PDA

View Full Version : Cross country shipping

wickerchick
Jul. 18, 2011, 03:42 PM
Hello everyone,

I registered just so I could ask this question! I am moving from Delaware to Washington state and am trying to figure out the best way to ship my horse. I am definitely hiring a pro, and I think I have narrowed it down to two options.
1. A smaller company that stops every night and offloads for 8-10 hours. They say the trip will take about a week.
2. A big national company that only stops for short breaks but will have him there in 3 days.

I am torn between what the better choice is and I am hoping someone has some wisdom to offer me. My horse is a 12yr old OTTB that is laid back and has always shipped like a champ on our outings to shows/trail rides etc. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

coloredcowhorse
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:01 PM
Hello everyone,

I registered just so I could ask this question! I am moving from Delaware to Washington state and am trying to figure out the best way to ship my horse. I am definitely hiring a pro, and I think I have narrowed it down to two options.
1. A smaller company that stops every night and offloads for 8-10 hours. They say the trip will take about a week.
2. A big national company that only stops for short breaks but will have him there in 3 days.

I am torn between what the better choice is and I am hoping someone has some wisdom to offer me. My horse is a 12yr old OTTB that is laid back and has always shipped like a champ on our outings to shows/trail rides etc. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Talk to Paul Lynch, 4RailHorseTransport. He's bringing me two mares with foals and a couple others the end of this month from Wisconsin/Iowa to Nevada. Travels at night if really hot, daily stops with unload for stretching, napping. Reasonably priced and a horseman as well. Daily or more frequent contact. I like having stops...no matter how good a shipper they are horse guts and legs like to move around and horses like to rest from having to balance....even with air-ride systems there is swaying and jostling in the trailer and the continuous noise keeps them from resting much.

Bluey
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:47 PM
Talk to Paul Lynch, 4RailHorseTransport. He's bringing me two mares with foals and a couple others the end of this month from Wisconsin/Iowa to Nevada. Travels at night if really hot, daily stops with unload for stretching, napping. Reasonably priced and a horseman as well. Daily or more frequent contact. I like having stops...no matter how good a shipper they are horse guts and legs like to move around and horses like to rest from having to balance....even with air-ride systems there is swaying and jostling in the trailer and the continuous noise keeps them from resting much.

Someone asked me today how much are shippers charging a mile and I could not say, the prices seem to be changing so much.
He was wondering about hauling for someone 500 miles one way and didn't know what to charge.

On hauling straight thru but 3 days or hauling with long stops and taking 7 days, I say that is a wash, one is as good as another, the horses will be tired either way, that is a long haul.

If it was longer than at most 3 days, then yes, you really need to stop daily for that kind of haul.

Bacchus
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:05 AM
If I had to choose, I'd go for the three-day option. A big national company has probably done this a few times, so the three days is the norm for them and it must work. I'd hate to have to worry about my horse on the road for seven days.

I shipped my horse from Oregon to Kentucky about seven years ago. I used a recommended smaller company, and I was not happy:( My horse didn't seem too bad, but he had lost a little weight. Also, they were supposed to stay in stalls at night and not be tied, yet my horse came home with a broken halter. The handler said they were tied to the trailer so they could clean it and a horse freaked, which set my horse off. Why did they have to tie them if they stayed in stalls? One of the reasons I used this company was because they said they never tied the horses. Wish I had pushed it and not paid full price, but I was just happy to have my horse home.

Another friend of mine just paid a local woman $3,000 to drive from Kentucky to Wyoming, pick up three horses and drive them back. She did the whole trip in three days. Had a big trailer with three box stalls. Horses looked fantastic when they arrived.

Essie
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:20 AM
Several years ago, I had my horse shipped from VA to CA. I used Bob Hubbard. They were easy to work with and Essie arrived in fantastic shape. They are not the cheapest, but the service and the communication were outstanding.

mvp
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:40 AM
Hmm. Just to give you some data.

Just got a quote from Bob Hubbard for $2,200-- CT to OR. The trip would be 6 days or so. The trip gets broken up with lay overs in KY and CA. So some hauling stretches are long and some short.

It's hard to say which of your two companies would be better for your horse. But 3 days sounds like the horses get off the rig for one night in 2,500 miles or so. It also sounds unrealistically fast unless your horse is the last loaded and first delivered. I haven't called Blue Chip (rumored to the the best and most expensive) but I think $3,000 for anyone else doing a cross country hauls sounds steep.

JMO.

Bluey
Jul. 19, 2011, 09:51 AM
Bob Hubbard delivered a horse here after right at 1000 miles trip and they did have one overnight stop.

Remember that the large companies have horses to drop and pick up all along, so they are not driving straight thru.
The miles traveling end up being considerably longer than a straight haul from one destination to another would be.

One advantage of the large companies is that they good ones will tell you realistic numbers, the smaller ones hope they can make those numbers they give you to get you interested, but they don't always can do it.

I would go with a big company and work with their schedule, if it is long hauls with more stops, or longer hauls with less stops, whatever works for that trip your horse will fit in.

coloredcowhorse
Jul. 19, 2011, 10:17 AM
Cost for the 6 horses (2 mares with foals at side so box stalls plus two more, one adult mare and a two year old...all three adult mares are in foal...so I'm getting 9 "total") I'm having come from Wisconsin/Iowa to western northern NV is $3600 and time frame is 3 to 4 days depending on heat and night driving vs daytime.