PDA

View Full Version : Sheep People

scrtwh
Jul. 18, 2011, 02:23 PM
What do you all use for trimming their little hooves? I did mine last night and was dissatisfied with the hoof knife and the nippers. It got done, and well, but... there has got to be an easier way.

Oh, and can I tell you the hysterically, funny memories of my husband and son football tackling the little wooly muffins... Oy, it will last alife time.:D

wireweiners
Jul. 18, 2011, 02:38 PM
My sister has sheep and I believe she uses hoof shears which look kind on like a very large pair of scissors or small hedge trimmers ( the old fashioned non mechanized kind). I don't think sheep and goat hooves are as hard as horses' hooves so you don't need the hoof nippers.

Nes
Jul. 18, 2011, 02:48 PM
... funny memories of my husband and son football tackling the little wooly muffins...

We elasticed our little guy last night, he's a bottle baby and was such a good boy about it, but it was... entertaining :).

Haven't done feet yet, if you've got a rocky area for them to wear their hooves down you should only need to do it once a year. (Def have to do it in the spring around here, because they are inside/on snow all winter)

kellidahorsegirl
Jul. 18, 2011, 03:03 PM
http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=74&criteria=hoof+trimmers

These :) Then you just trim the edges down 'evenly'.

that site is really good and may have some info for you to read :)

spinandslide
Jul. 18, 2011, 05:26 PM
I use the hoof shears..they do look alittle like scissors. Provided they are not dull, they are very easy to use.

I just did my sheep in the spring..I'll probably do them again in the fall. they arent on rocky soil, but on pasture..nothing for them to really wear them down on.

scrtwh
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys for your answers. I will invest in a pair of those hoof shears. My soil is sandy, and thier feet just don't wear down by themselves. :)

pj
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:49 PM
http://www.hoeggerfarmyard.com/xcart/Big-Brother-Hoof-Trimmers.html

In my forty plus years of keeping goats and sheep this is the trimmer I've found that's the best. Makes it really easy and they are sharp as a razor.

Brooke
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:48 PM
I used the small straight pruning shears. Worked great on all the sheep - lambs, ewes, even the rams.

Lalaith
Jul. 20, 2011, 12:54 PM
I second the pruning shears. They are cheaper than the hoof shears and do just as nice of a job.