PDA

View Full Version : here's an idea for ACTHA

jeano
Jul. 18, 2011, 12:07 PM
Yesterday's extreme trail challenge didnt involve ATV's (thank God) or road graders or trains.

We stopped about 5 miles from home to visit with a fellow who has a big truck garden. He blessed us with gifts of sweet corn and two watermelons.

My riding buddy looked pointedly at the little Stowaway packs on her endurance saddle and I realised it was Up To Me to get the fruits and veggies home. We decided the better part of valor was to go on home at the walk so that the melons wouldnt bruise the daylights out of my thighs.

Picture horn bags (big ones, thankfully) stuffed with ears of corn, and two fair-sized melons in plastic grocery sacks more or less secured to the saddle horn in back of the swells and more or less supported by my upper legs. The challenge was keeping the horse under me when the well meaning farmer shook out a grocery sack with a flourish right under my gelding's nose prior to handing me the watermelons.

We managed to not have too many trotting episodes for the return trip--not easy with our geldings, who are determined to give us a Good Time by trying to race each other at their favorite firebreaks and power lines. Then there was the dismounting issue--I had to offload at least one melon and give it a soft landing before I could dismount. I got the nearside bag with its melon and leaned over and deposited it in the seat of our riding mower in the barn. It bounced itself out and hit the ground but not as hard as it wouldve if I'd dropped it from halfway down the horse's side, which was my other option. Anyway, it didnt break. Next I will take some eggs horseback riding to give the farmer in exchange. I've done one mile egg transports to my local hunters but five miles will be trickier. Its always something.

paulaedwina
Jul. 18, 2011, 02:40 PM
That was an excellent story. The old folks up where I live used to shop via mule and gunny sack. Similar issues I am sure.

Paua

HorsingRound
Jul. 18, 2011, 07:16 PM
Carry the eggs inside a container filled with rice; bury the eggs in the rice.

AlfalfaGirl
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:42 PM
good idea!!! He can have fried rice!!

It sounds like quiet an adventure hauling veggies and melons. LOL ACTHA take note!!

tabula rashah
Jul. 19, 2011, 08:23 AM
LOL! I can totally relate. One time a friend and I were out riding and heading back from the trail we have to ride about a mile of back roads (really, really back road). As we came around a bend, 2 little kittens came running over and started rubbing around my friend's horse's legs. They had very obviously been dumped there. We were trying to figure out how to get them home with us because being total suckers we couldn't leave them there. We ended up deciding that my friend would stay with the kittens and I would ride to my parent's house (about a mile away) and borrow their cat carrier. So basically I carried a big cat carrier on my horse back to the kittens, caught the kittens and then took them in the carrier on my horse all the way back to my friend's house. (Did I mention I LOFF my mare- LOL!). Now about 10 years later, one of those kittens is the king of the barn and the other is the queen of the house:)

OldMorgans
Jul. 19, 2011, 06:02 PM
I can visualize so many ways that watermelon trip could have gone bad. So many really messy ways--really really messy. But then the horses would have been happy to clean it up.
Many years ago, I came across the UPS man about a mile from home. He stopped & said that he had something for me & he was running late, so here it is. Eeps--at least it was one of my small items & easy to carry.
Those kittens must have been dumped shortly before you found them. Around here, that is coyote dinner.

jeano
Jul. 23, 2011, 10:48 AM
Mother's cat, Itty Bitty S**tty Kitty, was a trail ride rescue and rode home in my shirt. She was so young her eyes were still blue and so little she could sit comfortably in the palm of my hand. There was not a trace of her momma or the rest of a litter. She was starving and dehydrated but by God she started squalling and running toward us from more than a tenth of a mile away, got between the horses, and rolled over on her back so we could admire the nice spots on her belly. What choice did we have but to scoop her up? She spent the next couple months of her life glued to my mother's lap. She is allowed outdoors and is still managing to elude coyotes, something I dont trust my own housecats to do.

She hasnt gone riding with me since that one time, though, and also hasnt ever again volunteered to get near horsie hoofs when I ride past mother's place.