PDA

View Full Version : Weed killing and no-till drilling - timing?

JB
Jul. 18, 2011, 03:38 PM
I have GOT to do both this year. Clover is out of control this year, as is the weed that has the tall shoots with the single "head" up top, you know, the stuff we'd pop off as kids, shooting them at other kids? I don't know what it's called.

But, I also must get some no-till drilling done in Sept-is.

I know there have been some weed-killing threads in the past, but please help me consolidate :)

What's the best time of year for these weeds?

What chemicals will have high kill but not have me keeping the horses stalled for a week?

Should I make sure I kill and leave X time before the seeding?

Tom King
Jul. 18, 2011, 04:50 PM
I don't know the real name for those weeds, but around here it's called "hopper grass (hoppagrass)". I'm not sure why other than maybe grasshoppers like it. Anyway, it's a broadleaf so 2,4,d will kill it any time-like now-and it will be long gone before Sept. I spray 2,4,d (pint and a half per acre) a couple of days before it's likely to rain in the pastures, and then don't worry about it after it rains for the horses.

subk
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:06 PM
I have GOT to do both this year. Clover is out of control this year, as is the weed that has the tall shoots with the single "head" up top, you know, the stuff we'd pop off as kids, shooting them at other kids? I don't know what it's called.
Plantain. Probably buckhorn plantain: http://www.google.com/search?q=buckhorn+plantain&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=nrskTrSWCY3ogQfwsri-Cw&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1150&bih=680

My county extension agent has recommended 2-4-D in the fall or late summer for buckhorn plantain in the past. Last time we weed killed we did it in the spring when it isn't up yet, and I have a bumper crop of them now. You're probably fine drilling and weed killing right on top of it. I've known people who have drilled then roundup-ed before the seed germination--but don't take my word for it!

I'll be interested in the suggested timing as I need to fertilize as well!

LMH
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:32 PM
GrazonNext is your friend.

http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/grazonnext.htm

No grazing restrictions.

JB
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:50 PM
Ah yes, it is indeed a variety of plaintain.

I wonder if you can cook the stuff - I could feed an army :rolleyes:

Grazon - I see it's "aminopyralid + 2,4-D". Is the addition of the aminopyralid for more killing, or more safety, or just a carrier? Curious.

JB
Jul. 18, 2011, 09:53 PM
Ok, I looked up aminopyralid - "Aminopyralid is of concern to vegetable growers as it can enter the food chain via manure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manure) which contains long lasting residues of the herbicide. It affects potatoes, tomatoes and beans, causing deformed plants, and poor or non-existent yields. Problems with manure contaminated with Aminopyralid residue surfaced in the UK in June and July 2008, and at the end of July 2008 Dow AgroSciences implemented an immediate suspension of UK sales and use of herbicides containing Aminopyralid."

If this means that using it will result in horses eating the forage and then having it in the manure which is deposited in stalls, which then ends up in my manure/compost pile and eventually into flower and veggie beds, then I'll have to pass.

Phaxxton
Jul. 18, 2011, 10:39 PM
Sorry to hijack, but it is related!

Has anyone used Pasture Pro (http://www.ruralking.com/pasture-pro-1-gal.html?utm_medium=google&utm_source=cse&cvsfa=1908&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=303730303130323739)? Like JB, I could also feed an army with these very same weeds, and I was considering Pasture Pro. (And I also need to seed in the early fall.)

Also - should we bush hog before spraying or just go ahead and spray as is?

mronthebit
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:13 AM
JB; I think you'll be fine with either Grazon or straight 2,4-D. One recommendation I have for you is to try to apply any chemical when the plants are small, green and actively growing (ie not in a drought when everything is burned off). That way you'll achieve a better kill. We have about 300 arable acres and we aim to do our summer pasture spraying a few days after a good rain in June or early July.

You might want to look at the application restrictions for plants in the booklet that comes with the product and don't apply the manure to your veggies until those restrictions have passed.