyes couldn't roll fast or hard enough.

(Incidentally, my mare is available for breeding lease! 16.1 hh but most people think she's taller because of her big honking shoulder, very well put together, great eventing bloodlines, has had multiple nice babies with no drama. PM me for more info & pictures...)