PDA

View Full Version : Pedigree Help?

azdreamride
Jul. 17, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hello, I recently saved an OTTB he is now 17.

I was able to read his tattoo and get his racing record, but I am a newbie @ reading a pedigree-- could anyone give opinions...
good, bad, ugly etc. on what his pedigree looks like-- what are the horses from these lines like etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

here is a link--hopefully it works.
http://www.equineline.com/Free-5X-Pedigree.cfm?page_state=ORDER_AND_CONFIRM&reference_number=1451818

Thanks
Summer

danceronice
Jul. 17, 2011, 09:03 PM
This is Tejon, a 1994 model? (Making sure the link went to the right horse.)

As for pedigree, depends on what you want to do with him. My only guess without knowing that is with inbreeding to Bold Ruler and Nasrullah both, he's probably got a mind of his own..

azdreamride
Jul. 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
I just got him, and right now he is starving and in pretty bad condition, but I could see how he would have a mind of his own-- even with being weak and malnourished-- he still is pretty opinionated. Right now I have no plans for him-- his history is pretty unknown after he left the track, but he appears to either be accident prone or to have had a hard life-- He has old scars everywhere. Just was wondering if anyone had insight into what personality traits his ped. leans towards.

thanks!

gumtree
Jul. 18, 2011, 08:51 PM
The free 5X only gives the family names. Not the family pedigree per se (link did not work). If it is not an obscure family I maybe able to give you some insight. If you what to see his detailed pedigree that will cost you around $15. This will give you complete race records and breeding records of his half/full sisters and the rest of the family going back several generations.

danceronice
Jul. 18, 2011, 11:20 PM
Uh, you can figure out his family (several of whom are pretty well-known, if not sport-pedigree names) pretty easily for free. You can get HIS race record for free on equibase. I'm not sure if '94 model would still have charts available on equibase, but they might be (looked; they are. Sunland, Remington, and his last race was an eighth-place finish at Ruidoso Downs. In a claimer with eight horses where the only thing the person writing the notes said was "Trailed.") Caro, Foolish Pleasure, Exclusive Native and as mentioned inbreeding to Bold Ruler and Nasrullah (which to me would imply a double dose of stubborn and opinionated.)

He's a gelding and retired so unless his siblings and half-siblings have sport records (and at 17 he's getting old for that, even) it's not really important for him except as trivia.

http://www.brisnet.com/cgi-bin/fc_display.cgi?userfile=P4154129955753

I'd love to know why his connections kept racing him, honestly. He ran 1996-2000 and only made around $11k.

azdreamride
Jul. 19, 2011, 11:10 AM
thanks for the info-- yes, I have seen the pedigree, and looked at all of his info on the races--I wondered the same thing-- why did they keep racing him if he gave less than stellar performances?? I would love to know what has happened to him after he left the track, but that will probably always remain a mystery. Right now I think most of his opinion is based on just being hungry....but I'm interested to see what he is like when he gets healthy-- he his huge by the way a good 16'3-17'0hands, so I hope he is at least a little bit polite--

I also wish they had the videos of his races--but he is too old--I don't think they started that until mid 2000's

Langfuhr
Jul. 19, 2011, 12:57 PM
Good luck with him!

deserthorses5
Jul. 29, 2011, 09:08 AM
I have an OTTB, a grandson of Storm Cat, who was notorious for his attitude. Never won in 7 races...was sent to TB Friends, in Sacramento, CA, a large TB rescue. Mine is very friendly, but once in a while, his "tude" comes out. I let him just be a horse for a year and now he is in re-training for trails. Lovely mover, wonderful, friendly gelding! Comes right over to me for nuzzles and kisses! Good luck with yours!